Snorkeling - by boat or from beach?

Lem_On_Ade

Hi everyone! I will be going to Roatan for the first time in January. I've been contemplating going to Little French Key since I was supposed to go there in 9/17 but Hurricane Irma had other plans for me. Now that I've been reading about how great the snorkeling is in Roatan I'm thinking I'd rather do that than spend the day at LFK. There will be 4 of us and we all love snorkeling and beach time. Do I need to go out by boat to get the best snorkeling trip or could I just book a day pass at one of the resorts on West Bay? If I can have just as an amazing experience entering from the beach which resort/area do you recommend? TIA!

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

And you can always book one of the West Bay resorts then hire a small boat, several along the beaches, to take you out to reefs beyond the beach line and boat traffic.

Thank you. I wondered if that would be an option or if they would mostly be booked for the day if I tried that. 

1 hour ago, Lem_On_Ade said:

Thank you. I wondered if that would be an option or if they would mostly be booked for the day if I tried that. 

These are small, open boats, individually operated by independent people.  You can't really book them in advance like at a dive company.

37 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

About how much would I expect to pay if I did that?  Thanks! 

It's been a few years since we did it.  Think we did 2 for $30.  DW tipped the guy $10.  We were out around an hour-hour 1/2.

Maybe someone who did this recently can chime on  their cost.