Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

How is the WiFi on the Magic? I haven't purchased an internet pkg in yrs and it sucked back then. Some pax in our group want to keep in touch with family at home. I remember reading one time about keeping our phones on airplane mode so we are not charged $$$$$. Is is worth it to try and text home (US)? TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wifi on the Magic was fine last year.  But, I only always get the Social Media package, and keep up with friends and family that way.  And yes, airplane mode!  Once you get onboard open your Hub app and follow the directions from there.  Enjoy your cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with everything else in the technology world, wifi has improved.

I can now use wifi calling and sometimes even facetime.

Is it "worth it"? I have no idea what that means to you. Your "worth it" and my "worth it" could be on extreme different levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of wifi on the ships, I have never purchased any of the packages, but will be traveling with a large group in November and one couple asked if they could live stream a football game using the ship's wifi.  I hear people complaining about the reception, so I can't imagine being able to live stream.  I suggested they call CCL for answer and they were told that it shouldn't be a problem.  This is a new cruiser, and I don't want them to be disappointed (actually, I don't want to listen to them complain for days). 

 

Has anyone live streamed anything onboard?

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sc4125 said:

Speaking of wifi on the ships, I have never purchased any of the packages, but will be traveling with a large group in November and one couple asked if they could live stream a football game using the ship's wifi.  I hear people complaining about the reception, so I can't imagine being able to live stream.  I suggested they call CCL for answer and they were told that it shouldn't be a problem.  This is a new cruiser, and I don't want them to be disappointed (actually, I don't want to listen to them complain for days). 

 

Has anyone live streamed anything onboard?

 


 

The ability to stream is entirely dependent on which ship.  Some ships have enhanced wifi, some do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Schoifmom said:

The ability to stream is entirely dependent on which ship.  Some ships have enhanced wifi, some do not.

Thanks for the info.  We will be on the Paradise, so I'm thinking it won't be enhanced.  I'll just try to make sure I'm nowhere near them at game time.  

 

I will suggest that they try a call to CCL again and see if they get the same answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a sports bar on this ship? They have access to many games & would probably put it on one TV if they can get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not really a specific sports bar, it's a stinky Casino bar that shows all the sporting events

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If calling home is a concern, I read in Carnival's FAQ's that you can phone home from your stateroom phone for $1.99/min. I didn't try it, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got off of the phone with Carnival. I am sailing Nov2 on the Breeze. I asked the question; If I purchase the premium internet package and cannot get emails, can I get a refund for that package. The answer was NO. I made sure the rep understood the email was not behind some firewall or government. The Answer was NO. Where I come from that is a breech of contract. Anyway I made sure she understood my question and that her response would be made public.  So keep this in mind when considering an internet package. As a result, my cruise will be less fun. Carnival does not get the revenue.

IF YOU DON'T GET EMAILS, TOUGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, beachgal58 said:

How is the WiFi on the Magic? I haven't purchased an internet pkg in yrs and it sucked back then. Some pax in our group want to keep in touch with family at home. I remember reading one time about keeping our phones on airplane mode so we are not charged $$$$$. Is is worth it to try and text home (US)? TIA

 

It depends on what they mean by, "keep in touch." They can't call unless they choose to pay for a call using their cabin phone, like Joe817 mentioned. Or some cellular providers offer temporary cruise packages that allow you to connect to the ship's Cellular at Sea network and make calls (for a fee).

 

The Social internet plan (cheapest plan) lets you use some of the more popular social media sites/apps and messaging apps, like facebook messenger, whatsapp, & snapchat. If they use any of those, the Social plan would suffice. Apple iMessages aren't technically supported on the Social plan, but there are plenty of reports of it working just fine. Your mileage may vary. Just keep in mind that you need a texting/messaging service that works over wifi. If they wanted to email, they'd at least need the Value plan.

 

7 hours ago, sc4125 said:

Thanks for the info.  We will be on the Paradise, so I'm thinking it won't be enhanced.  I'll just try to make sure I'm nowhere near them at game time.  

 

I will suggest that they try a call to CCL again and see if they get the same answer.

 

It's not much of a surprise that they were told streaming football shouldn't be a problem because Carnival reps. are notorious for giving out inaccurate info., but they shouldn't have said it. Technically, video streaming isn't officially supported on almost all the ships. The only official exception is Netflix on the Vista, Horizon, & Sunrise. That's their official policy, but on the Vista, Horizon, & Sunrise (and maybe others) people report that they've streamed video just fine through apps like HBO Go, ESPN, YouTube, etc.

 

3 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Is there a sports bar on this ship? They have access to many games & would probably put it on one TV if they can get it.

 

Yeah, some of the ships have sports bars, but experiences vary. If there is more than one game on, you may not get the one you want to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fxstsb said:

I just got off of the phone with Carnival. I am sailing Nov2 on the Breeze. I asked the question; If I purchase the premium internet package and cannot get emails, can I get a refund for that package. The answer was NO. I made sure the rep understood the email was not behind some firewall or government. The Answer was NO. Where I come from that is a breech of contract. Anyway I made sure she understood my question and that her response would be made public.  So keep this in mind when considering an internet package. As a result, my cruise will be less fun. Carnival does not get the revenue.

IF YOU DON'T GET EMAILS, TOUGH

 

Emails are technically available through the Value and Premium plans, but if the ship's wifi service is bad, sending/receiving may not work. We were on the Glory last year and the internet service was atrocious. We bought Value plans and couldn't load any website...not my email, not even Carnival's site. I was going to email someone back home, but it could barely open my inbox, so I didn't even try to send one.

 

People have gone to Guest Services and complained about the wifi service and have gotten refunds. Maybe we should have on that cruise, but didn't. I thought that if we did, they'd stop our plans altogether and we were using them to communicate via iMessage, which worked pretty good.

 

So don't worry about what they said on your phone call. If you experience very bad wifi service when you're on your cruise and can't use it how it's intended, let Guest Services know. There's a chance they'll issue a refund. Be sure to give it a chance, though, because time of day (the amount of wifi traffic) can impact how well it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

Emails are technically available through the Value and Premium plans, but if the ship's wifi service is bad, sending/receiving may not work. We were on the Glory last year and the internet service was atrocious. We bought Value plans and couldn't load any website...not my email, not even Carnival's site. I was going to email someone back home, but it could barely open my inbox, so I didn't even try to send one.

 

People have gone to Guest Services and complained about the wifi service and have gotten refunds. Maybe we should have on that cruise, but didn't. I thought that if we did, they'd stop our plans altogether and we were using them to communicate via iMessage, which worked pretty good.

 

So don't worry about what they said on your phone call. If you experience very bad wifi service when you're on your cruise and can't use it how it's intended, let Guest Services know. There's a chance they'll issue a refund. Be sure to give it a chance, though, because time of day (the amount of wifi traffic) can impact how well it works.

Thanks for your response.

Carnival has taken their position. Hopefully a few more will post with their experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can always get your wifi money returned, did on the Conquest, no questions asked. It was Awful and unuseable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I asked "is it worth it" I meant does the wifi work? I have not bought a wifi pkg in yrs bc it was so spotty, I mean little circle going round and round and round, used to buy minute pkgs. Finally I would just walk away. No, it was not worth it. 

I could care less, but someone would like to keep in touch with her husband at home, she is wanting to text, looks like she should get the value pack and get him on IM b4 we leave. 

Thanks for info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fxstsb said:

I just got off of the phone with Carnival. I am sailing Nov2 on the Breeze. I asked the question; If I purchase the premium internet package and cannot get emails, can I get a refund for that package. The answer was NO. I made sure the rep understood the email was not behind some firewall or government. The Answer was NO. Where I come from that is a breech of contract. Anyway I made sure she understood my question and that her response would be made public.  So keep this in mind when considering an internet package. As a result, my cruise will be less fun. Carnival does not get the revenue.

IF YOU DON'T GET EMAILS, TOUGH

I had the value plan on the Breeze and had no problem with getting and sending emails. I was able to text, WiFi call and access any websites I wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beachgal58 said:

I could care less, but someone would like to keep in touch with her husband at home, she is wanting to text, looks like she should get the value pack and get him on IM b4 we leave. 

Thanks for info.

 

If they both happen to have facebook accounts already, they could install and use facebook messenger. Then all she would need to purchase is the Social plan (cheapest). If they both have iPhones, iMessages should work on the Social plan, even though Carnival says it's not supported, but would definitely work on the Value plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I told her to get the value plan thinking at least she could email. She has IM, she could set up fb for hubby and cancel when she got home, he is not into social media. She called Verizon, was told they have international plan, she is going in to speak with them on price. 

Jerseygirl, that cool u were able to do all that on the value lan. I have never sailed Breeze, will remember this info! Thnx.

I would just maybe give him a call a few times with ship 2 shore, read it is about $2 a minute. I use wifi at the ports. This is her first cruise, anxiety bc he has recent health issues. 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always buy one wifi package. The middle one. There are 2 games to play with the wifi package. 1: cut off the other person. this is a very fun game. 2: find the dead spots and avoid them when online. 

Cove balconies and regular balconies are a dead spot. (IMHO)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...