Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The stewards are not supposed to wear the gloves when "touching everything".  They are trained differently.  They may wear the same gloves between cabins, but only when doing the same job in those cabins, like cleaning the toilets or emptying the trash.  USPH runs exercises in training on how to organize cabin cleaning so that there is no cross-contamination, yet a minimum amount of glove exchange is needed.  

Once when we disembarked our cabin steward saw us in the corridor and came to us and while wearing his gloves shook our hands as he was obviously pleased with his tip we had given him the previous night.

We went to the nearest restroom to wash our hands but unfortunately several hours later Pauline was struck down with the Noro Virus which lasted a few days.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Once when we disembarked our cabin steward saw us in the corridor and came to us and while wearing his gloves shook our hands as he was obviously pleased with his tip we had given him the previous night.

We went to the nearest restroom to wash our hands but unfortunately several hours later Pauline was struck down with the Noro Virus which lasted a few days.

Graham.

While the gloved to ungloved hand contact was a shocking breach of protocol, if your wife washed her hands immediately afterwards, I don't see how there could be a linkage unless she touched her face/mouth before hand washing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While the gloved to ungloved hand contact was a shocking breach of protocol, if your wife washed her hands immediately afterwards, I don't see how there could be a linkage unless she touched her face/mouth before hand washing.

Great advice as always.

In hindsight we should have walked back to the cabin but didn't want to embarrass our great cabin steward plus we were carrying our cases off the ship ourselves.

We used a hand wipe when we were waiting for the lifts then washed our hands in the restroom before getting off the ship.

On another occasion we asked our cabin steward to just leave us towels as our room was tidy and he carried towels in and hung them up while wearing his latex gloves after first taking the dirty towels away.

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd like to know the reasons that the chance of contracting noro on a ship are bigger than on land.  And, how is the chance that someone else will contract noro on a ship greater than in a land restaurant?  What is different between a cruise ship and a restaurant in a mall, where you walk around in public areas outside the restaurant just like you do on a ship?

 

Confined spaces? People acting different while on vacation? A different demographic? But most certainly, the predominant risk to get Noro, is that other people are infected. Like this not very precise number of 1% CDC reports. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html 

The average US population is certainly not spending 1% of their time on a ship, (that would be 1300 large ships if only Americans would sail), so there are more people infected on ships, so the chance of being infected on a ship is much higher than in a mall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ptod said:

 

What if one is allergic to something in the hand sanitizer?  That doesn't make the person arrogant, just allergic.

 

 

Exactly right.  Also as our family doctor said sanitizer lulls people into a false sense of security as it doesn't protect you like actually washing your hands 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

 

Confined spaces? People acting different while on vacation? A different demographic? But most certainly, the predominant risk to get Noro, is that other people are infected. Like this not very precise number of 1% CDC reports. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html 

The average US population is certainly not spending 1% of their time on a ship, (that would be 1300 large ships if only Americans would sail), so there are more people infected on ships, so the chance of being infected on a ship is much higher than in a mall.

So, these are your suppositions as to why the chances are greater, not any established data.  And that is 1% of reported and confirmed cases of noro in the US.  How many people do you think never mention that they spent a couple of days feeling sick to their doctors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The purell type gels are alcohol. It not only does not kill the gem that causes the stomach bug it also irritates my skin. I can't use any of those type hand disinfectants with out my skin drying and cracking. But mostly after I had a family friend who is a doctor show me a paper from the CDC that stated it doesn't kill the stomach bug ( or a surprisingly lot of other germs) I stopped even trying to use it. I wash my hands before leaving the cabin and again at the closest ladies room by the dinningroom enterance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Once when we disembarked our cabin steward saw us in the corridor and came to us and while wearing his gloves shook our hands as he was obviously pleased with his tip we had given him the previous night.

We went to the nearest restroom to wash our hands but unfortunately several hours later Pauline was struck down with the Noro Virus which lasted a few days.

Graham.

 

Oh dear.  I had Noro once (not on a cruise) and it was horrid. At least it didn't ruin your cruise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Even though you did the right thing and washed your hands in the restroom many people touch the door handles when they haven't washed their hands and when you touch the door handle their germs etc are transferred to your hands.

Like you and others have mentioned I also use a paper towel to open a manual restroom door or use my elbow to hit the door opener button if there is one so that doesn't come into play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Great advice as always.

In hindsight we should have walked back to the cabin but didn't want to embarrass our great cabin steward plus we were carrying our cases off the ship ourselves.

We used a hand wipe when we were waiting for the lifts then washed our hands in the restroom before getting off the ship.

 

Did you clean or sanitize the handles of the luggage you were carrying off after shaking the steward's hand ?

Same situation as directly handling restroom door handles applies if you didn't. 

Edited by robtulipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in a land of lousy hygiene, and since most food related illness is from contaminates we have contacted with our own hands, my wife and I wash our hands whenever possible and always carry our own sanitizer. My question is, beyond the food servers and kitchen staff, why be concerned with others' hand washing. I don't plan to have other guests handle my food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So,,, if you are asked to wash your hands or use a sanitizer at the entrance to a restaurant, then why not comply?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frankmac said:

Every gents toilet on Oasis had a sign suggesting you use a tissue to open the door on the way out.

 

7 hours ago, voyager70 said:

 

I see this on pretty much every ship I've been on.  I always use a tissue to open the door in any public toilet.

 

 

I really appreciate the ships that have a button to push that opens the door.  I use my elbow, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robtulipe said:

Did you clean or sanitize the handles of the luggage you were carrying off after shaking the steward's hand ?

Same situation as directly handling restroom door handles applies if you didn't. 

Yes we did thanks.

I think Pauline must have touched her face because I didn't get the Noro Virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, if you are asked to wash your hands or use a sanitizer at the entrance to a restaurant, then why not comply?  


Assuming this is in response to my post, what would make you think that I wouldn't take advantage of free sanitizer? No one will need ask; I usually look for it! 

My point is that I am not too concerned with someone else's dirty little fingers, unless they work in the kitchen or serve the food. 

Do you ever eat from the buffets? Do you sanitize when you return to the table to eat?

Odds are that you are going to run a bigger risk from handling common serving utensils than from the food itself.

Pass the salt, please ...

Bacteria and viruses are spread all over everything, handrails, door knobs, pens, ..., fomites are endless - they're everywhere. Personally, our hand washing isn't confined to dining. 

 

Edited by Curt1591

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frankmac said:

Should it be a condition of entry to dining areas that you disinfect your hands? I believe it should be. On oasis last week I lost count of the number of arrogant passengers who ignored, not only the dispensers, but also the offer from a bottle by a member of staff.

What about the passengers who physically cannot disinfect their own hands (stroke sufferers). Do they get a free pass or do you expect a member of staff to disinfect their hands for them,  possibly embarrassing the passenger?     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

What about the passengers who physically cannot disinfect their own hands (stroke sufferers). Do they get a free pass or do you expect a member of staff to disinfect their hands for them,  possibly embarrassing the passenger?     

 

Yeah there will always be exceptions. Doesn't mean the others shouldn't do it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Living in a land of lousy hygiene, and since most food related illness is from contaminates we have contacted with our own hands, my wife and I wash our hands whenever possible and always carry our own sanitizer. My question is, beyond the food servers and kitchen staff, why be concerned with others' hand washing. I don't plan to have other guests handle my food?

 

if you're in a buffet, they will be handling the tongs you need to transfer food to your plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many people rely on products like hand sanitizer to protect them from illness. There is no such thing as a sterile public environment.  If you’re that paranoid don’t eat in the buffet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, Frankmac said:

Should it be a condition of entry to dining areas that you disinfect your hands? I believe it should be. On oasis last week I lost count of the number of arrogant passengers who ignored, not only the dispensers, but also the offer from a bottle by a member of staff.

No.. the sanitizer is garbage. Hand washing station should be at the entrance to all eating venues where people help themselves, and that should be enforced, or the crew should serve.

 

Now if I could get the idiot guests to stop putting the serving utensil in the food when they are done with it... that would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:
15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd like to know the reasons that the chance of contracting noro on a ship are bigger than on land.  And, how is the chance that someone else will contract noro on a ship greater than in a land restaurant?  What is different between a cruise ship and a restaurant in a mall, where you walk around in public areas outside the restaurant just like you do on a ship?

 

Confined spaces? People acting different while on vacation? A different demographic? But most certainly, the predominant risk to get Noro, is that other people are infected. Like this not very precise number of 1% CDC reports. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html 

The average US population is certainly not spending 1% of their time on a ship, (that would be 1300 large ships if only Americans would sail), so there are more people infected on ships, so the chance of being infected on a ship is much higher than in a mall.

 

 

Not only all of this, but you are more likely to get the Noro at Disney (i Believe 8x more likely.) The difference? Cruises are required to report any noro illnesses, whereas Disney World does not. In fact there is no way for them to even notice if someone has it or got it post trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Too many people rely on products like hand sanitizer to protect them from illness. There is no such thing as a sterile public environment.  If you’re that paranoid don’t eat in the buffet. 

Thank you for your scientific input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...