Jump to content

Thermal Suite and Thalassotherapy Pool on NA


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

What you said PLUS 2 small steam rooms and a sauna.  Enjoy ! Great for getting rid of those extra pounds you picked up the day before :classic_biggrin:

 

The pounds just melt off?  Well, we'll have to do that then - thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On our recent Rotterdam cruise of the Baltic the charge for the thermal suite for 14 days was $249. I had booked it ahead of time at $349. The good folks at the Greenhouse Spa promptly and cheerfully reversed the $349 transaction and entered a new order at $249. 

I have learned that the thermal suite holds a lot less attraction for me when on a warm-weather cruise. Considering how wet, rainy, and cold the weather was all along the Baltic Sea, I'm surprised that I didn't make greater use of it. The Rotterdam's thermal suite has no hydrotherapy pool, just a slightly oversize spa, and I think I felt the absence of it.

Not sure if/when I'll order the thermal suite again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

On our recent Rotterdam cruise of the Baltic the charge for the thermal suite for 14 days was $249. I had booked it ahead of time at $349. The good folks at the Greenhouse Spa promptly and cheerfully reversed the $349 transaction and entered a new order at $249. 

I have learned that the thermal suite holds a lot less attraction for me when on a warm-weather cruise. Considering how wet, rainy, and cold the weather was all along the Baltic Sea, I'm surprised that I didn't make greater use of it. The Rotterdam's thermal suite has no hydrotherapy pool, just a slightly oversize spa, and I think I felt the absence of it.

Not sure if/when I'll order the thermal suite again.

 

I don't bother with the spa if there's no hydrotherapy pool. That's my favorite part of the spa. 

 

I'm annoyed at the pricing for the spa. Last winter on the K'dam, the per person price for a single was $50 more than for two people booking with the "couple discount." I see no justification for this. I understand the single supplement for the cabin. I'm taking up space meant for two. But in the spa I don't occupy two loungers at once, or use twice as many robes/towels as each person in a couple. I was so aggravated (along with other things I disliked on the K), that I didn't bother with the spa. As you say, it's less attractive in a warm climate and my cruise was port intensive. More sea days on my cruise this winter, so I'm still thinking about it.

 

I truly feel the spa pricing is discriminatory.  I complained to HAL. Their answer was that the spa company sets the prices. So I complained to them. The answer was that the singles price wasn't really higher, it's just that the couple's price was reduced because of a discount. So couples get a discount and singles don't, but that isn't discriminatory...

 

As we singles know, it's a Noah's Ark world.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Last winter on the K'dam, the per person price for a single was $50 more than for two people booking with the "couple discount." I see no justification for this. I

 

I hear you and agree.  DH has never had any desire to use the spa and I had to on our Westerdam cruise for exercises for my recovering  elbow (highly recommend the thalassotherapy pool).

 

Fortunately, I found another single on our roll call to share with and, on board, we confirmed with the spa that it was ok and got the couple’s rate and split it.

 

That’s the only solution I have been able to find for a single, sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kazu said:

 

I hear you and agree.  DH has never had any desire to use the spa and I had to on our Westerdam cruise for exercises for my recovering  elbow (highly recommend the thalassotherapy pool).

 

Fortunately, I found another single on our roll call to share with and, on board, we confirmed with the spa that it was ok and got the couple’s rate and split it.

 

That’s the only solution I have been able to find for a single, sadly.

 

DH fell off his bike and broke his arm one week before a cruise on QE2. She had a wonderful thalassotherapy pool The break was high on the upper arm, so no cast, just a sling. He went to the hydropool everyday and did his little arm swing exercised. We joked that maybe we could deduct our cruise fare as a medical expense, since his doctor was impressed at DH's healing progress. But we didn't--too chicken to mess with the all-powerful IRS!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We joked that maybe we could deduct our cruise fare as a medical expense, since his doctor was impressed at DH's healing progress. But we didn't--too chicken to mess with the all-powerful IRS!

 

 

LOL - I asked my accountant if I could deduct it since I was ORDERED to use it by my surgeon.  No dice for me, either.

 

I’m not complaining as it really helped my healing 😄 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I booked it.  Besides me, my wife and granddaughter will be in the cabin.  The system didn't ask who the other person in the "couple" was - it just shows my name.  So, if my wife goes without me, what shows that she has access?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

OK, I booked it.  Besides me, my wife and granddaughter will be in the cabin.  The system didn't ask who the other person in the "couple" was - it just shows my name.  So, if my wife goes without me, what shows that she has access?

They put a sticker on your card at your first visit.  Every time after that, you simply trade in your room card (with the sticker on it) for an access card that opens up the doors to the different rooms.  We usually show up together, so we both get a sticker.  If the three of you were to show up individually one at a time and just state your room number, who knows what would happen?  Not by any means suggesting it, just wondering...

Edited by taxmantoo
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

They put a sticker on your card at your first visit.  Every time after that, you simply trade in your room card (with the sticker on it) for an access card that opens up the doors to the different rooms.  We usually show up together, so we both get a sticker.  If the three of you were to show up individually one at a time and just state your room number, who knows what would happen?  Not by any means suggesting it, just wondering...

 

Sounds good - thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

They put a sticker on your card at your first visit.  Every time after that, you simply trade in your room card (with the sticker on it) for an access card that opens up the doors to the different rooms.  We usually show up together, so we both get a sticker.  If the three of you were to show up individually one at a time and just state your room number, who knows what would happen?  Not by any means suggesting it, just wondering...

 

My experience is that they get to know you, at least recognize your face, pretty quickly. 

 

A few cruises ago, I saw a woman struggling to open the door to the hydropool area. I asked if she needed help and she said her key wasn't working. She hadn't traded her key for the spa key. She though the sticker on her cabin key card would enable her key card to open the spa door. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chloes nana said:

I thought the Nieuw Amsterdam didn’t have a a true thalasso therapy pool, just a large hot tub.

The Nieuw Amsterdam does have a full T-pool. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Amsterdam?
Different ships, and different classes of ships. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

we were thinking of the thermal suite on a Christmas Veendam cruise as we do not have a balcony and wanted to have a space away from the crowds. I know the thermal suite is smaller but would you recommend it. Does it get so busy you cannot find a bed?

Edited by Deep68
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, kazu said:

 

I hear you and agree.  DH has never had any desire to use the spa and I had to on our Westerdam cruise for exercises for my recovering  elbow (highly recommend the thalassotherapy pool).

 

Fortunately, I found another single on our roll call to share with and, on board, we confirmed with the spa that it was ok and got the couple’s rate and split it.

 

That’s the only solution I have been able to find for a single, sadly.

 

I would appreciate any tips for how you made this work. Do you know if sharing with another single (in a different cabin) is still allowed? I would like to do this, but also wonder if the passes sell out. I read here on CC that there are only 60 passes sold for each cruise, but do not know if this is accurate. Thanks for your thoughts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yokeko said:

 

I would appreciate any tips for how you made this work. Do you know if sharing with another single (in a different cabin) is still allowed? I would like to do this, but also wonder if the passes sell out. I read here on CC that there are only 60 passes sold for each cruise, but do not know if this is accurate. Thanks for your thoughts!

 

I simply posted on our roll call that I was looking for another single to share with.  We were already connected by email so we just went to the spa together (turned out we didn’t have to) and registered as a couple.  It was as smooth as silk.  The key is to find someone to share with before you board.

 

I’ve never bought the spa pass ahead of time.  I bought it on embarkation day.  The only trick to it is to ask them to bill the cabins separately.  They couldn’t do it on one cruise and billed me so that person just paid me their share.  On the last cruise when I did it, they did bill us each so it worked out nicely.

 

I’ve never had a problem buying it on embarkation day.  They do only sell so many passes (the number depends on the size of the ship) but if you go once you board you should be fine based on my experience.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, Petronillus said:

The Rotterdam's thermal suite has no hydrotherapy pool, just a slightly oversize spa, and I think I felt the absence of it.

Not sure if/when I'll order the thermal suite again.

 

Me neither on the ships that have such a set-up.  On the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class ships, the amenity is well worth its price for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to report, currently on the Nieuw Statendam and I took a  screenshot of the thermal spa/suite prices which were posted on my itinerary online under indulgences. The same prices were advertised  (single and couples) on embarkation day - so if you have a lot of OBC, wait until you board to book the spa pass.

 

Carol

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...