ms Westerdam in Juneau October 1, 2019

Scrapnana

I may return to Alaska next Summer.  Koningsdam will be there for the first time along with Westerdam.  Never have sailed on "The KIng", but, including this Summer's cruise, I have enjoyed two excellent cruises on the Westerdam.  Which to choose?

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I may return to Alaska next Summer.  Koningsdam will be there for the first time along with Westerdam.  Never have sailed on "The KIng", but, including this Summer's cruise, I have enjoyed two excellent cruises on the Westerdam.  Which to choose?

Having sailed on both ships, K-dam without a doubt!

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Whoa, what a crappy day! Spending a winter in Juneau can't be a day at the beach :classic_huh:

Don't know about Juneau, but having spent a Christmas with my Nephew in Anchorage, I can assure you "it was not a day at the beach".  Christmas Day's temperature was a minus 16 degrees with lots of wind.  I was dressed in 3 layers covered by a thick parka with hood and a hat under the hood and I was still COLD!

• Thanks 1

After hoping I would be here for sail-in, we went out...   And now she is hiding.

I would opt for the King, too, rkacruiser, out of those two, although I do like the Westerdam.  Just so much more in the way of eating establishments on the Koningsdam!  But my favourite in Alaska is always 2 weeks over one, so I think we will be looking at Maasdam next year.  (Is it Maasdam doing the two-week cruises next year?)

THe Nieuw Amsterdam will be back in 2021 replacing the Westerdam as the Westy will be in Europe in 2021. The AMSTERDAM will be in the St. Lawrence River for 2020 and 2021.  I will be in Alaska next June on either the Westerdam or Volendam or Eurodam.  I choose not to be on the Koningsdam.

22 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I would opt for the King, too, rkacruiser, out of those two, although I do like the Westerdam.  Just so much more in the way of eating establishments on the Koningsdam! 

The stand alone Sel de Mer that I experienced on Nieuw Statendam tempts me as well as the NY Deli and Pizza.  Many enjoy Tamarind, but my experience with a dining companion left much to be desired on NS.  I have enjoyed Tamarind on Eurodam, however.