Who drinks tea?

davy jones

An article today on CNN.com quoted the following statistics on food consumption.  While I do not doubt the numbers, the amount of tea consumed per day seems low to me.  Perhaps it is because DW is a tea drinker.  I asked her and she says that she cuts her tea consumption to 5 cups per day while on a cruise (I actually thought that it was higher than that.)  That means that she account for 1% of the ship's daily tea consumption.  Holy buzz!

I know that the US is more of a coffee driven country and the numbers reflect that.  But, there are many passengers from countries where tea is more common than coffee.  I would think that 500 cups of hot tea would be consumed at breakfast alone.  I wonder if iced tea is included in the numbers.

Perhaps I overestimate the number of tea drinkers.  Therefore, I ask how many of you drink tea (hot or iced) on cruise.  I am a coffee drinker, but do drink iced tea with lemon at home.  On a cruise, I mix iced tea with lemonade for an Arnold Palmer.

Norwegian Bliss

Year of entry into service: 2018
Operator Norwegian Cruise Line
Number of staterooms: 2,043
Number of guests: 4,004 (at double occupancy)
Number of crew: 1,716
Gross tonnage: 168,028
26 dining venues and 22 bars and lounges
Number of eggs used per day: 10,000
Amount of potatoes prepared per day: 2,143 pounds
Amount of beef products per day: 2,429 pounds
Amount of chicken products per day: 3,357 pounds
Loaves of bread baked per day: 1,071
Number of bottles of wine per week: 1,800
Pizzas per day: 571
Amount of chocolate per day: 97 kilograms
Cups of tea per day: 400-600
Cups of coffee per day: 4,000-5,500
Bottles of Champagne and sparkling wine per week: 1,600
Uniforms pressed each day: 300 kilograms, or 1,500 items
Laundry washed per day: Approximately 5,000 kilograms

3 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I wonder if the amount of tea is both iced tea and hot tea?  My wife has yet to get a decent glass of iced tea on a cruise ship.  For hot tea she gets the tea bags from the buffet and makes her own.

I agree on the iced tea.  It is very inconsistent, probably because of the concentrate and/or the dispensing machine.  That is why I mix it with the lemonade.  It make it much better.

I drink more tea on ships because the free coffee is so bad. The iced tea isn't too bad mixed with the mango drink or lemonade.

I do love a cup of hot tea in the afternoon when they put the scones out in the Garden Café.

One other thought from that list, I have to wonder if the champagne numbers are falling now that the least expensive glass is still over the $15 limit?  That is my drink of choice, but not on NCL anymore.

I enjoy hot tea at home and iced tea in lieu of soda (pop) when out and about.   The article is alarming but it does say that they tested the fancy plastic mesh tea bags like tea forte and not the standard paper bags of "yore".  The bags are what is releasing the microbits of plastic, so use a non-plastic bag and you're golden. 

It makes sense that the fancy plastic teabags are not ideal;  they don't compost.   I'm just embarassed that I was hooked by their asthetics - I'm such an easy mark.  

I do not like ice tea.

At home, I'm mainly a coffee drinker but in the winter months I generally have a cup of herbal tea at night. Chamomile is great just before bedtime.

Completely opposite on cruises. I drink herbal hot tea, no coffee. Maybe 5 to 7 cups per day. I always look forward to tea & chocolate chips cookies late afternoon at the Great Outdoors. 

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

My wife drinks tea (she doesn’t like coffee), but her consumption wouldn’t be counted as she prefers her tea to actually taste of something so brings her own bags rather than use the ones they have onboard which colour the water without adding any flavour at all.

I am surprised to hear this. As a tea drinker, I enjoy the flavor of:

Apple Cinnamon

Mint

Orange

Lemon

Chamomile

I love mine straight up but have sat with UK passengers who add milk and sugar. 

4 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I am surprised to hear this. As a tea drinker, I enjoy the flavor of:

Apple Cinnamon

Mint

Orange

Lemon

Chamomile

I love mine straight up but have sat with UK passengers who add milk and sugar. 

Sorry, I didn’t really word my post very well.

My wife doesn’t drink the flavoured teas, just the plain tea, but the one that NCL uses is apparently really bad, so she takes her own, and has very little taste.

Ive heard similar comments from others.

In Europe they often also have PG, but it is not always available, so she has been taking her own for a few years now.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:15 AM, davy jones said:
Number of guests: 4,004 (at double occupancy)
Number of crew: 1,716

Cups of tea per day: 400-600

Cups of coffee per day: 4,000-5,500

These amounts seem very low to me for both coffee & tea...

I generally drink a cup of tea/day & multiple cups of coffee / day

I may not be the norm  --  but w/ 5,720 persons on-board (guests & crew) - that's less than 1 cup coffee per person average & only about 10% of the population averages a single cup of tea / day...

Does anyone know if Chai tea is available - either hot or iced? I may have to bring some with me if it is not offered.

I have the UBP perk, I don't drink much, but am looking forward to trying some fruity drinks and frozen concoctions! 

Cheers!

The iced tea isn't great but I drink it usually with a splash of lemonade.

I do use the teabags too for hot tea sometimes. Or I make a cup of hot and cool it in the fridge for decent iced tea. 

I've noticed at least 2-3 times that they have run out of chamomile team bags by day 5 or 6.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, ckre4d said:

Does anyone know if Chai tea is available - either hot or iced? I may have to bring some with me if it is not offered.

I have the UBP perk, I don't drink much, but am looking forward to trying some fruity drinks and frozen concoctions! 

Cheers!

It may be in the specialty coffee bar, but it's not readily available on the ship.  NCL uses Lipton, so you'll get black, peppermint, decaf, and possibly and orange or chamomile (if you ask and they haven't run out.)  I'll be taking some tea with me (actually, I"m looking forward to picking up some new flavors in Victoria) next week. 

• Thanks 1

Guess I accounted for 1% of the Bliss daily tea consumption last week. I drank hot tea at the Garden Cafe buffet, Observation Lounge, Studio Lounge, two of the MDRs, the pan-Asian Food Republic, the "we actually have a dress code" Le Bistro, and La Cucina. 

What surprised me is that every single one of these venues offered only Lipton tea bags. I would have expected something more posh (or at least better disguised) at the specialty restaurants. Silly me.

I love iced tea but the version served last week tasted really odd. Was it based on herbal tea? Whatever it was, I gave up on it and switched to the hot tea which I could at least identify.

Lesson learned: pack a few cartons of Twinings if I sail on NCL again.

Edited by coastcat