Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lorri111

Atlas of the cruise

Recommended Posts

This seems to be listed as a platinum perk and I was wondering exactly what it was. I have always thought an electronic map of the voyage showing where the ship was at any point in time would have been fun to have onboard and so the idea of an atlas is appealing. It seems to be "on request" - how and at what point of cruise would you request this and from whom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you are referring to, but I suspect it is what I describe below.

 

The "Cruise Atlas" (now called "Destination Collection") is a catalog of Princess cruises covering a year. The current version covers April 2020 to May 2021. Some consider it the Princess equivalent to the old Sears "wish book".

 

It is not something on the ship, but is a brochure you can order on the Princess web site. Although automatically mailed to those with Platinum or Elite status, anyone can order a copy on the Princess web site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that, not what I was thinking at all. I thought it was something to do with each particular cruise. I just checked captains circle info and it does indeed say this, though when I looked at it a week or so ago I am sure it was different, must have just updated the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You receive a summary of the cruise document on the last evening that documents the route taken, port activity and other navigation info, but every cabin gets that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a nautical chart of the cruise voyage that I think they auction off for charity.  I've never been interested and I am just vaguely aware of this.  It is the chart that is posted behind glass on the Lido deck, starboard, just outside the doors to the Horizon Court., which the ship's officers update every day of the journey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, steelers36 said:

You receive a summary of the cruise document on the last evening that documents the route taken, port activity and other navigation info, but every cabin gets that.

 

We have not received this the last two cruises. I've read it was a casualty of cost cutting,  but can't be sure.

 

The atlas the OP refers to has to be the thing now called Destination Collections. That's the thing that is a Platinum perk.

 

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

We have not received this the last two cruises. I've read it was a casualty of cost cutting,  but can't be sure.

 

The atlas the OP refers to has to be the thing now called Destination Collections. That's the thing that is a Platinum perk.

 

Jim

Ditto. I thought the “Log of the Cruise” given on the last day had been retired. Haven’t seen it in a while but who knows. 
 

-Andrew 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that summary last week on the Ruby Princess.  I think it was the only handout I kept

 

The electronic map referenced by OP can be found on the TV in the cabin. 
 

Edited by subwayrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, subwayrider said:

I got that summary last week on the Ruby Princess.  I think it was the only handout I kept

 

The electronic map referenced by OP can be found on the TV in the cabin. 
 

I don't remember a real time electronic map on the tv showing current location, only the webcam - not on our cruises. Is it new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Atlas has been part of the perks for 15 plus years.

The log of the cruise is now usually available at the PSD.

Stewart stopped passing it out a couple of years ago.

If they do pass it out they have to personally go down and get some to leave on the cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Atlas has been part of the perks for 15 plus years.

The log of the cruise is now usually available at the PSD.

Stewart stopped passing it out a couple of years ago.

If they do pass it out they have to personally go down and get some to leave on the cabins.

IDK how they get it (as in if it is on their own initiative), but we have received them in the past two years.  I know we received at least one for the two cruises we have been on so far this year.  I am not 100% certain on the other, but I am quite sure we got one then as well.  I don't keep them, but often glance it over before tossing in to the can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lorri111 said:

I don't remember a real time electronic map on the tv showing current location, only the webcam - not on our cruises. Is it new?

 

I don't know how new it is because it was my first time on that ship.  It wasn't grouped with the TV channels, it was in a section labeled "applications" and they had the map and a weather app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, arowe6 said:

Ditto. I thought the “Log of the Cruise” given on the last day had been retired. Haven’t seen it in a while but who knows. 
 

-Andrew 🙂

We did not receive it in our room last cruise but it was available at the customer service desk for those who want it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Atlas has been part of the perks for 15 plus years.

The log of the cruise is now usually available at the PSD.

Stewart stopped passing it out a couple of years ago.

If they do pass it out they have to personally go down and get some to leave on the cabins.

 

 

We received one in February 2109, but not in July or September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just check the web site and the Atlas can only be downloaded. Don't want it on the computer rather have it in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1Gizmo said:

Just check the web site and the Atlas can only be downloaded. Don't want it on the computer rather have it in hand.

 

Agree with wanting the real thing in my hands.

 

Keep checking the Princess web site. Last week it did have the mail option for a day or two and it might return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got off Golden yesterday. Cruise log was in my stateroom mail box. New Destination Collection 2020/2021 was in my mail when I got home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the Log of the Cruise in my cabin in Dec 2018.  

 

I do not recall seeing the latest Destinations Collection in my mailbox.  I had not noticed that it never arrived, but now I will make a point of asking Princess for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...