Post cruise minibar charges

mickrory

Recently back from Celebrity cruise to find "minibar charge $11.05" on final account statement. We were on a drinks package and knowing minibar is not covered by drinks package we never touched  the mini bar apart from putting water in.

Is this practice widespread? Lucrative sideline if say only 50% of people complain about it. For me it takes a bit of the edge off what was a fantastic cruise/vacation. 

I never got minibar charges.  Some people asks to empty the minibar, I think mostly to use it for "own" drinks, and not for such charges, but for next time, this could be a useful trick.

On the other hand, sometime I had error on statements (bar which charged drinks on drink packages), but this is easier, because we can check it before disembarking, and so solve it onboard.

There have been various posts about this. It seems if you contact Celebrity and query the charge, it is almost invariably refunded. 

Phone number for X UK - 01932 834300 to avoid the premium rate number.

I know what you mean re taking the edge off! Good luck

We have recently returned from Explorer if the Seas. The fridge was empty, so we could put our 2 bottles of wine straight in. Think this is the way to do it, after all. How many people buy at Mini bar prices when they have a drinks package?

Our last two cruises this year on the Summit and the Edge we were charged with additional mini bar charges.  We called CC and bill was reversed. We usually empty mini bar and will do on ever cruise henceforth. We also had drink package and never use the bar in the room. On the last cruise we actually left an additional Diet Coke in the fridge. Let's hope this practice stops. 

I haven't had a problem with charges in quite a number of years.   Going back 3-4 years we were hit with charges on almost every cruise post sailing.   Calling OneTouch always got them credited quickly.   I have a ritual now  and take a picture of the inside of the refrigerator at the beginning and end of each cruise.  

• Like 1

Tons of threads on CC about this issue across many cruise lines. A quick call or email will resolve it quickly. Given the number of passengers who have the fridge emptied, and the few who buy anything even if they leave it full, I wonder why they don't just make an empty fridge the default position. During online check in, you could ask to have it stocked if you wanted. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Tons of threads on CC about this issue across many cruise lines. A quick call or email will resolve it quickly. Given the number of passengers who have the fridge emptied, and the few who buy anything even if they leave it full, I wonder why they don't just make an empty fridge the default position. During online check in, you could ask to have it stocked if you wanted. 

That is an excellent idea and worthy of its own forum topic. We always empty the fridge and use it for our own purpose. I agree that very fer cruisers buy anything from it. Maybe Celebrity is listening?

From experience, it seems Royal has empty mini-bars, Celebrity does not. On our April Eclipse cruise, the fridge had some alcohol, one can of expired Coke, and something else.... obviously, nowhere near a full/properly stocked mini-bar, and we raised our concern with the steward. He said "Don't worry about it.". So we took a picture of the contents, and did not worry about it. On the last day, I left a note for bar services that we did not purchase anything from the mini-bar (this is something I have done on every cruise recently), and it seemed to work.

Additionally, it is personnel from bar services who supply and maintain the mini-bar, so IMO it's not right to ask the cabin steward to empty it. If necessary, we take 60 seconds and empty it ourselves.

OP, sorry this was a sour note and I would be a little upset, too. Phone Celebrity and the charge should be reversed.

This happened to us last February.   When I called to have it taken off she said it was pop or water (can't remember the exact item or cost), and I told her we had the drink package.  If anything, we ADDED unopened cans of pop and bottles of water to it!   They took the charge right off, but imagine the money they make over time with the people that don't notice, or don't bother to have it removed.     This was not on my statement left in the room the night before either,  so I did not know until my charge bill came.

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We have recently returned from Explorer if the Seas. The fridge was empty, so we could put our 2 bottles of wine straight in. Think this is the way to do it, after all. How many people buy at Mini bar prices when they have a drinks package?

That's great if you're cruising RC. The OP was on a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity doesn't empty the cooler/mini bar. 

10 hours ago, mickrory said:

Recently back from Celebrity cruise to find "minibar charge $11.05" on final account statement. We were on a drinks package and knowing minibar is not covered by drinks package we never touched  the mini bar apart from putting water in.

Is this practice widespread? Lucrative sideline if say only 50% of people complain about it. For me it takes a bit of the edge off what was a fantastic cruise/vacation. 

Just returned from a Summit cruise. Never experienced any mini bar charges from this cruise or past cruises.  

Generally the mini bar is locked on the last evening of the cruise. We always go to Guest Services after that happens and request a final bill. We've not had a problem. The suggestion above taking a picture before and after is a good one we may adopt, although requesting that the bar be emptied upon embarkation is also a good idea.

Fascinating thread!  I have been reading several threads about cutbacks on Celebrity, from in room movies to tote bags, etc. It seems to me that if no one is using the mini bar, not buying items and having an empty mini fridge would be a great way Celebrity could save money!!!  People who wanted a stocked mini bar could always request it.

14 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Generally the mini bar is locked on the last evening of the cruise. We always go to Guest Services after that happens and request a final bill. We've not had a problem. The suggestion above taking a picture before and after is a good one we may adopt, although requesting that the bar be emptied upon embarkation is also a good idea.

Interesting. I've never had my mini bar locked on any cruise, Celebrity or other. 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:56 PM, davekathy said:

That's great if you're cruising RC. The OP was on a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity doesn't empty the cooler/mini bar. 

We  ask our attendant to empty it.

And they have  complied.  It is  a useless cooler so sometimes we ignore it.

Pet peeve is having them start readying the cabin the night before we leave ...

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Interesting. I've never had my mini bar locked on any cruise, Celebrity or other. 

For at least the past 4-5 years (maybe longer) we've found it locked after evening turn down each cruise on the last night. 

Edited by Luvcrusn
correction

Do you normally have it emptied? We do, and usually still have a few things of our own in it when they do the final evening turn down. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were to take our things, restock and then lock it, but so far that has hasn't happened with us.

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Do you normally have it emptied? We do, and usually still have a few things of our own in it when they do the final evening turn down. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were to take our things, restock and then lock it, but so far that has hasn't happened with us.

Sometimes we have it emptied sometimes not. 

Just returned from Infinity and our mini bar was emptied on the first night. Checked my bill on the last night and everything was OK. We got home and a further charge had been put on our account, how could this happen when the fridge was still empty when we left the ship.

Celebrity seem to be making a few bob with this.

We rang Celebrity and asked for the refund and pointed out that the fridge was empty on our leaving. Not even an apology.

Emptying the refrigerator does zilch.  I don't even understand why people think that's a solution.  Those emptied contents go in a bag somewhere (often under the bed or on the shelf) and then get put right back.  If something was missing before, it will be missing again and will be charged to the person last occupying the room.

More likely is that the person running the charges typed in the wrong room number or the person doing the restocking wrote down the wrong room number.  There are reports all over Cruise Critic of this happening with regularity on other cruise lines.  I've had it happen on HAL in the middle of a cruise when I was charged for a regular soda that 1) I would never drink and 2) was still in the refrigerator.  They apologized for the mistake and removed the charge just as Celebrity will, if you contact them.