Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ski ww

transport from Amsterdam Airport to city

Recommended Posts

What's the best way to get from the airport into the city, train, taxi? We're staying at the Movenpik which is were the ship docks.

Allan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Movenpick either a cab (around E. 60,-) Uber (around E. 40) or train to Centraal Station (E. 4.50 one way per person), walk from there in about 10/15 minutes (take northern exit and continue to walk along the water)  or take tramnr. 26 from the center exit for about 2 stops. Tramtickets must be paid by credit or bankcard, no cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, train sounds good we only have one suitcase each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Train tickets costs €1 extra if you buy them at the station. To avoid this surcharge you can buy tickets online at the NS website or via the NS extra app. The NS website and the app both have an English version and both accept foreign credit cards. See https://www.ns.nl/en

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Train tickets costs €1 extra if you buy them at the station. To avoid this surcharge you can buy tickets online at the NS website or via the NS extra app. The NS website and the app both have an English version and both accept foreign credit cards. See https://www.ns.nl/en

Is it still possible to buy the 'stripkart' (sp???) for 10 tram trips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

 

4 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Train tickets costs €1 extra if you buy them at the station. To avoid this surcharge you can buy tickets online at the NS website or via the NS extra app. The NS website and the app both have an English version and both accept foreign credit cards. See https://www.ns.nl/en

Is it still possible to buy the 'stripkart' (sp???) for 10 tram trips?

 

The strippenkaart has been discontinued since 2011. When it was in use, you could use it to travel on the bus, tram and metro, not on trains. It has been replaced by an OV chipcard, but you can also buy single journey tickets or (multi)day tickets. If you want advice on what type of ticket is best, I suggest you start your own topic and explain how long you will visit, where you will stay and how often you will use public transport  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The strippenkaart has been discontinued since 2011. When it was in use, you could use it to travel on the bus, tram and metro, not on trains. It has been replaced by an OV chipcard, but you can also buy single journey tickets or (multi)day tickets. If you want advice on what type of ticket is best, I suggest you start your own topic and explain how long you will visit, where you will stay and how often you will use public transport  

 

Thanks for the info.  I am in Amsterdam/Schiphol area once a month, but just had a 'memory flash' of the strippenkaart and wondered if they were still around or had been discontinued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a group of 4 arriving to go to a hotel near Leidesplein (can't remember the spelling).  Is there a van service to take us?  We will be too big for a cab.  I'm the youngest at age 60 so I'd like to make it easy.  More family arrives the next day so they may want to do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the airport you will likely see some vans, but not that many.  Jusr follow the signs to the official  taxistand. Be aware of cowboydrivers that might offer their service to you., doot go with them.

Although Uber also exists, they cannot pick up at the terminal but elsewhere at the airport. There is no UberXL so that will not work for your group.

Maybe you better  try to book your transport in advance.

Check e.g. thse sites. https://www.taxicentrale-schiphol.nl/en/

https://www.sthtaxi.nl/

https://dutchpremiumdrivers.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ine,

 

Thank you so much for those websites.  Having transportation all set up will be wonderful.  After a long flight, i know everyone will be tired.  This will make it easier on everyone.  (especially me).  My sister and husband just got to their ship in Venice (without his luggage, lost by airline).  This is the 2nd year that they have had flight cancellations at the last minute.  With my older cousins going this will make at least one more piece of the trip set.   I have 2 more questions.   Do you tip the drivers?  and how much?  

 

Michelle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he gives some service like helping with the luggage etc., yes tip him like E. 2 to 5,- We often roundup the amount. Like when the fare is 55 we give him 60. Again depending the service and friendliness of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...