Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mickrory

Post cruise minibar charges

Recommended Posts

Recently back from Celebrity cruise to find "minibar charge $11.05" on final account statement. We were on a drinks package and knowing minibar is not covered by drinks package we never touched  the mini bar apart from putting water in.

Is this practice widespread? Lucrative sideline if say only 50% of people complain about it. For me it takes a bit of the edge off what was a fantastic cruise/vacation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never got minibar charges.  Some people asks to empty the minibar, I think mostly to use it for "own" drinks, and not for such charges, but for next time, this could be a useful trick.

 

On the other hand, sometime I had error on statements (bar which charged drinks on drink packages), but this is easier, because we can check it before disembarking, and so solve it onboard.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always, on entering the cabin, get the cabin steward to empty the fridge. It’s then ours to use as we like with bottles of water etc from the drinks package.

We’ve yet to meet someone who buys drinks from the mini bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been various posts about this. It seems if you contact Celebrity and query the charge, it is almost invariably refunded. 

Phone number for X UK - 01932 834300 to avoid the premium rate number.

I know what you mean re taking the edge off! Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have recently returned from Explorer if the Seas. The fridge was empty, so we could put our 2 bottles of wine straight in. Think this is the way to do it, after all. How many people buy at Mini bar prices when they have a drinks package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, sorry that happened and I would say good catch!  If that happens frequently, I bet not many people catch it.  If you had a fab cruise otherwise, I don't think I'd let $11 bucks detract from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our last two cruises this year on the Summit and the Edge we were charged with additional mini bar charges.  We called CC and bill was reversed. We usually empty mini bar and will do on ever cruise henceforth. We also had drink package and never use the bar in the room. On the last cruise we actually left an additional Diet Coke in the fridge. Let's hope this practice stops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a problem with charges in quite a number of years.   Going back 3-4 years we were hit with charges on almost every cruise post sailing.   Calling OneTouch always got them credited quickly.   I have a ritual now  and take a picture of the inside of the refrigerator at the beginning and end of each cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tons of threads on CC about this issue across many cruise lines. A quick call or email will resolve it quickly. Given the number of passengers who have the fridge emptied, and the few who buy anything even if they leave it full, I wonder why they don't just make an empty fridge the default position. During online check in, you could ask to have it stocked if you wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Tons of threads on CC about this issue across many cruise lines. A quick call or email will resolve it quickly. Given the number of passengers who have the fridge emptied, and the few who buy anything even if they leave it full, I wonder why they don't just make an empty fridge the default position. During online check in, you could ask to have it stocked if you wanted. 

That is an excellent idea and worthy of its own forum topic. We always empty the fridge and use it for our own purpose. I agree that very fer cruisers buy anything from it. Maybe Celebrity is listening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From experience, it seems Royal has empty mini-bars, Celebrity does not. On our April Eclipse cruise, the fridge had some alcohol, one can of expired Coke, and something else.... obviously, nowhere near a full/properly stocked mini-bar, and we raised our concern with the steward. He said "Don't worry about it.". So we took a picture of the contents, and did not worry about it. On the last day, I left a note for bar services that we did not purchase anything from the mini-bar (this is something I have done on every cruise recently), and it seemed to work.

 

Additionally, it is personnel from bar services who supply and maintain the mini-bar, so IMO it's not right to ask the cabin steward to empty it. If necessary, we take 60 seconds and empty it ourselves.

 

OP, sorry this was a sour note and I would be a little upset, too. Phone Celebrity and the charge should be reversed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one of our more recent cruises we have had a post cruise charge from the mini fridge. But a quick call to Captains Club and it was resolved quickly. 

Always remember to check your credit card statement after your cruise for any extra charges.

We always remove the mini fridge contents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened to us last February.   When I called to have it taken off she said it was pop or water (can't remember the exact item or cost), and I told her we had the drink package.  If anything, we ADDED unopened cans of pop and bottles of water to it!   They took the charge right off, but imagine the money they make over time with the people that don't notice, or don't bother to have it removed.     This was not on my statement left in the room the night before either,  so I did not know until my charge bill came.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We have recently returned from Explorer if the Seas. The fridge was empty, so we could put our 2 bottles of wine straight in. Think this is the way to do it, after all. How many people buy at Mini bar prices when they have a drinks package?

That's great if you're cruising RC. The OP was on a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity doesn't empty the cooler/mini bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mickrory said:

Recently back from Celebrity cruise to find "minibar charge $11.05" on final account statement. We were on a drinks package and knowing minibar is not covered by drinks package we never touched  the mini bar apart from putting water in.

Is this practice widespread? Lucrative sideline if say only 50% of people complain about it. For me it takes a bit of the edge off what was a fantastic cruise/vacation. 

Just returned from a Summit cruise. Never experienced any mini bar charges from this cruise or past cruises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally the mini bar is locked on the last evening of the cruise. We always go to Guest Services after that happens and request a final bill. We've not had a problem. The suggestion above taking a picture before and after is a good one we may adopt, although requesting that the bar be emptied upon embarkation is also a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating thread!  I have been reading several threads about cutbacks on Celebrity, from in room movies to tote bags, etc. It seems to me that if no one is using the mini bar, not buying items and having an empty mini fridge would be a great way Celebrity could save money!!!  People who wanted a stocked mini bar could always request it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Generally the mini bar is locked on the last evening of the cruise. We always go to Guest Services after that happens and request a final bill. We've not had a problem. The suggestion above taking a picture before and after is a good one we may adopt, although requesting that the bar be emptied upon embarkation is also a good idea.

Interesting. I've never had my mini bar locked on any cruise, Celebrity or other. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 2:56 PM, davekathy said:

That's great if you're cruising RC. The OP was on a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity doesn't empty the cooler/mini bar. 

We  ask our attendant to empty it.

And they have  complied.  It is  a useless cooler so sometimes we ignore it.

 

Pet peeve is having them start readying the cabin the night before we leave ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Interesting. I've never had my mini bar locked on any cruise, Celebrity or other. 

 

For at least the past 4-5 years (maybe longer) we've found it locked after evening turn down each cruise on the last night. 

Edited by Luvcrusn
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you normally have it emptied? We do, and usually still have a few things of our own in it when they do the final evening turn down. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were to take our things, restock and then lock it, but so far that has hasn't happened with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Do you normally have it emptied? We do, and usually still have a few things of our own in it when they do the final evening turn down. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were to take our things, restock and then lock it, but so far that has hasn't happened with us.

Sometimes we have it emptied sometimes not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from Infinity and our mini bar was emptied on the first night. Checked my bill on the last night and everything was OK. We got home and a further charge had been put on our account, how could this happen when the fridge was still empty when we left the ship.

Celebrity seem to be making a few bob with this.

 

We rang Celebrity and asked for the refund and pointed out that the fridge was empty on our leaving. Not even an apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emptying the refrigerator does zilch.  I don't even understand why people think that's a solution.  Those emptied contents go in a bag somewhere (often under the bed or on the shelf) and then get put right back.  If something was missing before, it will be missing again and will be charged to the person last occupying the room.

 

More likely is that the person running the charges typed in the wrong room number or the person doing the restocking wrote down the wrong room number.  There are reports all over Cruise Critic of this happening with regularity on other cruise lines.  I've had it happen on HAL in the middle of a cruise when I was charged for a regular soda that 1) I would never drink and 2) was still in the refrigerator.  They apologized for the mistake and removed the charge just as Celebrity will, if you contact them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...