Cruise Critic Community
Ronjoni

San Juan Free Trolley

Not sure where to post... Does anyone know if the San Juan Free Trolley is up & running?   Thanks, Ronjoni

I was there in November and it was running but it didn't seem very often. I only saw the actual trolley once.....as it was pulling away from me.

I was there for 2 days.

It might be better now, but it may be something you don't want to rely on

Someone posted in our roll call that the trolley was out.  Does anyone have any recent information on the trolley?

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Someone posted in our roll call that the trolley was out.  Does anyone have any recent information on the trolley?

The most recent post, made on September 9, is that the trolley is not running:

Update-Sept 2019 : The trolley’s are “out-of – order”. Not running. San Juan has a few small golf carts occasionally going by to take people on route. Really not a practical way to get around OSJ right now. If you can’t walk, consider a Taxi or Uber.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The most recent post, made on September 9, is that the trolley is not running:

Update-Sept 2019 : The trolley’s are “out-of – order”. Not running. San Juan has a few small golf carts occasionally going by to take people on route. Really not a practical way to get around OSJ right now. If you can’t walk, consider a Taxi or Uber.

Thanks !

1 hour ago, richbum said:

This link was posted on San Juan Puerto Rico Travel Guides FB page on 9/23( https://www.facebook.com/SanJuan.PR.Guide/)

https://sanjuan.puerto-rico.ca/transportation/trolley-bus.html?fbclid=IwAR263UaiKh2UxdVy2jYQknROf9w4uk_c8fI-VqSwANWdoFuzGoVPRKT4flU

It says that the free trolleys are running....I don't know how old the article is...

And not knowing how old the article is makes it an unreliable source.

We've been through this a couple of times on this board. People pull things from undated web pages that are unsubstantiated. The actual reports of posters who have been in San Juan are far more likely to be accurate. Since Hurricane Maria hit more than two years ago based on reports posted here the trolleys were running at times, but not in recent times. That's not to say they won't be running at some time in the future, but they were not in the most recent first hand report we have.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

And not knowing how old the article is makes it an unreliable source.

We've been through this a couple of times on this board. People pull things from undated web pages that are unsubstantiated. The actual reports of posters who have been in San Juan are far more likely to be accurate. Since Hurricane Maria hit more than two years ago based on reports posted here the trolleys were running at times, but not in recent times. That's not to say they won't be running at some time in the future, but they were not in the most recent first hand report we have.

But as I also said...it was posted on 9/23/19 on the San Juan travel guide facebook page. If it isn't current...Not sure why the travel guide page would post it on 9/23.

8 hours ago, richbum said:

But as I also said...it was posted on 9/23/19 on the San Juan travel guide facebook page. If it isn't current...Not sure why the travel guide page would post it on 9/23.

That's not an official tourism site. If you trace the links you'll see it's run by a company named Altaviser Communications, Ltd., which is based in Vancouver, Canada. They have travel websites and apps for many places  and there's probably very little of it that's gathered from first-hand knowledge or boots on the ground in the local areas These types of foreign-'based websites are often chock full of misinformation or outdated information. There's one for Bermuda that I'm very familiar with that's run by someone in India and it's just overflowing  with misinformation.

I'll depend on the first hand reports of cruisers who have posted here, not websites run by companies based in foreign countries thousands of miles away. 

That's not to say that the trolley might not be running today or tomorrow, but since Hurricane Maria it's been on again and off again, not something you can rely upon, and the latest first hand report we have is that it isn't running.

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's not an official tourism site. If you trace the links you'll see it's run by a company named Altaviser Communications, Ltd., which is based in Vancouver, Canada. ...

That dude again!!! I gave up reporting his posts on here years ago, as despite the fact that he is posting links to his own sites without indicating that's the case (against CC rules, even if they were actually good-quality sites instead of cookie-cutter, buzzfeed-esque, copied & pasted from other sources with zero verification and few updates ever), using multiple aliases (also against CC rules) none of them have ever been pulled by the mods.

It's great that you're attempting to get folks to wise up a little NJH, but don't waste too much effort on it as there's absolutely zero effort made by CC itself to maintain accuracy, even when you literally hand over everything they need to delete a post/ban a poster that violates their rules on the proverbial silver platter...

On 10/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, njhorseman said:

That's not an official tourism site. If you trace the links you'll see it's run by a company named Altaviser Communications, Ltd., which is based in Vancouver, Canada. They have travel websites and apps for many places  and there's probably very little of it that's gathered from first-hand knowledge or boots on the ground in the local areas These types of foreign-'based websites are often chock full of misinformation or outdated information. There's one for Bermuda that I'm very familiar with that's run by someone in India and it's just overflowing  with misinformation.

I'll depend on the first hand reports of cruisers who have posted here, not websites run by companies based in foreign countries thousands of miles away. 

That's not to say that the trolley might not be running today or tomorrow, but since Hurricane Maria it's been on again and off again, not something you can rely upon, and the latest first hand report we have is that it isn't running.

I appologize for posting something so careless....I did not realize that it was not an honest site. if I could remove the post I would...again...I am sorry

On 10/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, martincath said:

That dude again!!! I gave up reporting his posts on here years ago, as despite the fact that he is posting links to his own sites without indicating that's the case (against CC rules, even if they were actually good-quality sites instead of cookie-cutter, buzzfeed-esque, copied & pasted from other sources with zero verification and few updates ever), using multiple aliases (also against CC rules) none of them have ever been pulled by the mods.

It's great that you're attempting to get folks to wise up a little NJH, but don't waste too much effort on it as there's absolutely zero effort made by CC itself to maintain accuracy, even when you literally hand over everything they need to delete a post/ban a poster that violates their rules on the proverbial silver platter...

It was me who posted the link...and I appologize for being so careless...

5 hours ago, richbum said:

It was me who posted the link...and I appologize for being so careless...

Sorry Rich - I meant that the website linked was one of many that the boards have been spammed with over recent years by a specific poster, using a couple of pseudonyms (but always claiming local Vancouver status). I never had any concern your account was also one of his, he's obviously spamming FB groups these days too and you just innocently reposted it. Yes, the online world would be a better place if everyone always checked the accuracy of everything before passing it along, but it's just not reasonable to expect it given how as a species we had gossip and 'Chinese Whispers' long before 'teh intrawebs' became a thing - but the weasel behind the crappy websites is the real problem, so apology accepted 😉

4 minutes ago, thewynn said:

Back to the question at hand, does anyone know if the trolley's are running?

There have been no first hand reports of the trolleys running in recent months so I have to assume nothing has changed since the last first hand report saying that they are not.

1 hour ago, Stinger-pr said:

As of today, I was told they are still not running.

Thanks Stinger-pr, that was helpful.  I’m just wondering, why aren’t they running?