Cruise Critic Community
57redbird

Private excursions Loreto/LaPaz/Guaymas/Topolobampo

I have posted this on the Maasdam Roll Call board but am wondering if anybody has any suggestions...not beach people & limited (if any) snorkeling...would prefer scenic, artsy, traditional things.

Since no one's been by, I'll give it a go...

Loreto is extremely walkable. Last time there we ate at a restaurant that was literally a tarp between two walls.  Check out the Mission, it's one of the oldest in all the California's.  The Plaza is very unique.  Across the way from the the Mission is a weaver in a very old adobe.  The front has cheap rugs and other tourist items , the real treasures are in the back.  Beautiful hand loom weavings. 

La Paz has a shuttle to take you into town. The bus station is on the Malecon  We like to get ice cream and agua frescas at the store at the polka-dotted tree.  Check out the Wyland mural.  Two very short blocks behind the bus station is the Church.  Across the Plaza from the church is the former city hall, now a museum. We eat at the Mercado.   

Topolobampo is a small village with little to see. We had a cabdriver who drove us to Los Mochis where we walked around, visited the church and botanical garden, a viewpoint, had lunch and back to the ship.

Topo is mainly used for the extreme long and expensive  daytour to Copper Canyon.

Copper Canyon is awesome, but better do it on a landtour.

Hi - I agree Loreto is very walkable and interesting.  I'm not much of a swimmer but I did go snorkeling with whale sharks in La Paz, it's very easy to do.  I booked it thru La Paz VIP tours, much less crowded than taking a ship's excursion.  They have a great website and  you tube videos. Probably the best excursion I've ever done.