Cruise Critic Community
Ken the cruiser

Positives about a TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam

We’re contemplating a fall 2020 transatlantic cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in an aft-facing cabin when the new itineraries come out and we are interested in hearing from folks that have sailed on a HAL transatlantic cruise in the past year or two. 

We are in our mid 60s and enjoy lectures, playing trivia, walking laps around the promenade and pretty much having organized fun on sea days.

Also, do the cabins sill have DVD players? During slow times and in the evening after the show, as we don’t really like hanging out in the various lounges, we also bring along some dvds to keep us entertained. 

And finally how is the internet service in the cabins, especially in the aft-facing ones, as my DW needs daily access for work purposes. 

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I did a west-bound trans-At on the Nieuw Amsterdam a few years ago, and had a great time. 

There was no DVD player, as the ship had the new, interactive, television, attached to the wall. There were plenty of movies to choose from, as well as old TV shows. 
Loads of lectures during the day, as well as Trivia a couple of times a day. I don't recall any other games during the day, but if there was something I wasn't interested in, I would not remember them. 
Certainly there was (is) a good promenade deck for walking, with lots of loungers if you want a quiet place to sit and watch the sea. 
I can't answer your question about Internet service in the cabins, as I always used the ship's computers. Reception wasn't good most of the time, as I recall, for connecting to my e-mail provider, but other sites connected readily. 

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I did a west-bound trans-At on the Nieuw Amsterdam a few years ago, and had a great time. 

There was no DVD player, as the ship had the new, interactive, television, attached to the wall. There were plenty of movies to choose from, as well as old TV shows. 
Loads of lectures during the day, as well as Trivia a couple of times a day. I don't recall any other games during the day, but if there was something I wasn't interested in, I would not remember them. 
Certainly there was (is) a good promenade deck for walking, with lots of loungers if you want a quiet place to sit and watch the sea. 
I can't answer your question about Internet service in the cabins, as I always used the ship's computers. Reception wasn't good most of the time, as I recall, for connecting to my e-mail provider, but other sites connected readily. 

Thanks Ruth! The DVD player is not such a big deal if there are plenty of movies and old shows to watch on their new interactive TVs. From your experience when do you think HAL might release their fall 2021 itineraries? We'll shortly be on a 40 day cruise on the Maasdam through mid Nov and would like to book it onboard and get those extra perks.

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

From your experience when do you think HAL might release their fall 2021 itineraries?

I wouldn't hazard a guess, since I don't normally follow that.
Sorry. Perhaps someone else will post about that. 

If you look around the board, many of your questions are discussed. The wifi in the cabins is pretty much as strong (but still not the fastest)as anywhere else, as the number of wifi antennas have been increased significantly over the years. 

The Fall 2021 schedules are still a ways off...probably late Spring next year. Usually the repositioning cruises and other unique cruises come out first.

Though our favorite spot is an aft facing verandah, we opted out of the verandah for our April transatlantic, since the weather will preclude sitting out there much.  We kept an aft facing cabin on the Rotterdam, but no verandah.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks Ruth! The DVD player is not such a big deal if there are plenty of movies and old shows to watch on their new interactive TVs. From your experience when do you think HAL might release their fall 2021 itineraries? We'll shortly be on a 40 day cruise on the Maasdam through mid Nov and would like to book it onboard and get those extra perks.

Can't you get most of the onboard benefits by putting in a Future Cruise Deposit and specifying the cruise later?

Roy

Just now, rafinmd said:

Can't you get most of the onboard benefits by putting in a Future Cruise Deposit and specifying the cruise later?

Roy

If my memory serves me well, which sometimes it doesn't, and you book a cruise onboard, you will get double the OBC you would normally get if you use a FCD.

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If my memory serves me well, which sometimes it doesn't, and you book a cruise onboard, you will get double the OBC you would normally get if you use a FCD.

This is true. But you can also get it if you book within 60 days of disembarkation asking your TA/PCC to use the ZPM promo code.

As a point of reference, the seas were smooth as glass when we did our Fall TA.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I booked a 33 night portion of a "Grand Cruise" starting Feb 2021 last week.  Don't know how many other cruises are available.

2 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I booked a 33 night portion of a "Grand Cruise" starting Feb 2021 last week.  Don't know how many other cruises are available.

We're looking for the Oct/Nov 2021 cruises. Princess has some posted through Dec 2021 and Celebrity should be posting theirs through Dec 2021 starting around mid Nov. We were just hoping HAL would be posting theirs sometime soon as we like to book early. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're looking for the Oct/Nov 2021 cruises. Princess has some posted through Dec 2021 and Celebrity should be posting theirs through Dec 2021 starting around mid Nov. We were just hoping HAL would be posting theirs sometime soon as we like to book early. 

I also like to book early - but they are only booking "guarantee" category of cabins - no choice of deck, aft-bow, cabin location.  They might allow choice if you book the whole grand cruise, but I just wanted the Brazil part.  Guess you just have to check frequently.

I sure wish some folks besides Ruth would post that they had a great time on a recent HAL transatlantic cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. There are so many "beat 'em up" threads on the HAL forum right now, I was just hoping to hear some positives to try an get excited about booking a TA when the fall 2021 cruises become available.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

24 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I also like to book early - but they are only booking "guarantee" category of cabins - no choice of deck, aft-bow, cabin location.  They might allow choice if you book the whole grand cruise, but I just wanted the Brazil part.  Guess you just have to check frequently.

I think that's pretty much standard throughout the cruise industry to keep cabins available for people doing the full cruise.

Roy

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think that's pretty much standard throughout the cruise industry to keep cabins available for people doing the full cruise.

Roy

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I was able to book a guarantee Lanai cabin for this portion - not very many of them so I am mid-ship on Lower Prom which is my favorite place on the ships.

1 hour ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

The 2020 European itineraries came out around mid-October last year, including transatlantic, so you may be in luck. 

The OP is talking about the Fall 2021 cruises, not Summer Med cruises. Usually, the repositioning cruises back to the Caribbean come out ahead of the actual Fall/Winter schedule. Yes, the Summer Med, with the reposition TO Europe came out in October, because we booked then.

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I sure wish some folks besides Ruth would post that they had a great time on a recent HAL transatlantic cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. There are so many "beat 'em up" threads on the HAL forum right now, I was just hoping to hear some positives to try an get excited about booking a TA when the fall 2021 cruises become available.

I love the Nieuw Amsterdam but I did my TA on the Koningsdam almost 2 years ago.  The TA was one of my favorite cruises with beautiful weather from start to finish.  Lots of lectures to stimulate the intellect and with all the sea days and relaxed pace and rhythm I was able to decompress and relax my mind, which was really important to me.  I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially on the NA.  She’s a beautiful ship.

Nieuw Amsterdam is scheduled to sail Alaska for summer 2021, replacing Westerdam on the North/South runs between Vancouver and Whitter (HAL and Princess will both use Whittier in 2021 and HAL will no longer sail from Seward). It is assumed Westerdam will go to Europe in place of Nieuw Amsterdam.  However, the current HAL schedule shows Westerdam going to Vancouver after her South America season, but that is most likely being revised as the full summer 2021 Alaska schedule has been published and Westerdam does not appear on it at all.  Either that or Nieuw Amsterdam is incorrectly listed for Alaska and her sailings will actually be operated by Westerdam. Given the recent Zaandam/Rotterdam swap/shuffle snafu I would not be surprised if the HAL deployment team messed this up as well!!!!!!

All of this to say - as of now Nieuw Amsterdam will not be offering a fall 2021 Transatlantic

32 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Nieuw Amsterdam is scheduled to sail Alaska for summer 2021, replacing Westerdam on the North/South runs between Vancouver and Whitter (HAL and Princess will both use Whittier in 2021 and HAL will no longer sail from Seward). It is assumed Westerdam will go to Europe in place of Nieuw Amsterdam.  However, the current HAL schedule shows Westerdam going to Vancouver after her South America season, but that is most likely being revised as the full summer 2021 Alaska schedule has been published and Westerdam does not appear on it at all.  Either that or Nieuw Amsterdam is incorrectly listed for Alaska and her sailings will actually be operated by Westerdam. Given the recent Zaandam/Rotterdam swap/shuffle snafu I would not be surprised if the HAL deployment team messed this up as well!!!!!!

All of this to say - as of now Nieuw Amsterdam will not be offering a fall 2021 Transatlantic

That's cool. The Westerdam will work as they also have aft-facing cabins, but would definitely prefer the NA as we haven't been on that class of HAL ship yet. We're also looking at X and RCCL TAs in the late Oct/early Nov 2021 timeframe. We're booked right now on both of the Princess Northern Lights cruises and would like to take a TA back to the US afterwards if the timing works out; otherwise well just fly back from London.

58 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's cool. The Westerdam will work as they also have aft-facing cabins, but would definitely prefer the NA as we haven't been on that class of HAL ship yet. We're also looking at X and RCCL TAs in the late Oct/early Nov 2021 timeframe. We're booked right now on both of the Princess Northern Lights cruises and would like to take a TA back to the US afterwards if the timing works out; otherwise well just fly back from London.

I'd say the aft balconies on any Vista Class ship are far superior to those to the Signature/Pinnacle class.  Some of the Deck 5 afts on the Vista class have MASSIVE balcony spaces that are mostly sheltered, which can be good for a crossing.  Westerdam is really lovely after her refit a few years ago, and aside from not having Tamarind or the Silk Den Bar has all the other amenities and options of Nieuw Amsterdam, so she would personally be my first choice if she does indeed go to Europe in the stead of Nieuw Amsterdam for 2021.

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'd say the aft balconies on any Vista Class ship are far superior to those to the Signature/Pinnacle class

Completely agree 🙂