Greasy Bacon 🥓 🥓 🥓❓

17 hours ago, Artemus said:

Aha, that makes even more sense why it’s so greasy‼️

18 hours ago, cb at sea said:

They put vast amounts on a huge tray and put it in an oven......that's how it's cooked...it is NOT 'deep fried'.

That may be one way they cook the bacon. I have however seen it come out of a fryer.

I consider BACON one of the basic food groups and have seen it put out in all ways imaginable, I just try to pick out the best I see on the tray. Never eat it at home but consume enough onboard to clog the arteries of a horse.

12 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I can only relay my one experience. In the pan (on the buffet) was everything from overly crispy (bordering on burnt/dry) to barely cooked ("limp") pieces and everything in between.

Good to have choices

On 9/30/2019 at 6:47 AM, suesnake2002 said:

I like to make BLT's in the wind jammer. All the fixings are there. I usually make them on the english muffins. Yummy

Finally a reason to join my DH in Windjammer!

On 9/30/2019 at 8:39 AM, spookwife said:

exact opposite.. its  so crisp  it's inedible.  and too damn salty.  

I love bacon but not when it’s bitter, salty and explodes into crumbs when you bite it. 

On 9/30/2019 at 5:47 AM, suesnake2002 said:

I like to make BLT's in the wind jammer. All the fixings are there. I usually make them on the english muffins. Yummy

I do this too, except for lunch. I bring baggies from home, grab bacon and put it on ice in the ice bucket. Ready for a BLT at lunch with soup. Perfect!

4 hours ago, rncruiser said:

I never have a problem getting extra crispy bacon in the MDR. One of many reasons I try to avoid buffets is that if the food sits around it will get soggy. 

We ate breakfast in WJ only one day. Eggs were cold, bacon was fatty and chewy. We ate in the MDR everyday after that where we ordered bacon crispy, the eggs were hot and over all was a much better experience than walking around looking for a table in WJ. I will mention that are up everyday at 5:00am and our body clocks don't seem to adjust to vacation mode so we were one of the first few in the MDR every morning. We were on Anthem and they even had a nice buffet in the MDR. Breakfast was a pleasure. The service was much better  compared to dinner in the evening. We even ate in the MDR on the last morning. 

On 9/30/2019 at 5:32 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

Having lived the last three years in the middle east, I'm just thrilled that there even IS bacon. As long as it's made of pork and unlikely to give me food poisoning, load me up! 🙂

I did 3 weeks in Tunis and Algeria.  Flew out to Paris for an overnight, arrived early in the morning.  My boss, who was traveling with me tells the story of breakfast as soon as we checked in.  I had a plate of bacon and sausage.  No eggs, no potatoes, no etc. 😄

16 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I love bacon but not when it’s bitter, salty and explodes into crumbs when you bite it. 

But that makes it easier to crumble up into my grits. 😄

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We ate breakfast in WJ only one day. Eggs were cold, bacon was fatty and chewy. We ate in the MDR everyday after that where we ordered bacon crispy, the eggs were hot and over all was a much better experience than walking around looking for a table in WJ. I will mention that are up everyday at 5:00am and our body clocks don't seem to adjust to vacation mode so we were one of the first few in the MDR every morning. We were on Anthem and they even had a nice buffet in the MDR. Breakfast was a pleasure. The service was much better  compared to dinner in the evening. We even ate in the MDR on the last morning. 

Hmm, WJ has an egg station, with cooked to order eggs.  Nice and hot.

And at 5AM no line.  And fresh hot food.  And no trouble finding a table.

We also get up early.

You don't need a paper towel or napkin.  Grab a second set of silver ware and use the cloth napkin.  It works quite well.

The only oily, greasy bacon I have seen, is at the bottom of the pan, where the grease from the top layers drained down.  Put it on a plate by itself, and most of that drains off.   Napkin or paper towel just makes it go away faster.

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

I did 3 weeks in Tunis and Algeria.  Flew out to Paris for an overnight, arrived early in the morning.  My boss, who was traveling with me tells the story of breakfast as soon as we checked in.  I had a plate of bacon and sausage.  No eggs, no potatoes, no etc. 😄

I feel ya. My best friend's wedding was in the UK, and being an international school alum, she had people flying in from all over the world. She made a separate WhatsApp group for those of us who were from the UK or the US but lived in the middle east to make sure we could coordinate our need for bacon, alcoholic beverages and cheese around the wedding events. It was MUCH appreciated. 

1 minute ago, SRF said:

Hmm, WJ has an egg station, with cooked to order eggs.  Nice and hot.

And at 5AM no line.  And fresh hot food.  And no trouble finding a table.

We also get up early.

We didn't eat at 5am. We went down to the MDR at 7:00am. Why should I walk around looking for an egg station and anything else for that matter when I can be served? Overall I wasn't impressed with the WJ on Anthem. We just ate the fruit and cheese on our balcony as a snack late afternoon.  We ate lunch in Cafe 270 which was closer to our room or in the Solarium if we were there at the time.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

You don't need a paper towel or napkin.  Grab a second set of silver ware and use the cloth napkin.  It works quite well.

I will not be using a cloth napkin (I’ve already considered that) because it just doesn’t feel right using one and I don’t believe they’re very absorbent. What I have started doing is my wife allows me to look through her bacon to try to find some less greasy. Sometimes I find a little that is not really greasy and sometimes I don’t.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, cb at sea said:

They put vast amounts on a huge tray and put it in an oven......that's how it's cooked...it is NOT 'deep fried'.

Good to know...and it underscores where the "heart attack in a pan" nickname for bacon came from...

On 9/30/2019 at 6:50 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We have yet to ever witness ungreasy bacon - anywhere on the planet.

It simply doesn't exist based on the composition of bacon itself.

HAHA, I was thinking the same...isnt that what bacon is...its just a strip of fat really....I mean I love it, but there isnt avoiding grease. If its too greasy then just pat down with a napkin?

1 minute ago, bubba83 said:

HAHA, I was thinking the same...isnt that what bacon is...its just a strip of fat really....I mean I love it, but there isnt avoiding grease. If its too greasy then just pat down with a napkin?

...or a strong vacuum cleaner... 😁

2 hours ago, bubba83 said:

Where would one get a napkin