Drink package & pregnancy

Chicity Traveler

I have already checked in for my cruise and I am contemplating getting the drink package. Within the last couple of days we find out that my wife is pregnant, so that means that she isn't drinking.  The website states that both parties in the cabin must purchase the package. can I still purchase the package even though my wife can't drink.

42 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

No, Carnival will not make any exceptions to this rule.

This is not true in our experience. Our last cruise my wife and I got the Cheers package. In the time between booking and the start of the cruise, she got pregnant. She put on her file before the cruise that she was pregnant (since they will only let you board if you are less than a certain number of weeks). She brought a note from her doctor and her cost of the Cheers package was refunded when we were on the ship. They may still make you purchase it upfront, but it was at least refunded for us. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scrapcat09 said:

This is not true in our experience. Our last cruise my wife and I got the Cheers package. In the time between booking and the start of the cruise, she got pregnant. She put on her file before the cruise that she was pregnant (since they will only let you board if you are less than a certain number of weeks). She brought a note from her doctor and her cost of the Cheers package was refunded when we were on the ship. They may still make you purchase it upfront, but it was at least refunded for us. 

I've never heard of or read where your case was THE case. There have been countless people on CC who have tried that with doctors notes being pregnant where it still did not matter to Carnival .......

• Like 3

I love how people think they know what has happened on every Carnival cruise ship EVER just because they know of one or two people who were refused or they *heard* about someone being refused. 😂🤣

Here is a screenshot from Cruzely. They discuss an exception for pregnancy. 

Bottom line: You aren't going to know unless you ask.  Call and ask customer service before you buy the package or wait until you board and ask customer service before you buy. I would offer to provide evidence of the pregnancy like a Dr's note.  

Screenshot_20190928-195415.png

The safest thing to do is to wait until on board and try and plead your case.  Until this specific post, I have never heard of anyone getting a loophole, regardless if someone is pregnant.  At least on board you'll have the doctors note in hand, but they are really getting quite strict about the package.  And it's a lot of money to potentially blow.

16 minutes ago, xitappers2bx said:

The safest thing to do is to wait until on board and try and plead your case.  Until this specific post, I have never heard of anyone getting a loophole, regardless if someone is pregnant.  At least on board you'll have the doctors note in hand, but they are really getting quite strict about the package.  And it's a lot of money to potentially blow.

Because you would be surprised at the number of people who try and scam their way into one shared cheers card. 

Edited by jimbo5544

14 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

That would be so crappy if Carnival did not let you purchase it individually if you had a Dr. note to prove your wife is pregnant. 

The crappy part is people likely scammed Carnival in the past, thus the rule...  Look at the number of people on these boards who find it acceptable to share Cheers, etc.!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

That would be so crappy if Carnival did not let you purchase it individually if you had a Dr. note to prove your wife is pregnant. 

Except, she can still drink specialty teas, (hot and cold bottled) coffee, shakes, smoothies, and bottled water as well as soda. We sat next to a woman at the Alchemy bar on the Glory who wasn’t drinking alcohol but two of the bar tenders were making her non alcoholic drinks that were really creative and fun.  So, she can’t drink alcohol and it would be hard to justify the cost w/o it but she CAN use the package if he really wants to get it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Except, she can still drink specialty teas, (hot and cold bottled) coffee, shakes, smoothies, and bottled water as well as soda. We sat next to a woman at the Alchemy bar on the Glory who wasn’t drinking alcohol but two of the bar tenders were making her non alcoholic drinks that were really creative and fun.  So, she can’t drink alcohol and it would be hard to justify the cost w/o it but she CAN use the package if he really wants to get it.

This is where I wish Carnival had a non alcoholic beverage package (not just bottomless bubbles). 

9 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

What if one person in the room is a recovering alcoholic, or allergic to alcohol, or has liver problems, or .... If Pregnancy was an across the board medical exemption from purchasing the package I could see that opening a can of worms.

Purchasing Cheers is not a right.

If Cheers does not work for the occupants of the room, why can't people just leave it at that?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cmichael1279 said:

The crappy part is people likely scammed Carnival in the past, thus the rule...  Look at the number of people on these boards who find it acceptable to share Cheers, etc.!

I have never seen anyone on these boards say that...not ever. I've only seen folks talk about how unacceptable it is to share and why don't people understand that 🙈

• Haha 1

I've never heard of anyone getting exceptions until this post.  What I would do is put the money for cheers on a Carnival gift card.  If you get the exception once you're on the ship, great, use the gift card to pay for it.  If not, just load the gift card to your account, and the person that can drink won't have to deal with a large bill at the end.  If there's money left over, just cash out and be done.  

2 hours ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

I have never seen anyone on these boards say that...not ever. I've only seen folks talk about how unacceptable it is to share and why don't people understand that 🙈

I have seen people ask/brag about sharing here. “I wont drink 15 drinks so I can share with spouse because I paid for 15”; “just a little juice for my child (every day)”; etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:08 PM, Eli_6 said:

I love how people think they know what has happened on every Carnival cruise ship EVER just because they know of one or two people who were refused or they *heard* about someone being refused. 😂🤣

Here is a screenshot from Cruzely. They discuss an exception for pregnancy. 

Bottom line: You aren't going to know unless you ask.  Call and ask customer service before you buy the package or wait until you board and ask customer service before you buy. I would offer to provide evidence of the pregnancy like a Dr's note.  

Screenshot_20190928-195415.png

I sailed while pregnant.  When we were planning, we were told by a Carnival employee that we could get an exemption.  I got the doctors note.  When we booked we were told I could not get an exemption.  
We waited until we boarded and went to purchase one for the cabin.  They said no.  We pled our case.  They said no.  We tried customer service since we had been told by a Carnival employee that we could.  They said no. 

We did not buy the package. 

I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be, but I've seen many people say they were refused personally.  This thread is actually the first story I've ever heard of someone being granted an exception. 

Edited by 1kaper