Back from Golden Princess: Got 2nd indoor chair (not barrel) for regular balc cabin.

RSS from SF

*NOTE*:

• This intended audience for this post is the Princess cruiser who is interested in getting a second indoor chair for the cabin.
  • If you don't want a second chair for your cabin but have helpful suggestions, please feel free to contribute.
  • Please ignore this thread If you don't want a second chair for your cabin and don't have helpful information for cruisers wanting a second indoor chair for their cabin.

Thanks!
-----

I just got back from a B2B aboard Golden Princess a couple of days ago.  (Yes I did have a great cruise!)

There were two of us in our cabin -- a regular BE balcony (A630). The cabin had only one chair in the room: the desk chair.  On the balcony were the two outdoor chairs.

I did not expect to see the barrel chair in the room, given the helpful reports here on CC. 
(On my prior cruise ending the first week of January -- on Ruby, my unobstructed "obstructed" oceanview cabin still had a barrel chair in addition to the desk chair.)

On this trip aboard Golden, before my steward was available to meet on the first day, I stopped at Guest Services and requested a second indoor chair for the cabin. The rep said that this request would be forwarded to my steward. 

I later met my steward before dinnertime.  The steward had not received the chair request, but confirmed that barrel chairs (which he refers to as tub chairs) are gone from Golden.*
*At least from regular balcony cabins and lower categories, was my guess.

-----

-- Later on Day 1, after late dinner --

I returned back to the cabin to find that our awesome steward was able to secure a second chair for us:

• 48820006333_38494d88fe.jpg

---

We used both chairs every day, to actually sit in.

This was our setup for early morning coffee (and sometimes IC's almond croissant) before heading out later for breakfast or elsewhere:

• 48820356586_1cf8d779e4.jpg

-----

So, even if there are no barrel chairs to be found, if you want a second indoor chair there may be other chairs available aboard that might work for you. 

Cheers,
-RSS-

• Like 10

3 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

*NOTE*:

• This intended audience for this post is the Princess cruiser who is interested in getting a second indoor chair for the cabin.
  • If you don't want a second chair for your cabin but have helpful suggestions, please feel free to contribute.
  • Please ignore this thread If you don't want a second chair for your cabin and don't have helpful information for cruisers wanting a second indoor chair for their cabin.

Thanks!
-----

I just got back from a B2B aboard Golden Princess a couple of days ago.  (Yes I did have a great cruise!)

There were two of us in our cabin -- a regular BE balcony (A630). The cabin had only one chair in the room: the desk chair.  On the balcony were the two outdoor chairs.

I did not expect to see the barrel chair in the room, given the helpful reports here on CC. 
(On my prior cruise ending the first week of January -- on Ruby, my unobstructed "obstructed" oceanview cabin still had a barrel chair in addition to the desk chair.)

On this trip aboard Golden, before my steward was available to meet on the first day, I stopped at Guest Services and requested a second indoor chair for the cabin. The rep said that this request would be forwarded to my steward. 

I later met my steward before dinnertime.  The steward had not received the chair request, but confirmed that barrel chairs (which he refers to as tub chairs) are gone from Golden.*
*At least from regular balcony cabins and lower categories, was my guess.

-----

-- Later on Day 1, after late dinner --

I returned back to the cabin to find that our awesome steward was able to secure a second chair for us:

• 48820006333_38494d88fe.jpg

---

We used both chairs every day, to actually sit in.

This was our setup for early morning coffee (and sometimes IC's almond croissant) before heading out later for breakfast or elsewhere:

• 48820356586_1cf8d779e4.jpg

-----

So, even if there are no barrel chairs to be found, if you want a second indoor chair there may be other chairs available aboard that might work for you. 

Cheers,
-RSS-

RSS:  Thank you for that information.  This was SO much more helpful than all the zillion rants currently on the board re the Barrel Chair.  You were Proactive!

All the best, Ellen

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 5:11 AM, Wishing on a star said:

That is great!  Just curious...   The chair is different than the one already in the cabin. I wonder where it came from?   

I will assume that any available extra chairs are limited.  I would hate to see Princess try to put a stop to any extra chairs if they get a lot of requests. 

The second chair appears to be a dining room style chair.

On my Spring 2019 cruise on the Ruby (Interior Cabin), I had requested the small round coffee table AND an additional chair.  I had planned on entertaining another couple in our room on several days/evenings.  My steward was very helpful in securing both requests.  The "extra" desk type chair was stored in the closet when not in use.  

This was better than 3 on a bed and 1 sitting on the only chair.  Not ideal, but we were able to make it work out.  It was also better than lugging a chair from our friends' adjacent room each time we met.  

Something can be worked out.  Please be polite and considerate to your steward.  This is really out of his control.  

Thanks for the information. We just booked on the Golden and I wasn't aware that the barrel chairs have been removed from the balcony cabins. Any explanation from Princess why? We will be on the Golden for 29 days trans-Pacific and my husband will be quite unhappy if there is nowhere to sit in the cabin. I will be sure to ask the steward right away if it is possible to get a 2nd chair, although they don't look very comfortable. 

29 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Thanks for the information. We just booked on the Golden and I wasn't aware that the barrel chairs have been removed from the balcony cabins. Any explanation from Princess why? We will be on the Golden for 29 days trans-Pacific and my husband will be quite unhappy if there is nowhere to sit in the cabin. I will be sure to ask the steward right away if it is possible to get a 2nd chair, although they don't look very comfortable. 

-- I didn't ask for Princess' explanation.

-- FYI the 2nd chair was very comfortable for both of us.

-- Also FYI we were just on Star Princess on October 6 (Seattle-Vancouver 1 night) and our regular balcony cabin (Category "BE") had a 2nd chair inside: a barrel chair.

10 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We just booked on the Golden and I wasn't aware that the barrel chairs have been removed from the balcony cabins. Any explanation from Princess why?

The official reason is to provide more usable room in the cabin.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:18 AM, dreaminofcruisin said:

Excellent.

Glad to hear a 2nd (requested) chair of some sort 'may' be an option.

Thanks for reporting your experience!

3 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Just off the Sapphire and we requested a barrel chair from our steward as soon as we met him. He said he would check, but did indicate that there were a limited number of them. We came back from dinner the first night of the cruise and a barrel chair had shown up! 😊

@dreaminofcruisin:  

I'm happy to hear this worked well for you too. ☺👍

Edited by RSS from SF

On 10/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, RSS from SF said:

-- I didn't ask for Princess' explanation.

-- FYI the 2nd chair was very comfortable for both of us.

-- Also FYI we were just on Star Princess on October 6 (Seattle-Vancouver 1 night) and our regular balcony cabin (Category "BE") had a 2nd chair inside: a barrel chair.

We are on the Star next week and hopefully the second chair is still in the balcony cabin.  If not we will be making a request to the steward to try and get us one.  It is ridiculous to remove it. 

We were on the Sapphire in June on a b2b.  The chair had been removed from the balcony cabin as others have indicated.  So I moved one of the balcony chairs into our cabin for the duration of the cruise.  The cruise was to northern Europe so the balcony was seldom used due to the cold air.  The room steward did not mention that I had moved the chair and left it alone. 

What was Princess thinking when they removed the chairs?

Edited by satxdiver

On 10/25/2019 at 4:25 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

We got snookered too. We booked in good faith assuming the photo of the standard balcony included two chairs and a bed.  We can't cancel since we are cruising with a group of friends and family. We have made arrangements to purchase some folding camping chairs before we board.

It looks like you will be on a similar itinerary, so if you are indeed embarking in Sydney, you could try Mitchells Adventure in Sydney.  They are located at 81 York Street.  They offer a folding camp chair that will be way more comfortable than a straight back chair from the dining room - or boarding and then finding there are no chairs available.

https://www.mitchellsadventure.com/product/classic-arm-chair/fcc-pac.aspx

Good luck!

I really hope that people are able to get a second chair for their cabin.  We need to each have a chair to sit on.  I can not move a chair in from the balcony, nor wash it to get the dirt off.  I take a cruise to relax, not to wash down chairs.  

Really Princess, is a chair to sit on too much to ask?  

• Like 1

0829191456_HDR.thumb.jpg.f06a9e2c2906ecbdc15662b7ca7ac5e9.jpg

20 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I really hope that people are able to get a second chair for their cabin.  We need to each have a chair to sit on.  I can not move a chair in from the balcony, nor wash it to get the dirt off.  I take a cruise to relax, not to wash down chairs.  

Really Princess, is a chair to sit on too much to ask?  

we got this on our September Crown cruise0829191456_HDR.thumb.jpg.f06a9e2c2906ecbdc15662b7ca7ac5e9.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We got snookered too. We booked in good faith assuming the photo of the standard balcony included two chairs and a bed.  We can't cancel since we are cruising with a group of friends and family. We have made arrangements to purchase some folding camping chairs before we board.

It looks like you will be on a similar itinerary, so if you are indeed embarking in Sydney, you could try Mitchells Adventure in Sydney.  They are located at 81 York Street.  They offer a folding camp chair that will be way more comfortable than a straight back chair from the dining room - or boarding and then finding there are no chairs available.

https://www.mitchellsadventure.com/product/classic-arm-chair/fcc-pac.aspx

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. We will be on the Ruby Princess out of Sydney to Fiji on March 21 but will be in a mini-suite so the chair is not an issue on that cruise. We will be back in Sydney for 4 days between the Fiji cruise and boarding the Golden for 29 days in a standard balcony cabin where it is an issue. However, I don't see us trying to get to the ship with our luggage and a camp chair. If we are unable to get a chair onboard, we may look for one when we port in New Zealand.

Do you find it interesting that the other thread on this topic was suddenly closed today despite having a very active discussion? Suppose Princess wasn't happy with the criticism?