Cruise Critic Community
Matman1215

Cheapest alcohol - mainly tequila

Visiting Cabo, PV & Mazatlan next month. Which of these 3 ports has the best deals on alcohol, mainly tequila? Thanks!

Check Walmart or in Puerto Vallarta the La Playa stores.

I would suggest you have a rough idea what the liquor prices are at home before you head for the ship.  Bargains can be found for certain brands but often the savings is minimal. Don't forget to factor in the logistics involved in getting the liquor home from the cruise port back in the states.  You are pretty much stuck with packing it in your check bags.

For Vallarta, the info Ine gave is good plus the Soriana Super (grocery store) immediately south of the port is a good source.  

Are shopping something in particular?

Enjoy!

Great advice!  A friend of mine insisted on buying high-end tequila on one cruise.  After he got home, he discovered that he had paid more for the tequila in Mexico than he would have paid at a good liquor store in his home town -- plus the hassle of transporting it (and the risk of breakage).

I never buy booze while traveling to bring home unless it is something I cannot get at home -- Mount Gay used to make a rum (Sugar Cane Rum, I think it was called) that was not for export, and that I could not buy in the States.  So it was worth the hassle.  But to save a few dollars on the purchase price, not worth it!

On 10/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, MSN-Travelers said:

I would suggest you have a rough idea what the liquor prices are at home before you head for the ship.  Bargains can be found for certain brands but often the savings is minimal. Don't forget to factor in the logistics involved in getting the liquor home from the cruise port back in the states.  You are pretty much stuck with packing it in your check bags.

For Vallarta, the info Ine gave is good plus the Soriana Super (grocery store) immediately south of the port is a good source.  

Are shopping something in particular?

Enjoy!

I am a big tequila fan and like to bring back tequila that I don't have here--or I'll buy it on the ship because sometimes it truly is much cheaper than at home. Always pack in my checked bags and have special liquor carriers made exactly for travel. Will check out that store. Thank you!

The La Playa liquor stores will have the best selection of tequilas.  A google search will show you where they are located in the Vallarta area.

The Soriana and  Mega grocery stores often offer the best prices on mainstream brands. Think of them as an equivalent of our Walmart super stores in the States.

Enjoy !

Costco has the prices on good tequila.  I paid more in Mexico then Costco for the same brand.