Cruise Critic Community
cucullus

Walk in showers

My husband and I are sailing on Viking Star on 31st October this year to Cities of Antiquity and the Holy land. It is our first Viking Ocean cruise. We have booked a veranda cabin.  As my husband has several replaced joints we are always concerned in case he slips in the shower. I would be grateful to get feedback about the walk in shower. Is the floor really non slip or do they provide a non slip shower mat.

I have some balance issues and have never felt uncomfortable in the Viking shower.  As I recall, there is also s handrail in the shower. 

I have had two hip replacements and sailed on the Star.  It is a glass walled dedicated shower not an in bathtub shower like some cruise ships.  There is barely a threshold at its entrance.  I did not find the the floor slippery and there was a short handhold inside.  They give you a towel mat to step out onto.  Only problem i found is that the shower door when opened drips onto the mat making it much wetter then it needs to be.  Minor.

Worst case scenario, place a hand towel on the shower floor.

I’m sure your room steward would understand.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
Clarification

Thanks folks, appreciate the rapid replies. I am sure the hand rail will help. As for the hand towel on the shower floor, that is our usual last resort option.

Yes there is most definitely a handrail. And the surface does not feel slippery. 

Having had one or two 'near falls' in walk-in showers, and not wanting to repeat the experience, I've bought an inexpensive pair of 'flip-flops', and I use these both in the shower and when going to a swimming pool.

Two benefits - chance of falling in either location minimised, and also chance of 'catching' a foot infection minimised.

I suppose they could also be used in locations where the footwear might innocently be 'lost' (such as on balconies or out on deck), having seen other folks fall asleep on loungers and the footwear somehow going overboard, using my flip-flops is a no-brainer as they are easy and inexpensive to replace.

We are rocking and rolling this morning, and I made a point of checking the shower floor. Not slippery at all.

Thanks for checking while you are at sea. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The suggestion of flip flops for the shower is also helpful. We had not thought of that. Lateral thinking!