Just off Eurodam. My Honest Review.

Aquahound

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

We recently moved to Seattle and being from the South, we're having some serious adjustment issues.  This getaway was very badly needed. 

I have a feeling you’re going to be needing many getaways. 😜

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I have a feeling you’re going to be needing many getaways. 😜

A discussion for another day, my friend.  

3 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, I'm aware that you cannot just pay the difference... thx.  You say ONE glass was $11... can I assume there were more choices at a lesser price (like $8-$10 range?)

I'm sorry.  I really don't know.  I thought there was just one that was covered by the SBP, and it was priced at $11.  I could be wrong though.  I'm more of a martini guy. 😉

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I do not regret booking this cruise at all and despite the problems, DW and I were still able to disconnect from the world for a week and get in some serious relax time.  We recently moved to Seattle and being from the South, we're having some serious adjustment issues.  This getaway was very badly needed. 

Welcome to the PNW, 'Hound! My DH and I are SoCal expats, who found ourselves re-located to the Puget Sound, 8 years ago. The first couple of winters were the roughest. It's not JUST the cold, rainy weather -- it's those short winter days that really get to you! But I'm here to tell you that a little well-timed 'cruise therapy' helped us survive that rocky transition period. 😎

• Like 1

Tell me it ain't so . . .

i just read on another thread that they just closed the movie theater? My husband and I are total beach bums but have a Panama Canal cruise coming up that has three + ports we probably won't stay off ship for very long. I was so looking forward to having some options for our at 'sea days'. I have read about the BBC movie with orchestra? What happens with that?

19 minutes ago, w8ing2cruz said:

Tell me it ain't so . . .

i just read on another thread that they just closed the movie theater? My husband and I are total beach bums but have a Panama Canal cruise coming up that has three + ports we probably won't stay off ship for very long. I was so looking forward to having some options for our at 'sea days'. I have read about the BBC movie with orchestra? What happens with that?

Funny thing...one day, DW and I were walking out of the theater on deck 3, and down the hallway of conference rooms when I looked to the left and said "hey, wasn't this a movie theater on the other HAL ships we've sailed?"  I looked inside and found it to be an area for private photo sessions called the Tasman Room. Apparently, all the movie theaters are being taken away and changed to this.  

26 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Welcome to the PNW, 'Hound! My DH and I are SoCal expats, who found ourselves re-located to the Puget Sound, 8 years ago. The first couple of winters were the roughest. It's not JUST the cold, rainy weather -- it's those short winter days that really get to you! But I'm here to tell you that a little well-timed 'cruise therapy' helped us survive that rocky transition period. 😎

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I think cruises and Hawaii are going to be frequents of mine in the near future.  

• Like 1

"They should either go with true "dueling pianos" or go back to the single piano format with an engaging performer.  "

I was on the Oosterdam in August, when there was only one player for a couple of days because the other one was ill.  He was told by the line he could only do a 25-30 minute sets alone (normally the sets are closer to an hour when there are two of them there).  They probably don't pay enough to get an engaging enough performer to pull off playing solo.  The show was lacking by only having one performer.  It was much better when there were two playing, even though they alternated songs.  The Lincoln Center Stage performers during a Q and A said they did not like the design of their venue, I didn't either.  I don't like the design of the blues club either.

I don't think they are allowed to have Lido deck parties at night in Alaska due to environmental and noise regulations like they are allowed to in the Caribbean.  I thought the Steps group was the highlight of the entertainment, but I agree the relationships second show was not as good as their first show.  If entertainment is important to you, HAL is not for you, but every line was their plusses and minuses.  I also lamented the short time in Ketchikan, as I had never been to Alaska before.  I did a Misty Fjords boat ride excursion, and then it was time to leave.

7 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, I'm aware that you cannot just pay the difference... thx.  You say ONE glass was $11... can I assume there were more choices at a lesser price (like $8-$10 range?)

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I'm sorry.  I really don't know.  I thought there was just one that was covered by the SBP, and it was priced at $11.  I could be wrong though.  I'm more of a martini guy. 😉

I took a quick look at Roger Jett's (@Crew News) drink menus (http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/mdr-wine-menu-2) from May, 2019 and saw 1 Prosecco, 2 rosés, 6 whites, and 5 reds that would be covered by the SBP. None of them are great, but most are drinkable. A couple of them were also offered in the Sommelier Suite Cellar 1 package which might give you an idea about their quality.

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I took a quick look at Roger Jett's (@Crew News) drink menus (http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/mdr-wine-menu-2) from May, 2019 and saw 1 Prosecco, 2 rosés, 6 whites, and 5 reds that would be covered by the SBP. None of them are great, but most are drinkable. A couple of them were also offered in the Sommelier Suite Cellar 1 package which might give you an idea about their quality.

Thanks Fred.  That menu doesn't look familiar though.  It's a different format than the ones I saw on board.  It could very well be the same prices though.  

On 9/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, Aquahound said:

Just one gripe.....HAL still uses those darned room service menus that you hang on your door.  C'mon HAL.  Get with the times and include it on the TV.  

But using the hang tags allows us to write in things to be added/modified on the food delivery. Just a couple that we routinely use are: 

• Ham - No Glaze
  • Hot Water - No Cups
  • Passion Fruit Juice

That would be a bit difficult on a TV Screen type interface. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your candid review & wonderful pictures  .Brings back many memories   of our 5 past Alaska cruises .😄

Although we like HAL in general ,we are  inclined to sail Princess   from a close San Pedro port  on a 14 night  R/T Alaska , on one of their newer ships; because of the better entertainment & fixed late (7:15 PM )  seating in the MDR  .

We decided that we would sail on koningsdam  & booked her for our Nov 3 ,2020  18 day Hawaii cruise round trip from San Diego  .We had sailed   on koningsdam  March 17th ,2019  for a 10 day southern Caribbean & loved every thing about our experience 😄

Thank you for this review - I appreciate hearing your experience.

My husband and I board Eurodam in just 13 days for an 11-night trip - it will be our fourth HAL cruise (previously on Veendam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam) and we're looking forward to experiencing another class of HAL's ships.

We usually take everything with a grain of salt on vacation and rarely - if ever - let things bother us as long as we can find a nice place to sit (our aft balcony will always be welcomed!) and a lovely adult beverage to sip.  Pretty sure we'll be OK on that front, so all the rest will just make the trip one to remember.  🙂

35 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We decided that we would sail on koningsdam  & booked her for our Nov 3 ,2020  18 day Hawaii cruise round trip from San Diego  .We had sailed   on koningsdam  March 17th ,2019  for a 10 day southern Caribbean & loved every thing about our experience 😄

I cruised Koningsdam 2 years and while I still had a problem with the entertainment and activity offerings (or lack thereof), I still had a great time on that cruise.  Something just felt different about this cruise and from reading another thread (HAL vs RCI thread) a few minutes ago, I just realized what it was.  It was the Cruise Director.   This new format with the CD being more of a travel lecturer than an entertainer really sucks a lot of the life out of the atmosphere.  I don't like this change at all.  

Edited by Aquahound

21 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We usually take everything with a grain of salt on vacation and rarely - if ever - let things bother us as long as we can find a nice place to sit (our aft balcony will always be welcomed!) and a lovely adult beverage to sip.  Pretty sure we'll be OK on that front, so all the rest will just make the trip one to remember.  🙂

There's something really special about those moments on your own balcony, isn't there? 😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Thanks Fred.  That menu doesn't look familiar though.  It's a different format than the ones I saw on board.  It could very well be the same prices though.  

Roger's menus are the newer ones. It is possible that Eurodam was still using the older format. I am guessing that the prices were the same though. The last time I was on Eurodam was spring 2017. 

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

There's something really special about those moments on your own balcony, isn't there? 😊

We'd always booked inside staterooms for the cost...and then a smokin' hot deal on a balcony guarantee dropped in our laps for Westerdam.  We were assigned a deep aft on deck 5 and haven't looked back since.  This will be our third aft stateroom...love the wake!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Something just felt different about this cruise and from reading another thread (HAL vs RCI thread) a few minutes ago, I just realized what it was.  It was the Cruise Director.   This new format with the CD being more of a travel lecturer than an entertainer really sucks a lot of the life out of the atmosphere.  I don't like this change at all.  

I totally agree. I said the same thing on my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your review of the Eurodam. We're doing the same itinerary this summer. We're trying to figure out the fixed dining times for dinner and the evening show times, to help us decide if we should do early or late dining seatings. Do you have any info on the times of dining and the evening shows?

Thanks so much!

On 9/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, canadianbear said:

I definitely miss the live music in the Ocean bar. We loved having cocktails there and listening to the music while people danced.  

Count us in with canadianbear. We really miss an Ocean Bar pre-dinner cocktail while enjoying the music with, perhaps, a turn around the dance floor.  Now, the Ocean Bar pre-dinner is like a ghost town...

12 hours ago, sailsalot said:

Thanks for your review of the Eurodam. We're doing the same itinerary this summer. We're trying to figure out the fixed dining times for dinner and the evening show times, to help us decide if we should do early or late dining seatings. Do you have any info on the times of dining and the evening shows?

Thanks so much!

I'm very sorry, but I did not save any of the dailies, and I do not remember the times.  That sort of thing tends to slip from my memory after a few weeks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 6:08 AM, ski ww said:

It's in the aft stair well on Panorama Deck, I also took a picture. I agree it is out of the way & not a very well used stair. 

We will be on the Eurodam on Sunday and I want to look this up.  The deck plans show the Panorama Deck is deck 10.  Is that where I want to go.  I don't see any stairwells on the deck plan.