Visa for Cruise out of Sydney

Hello All, 

We are US citizens and will be going to Australia early in 2020.  We will be spending a couple days in Sydney, then going on a cruise that begins and ends in Sydney.  I know I need a visa, but when I go to apply, it says there are 2 possibilities; an ETA Visa that has a $20 fee or the Tourist Stream Visa, which has a $145 fee.  From what I am reading, the ETA would suffice, but under the Stream Visa, one of the reason is a cruise.  Does anyone know happen to know which Visa I will need? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, aztek519 said:

Hello All, 

We are US citizens and will be going to Australia early in 2020.  We will be spending a couple days in Sydney, then going on a cruise that begins and ends in Sydney.  I know I need a visa, but when I go to apply, it says there are 2 possibilities; an ETA Visa that has a $20 fee or the Tourist Stream Visa, which has a $145 fee.  From what I am reading, the ETA would suffice, but under the Stream Visa, one of the reason is a cruise.  Does anyone know happen to know which Visa I will need? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

A ETA would allow you to spend under 3 months in Australia. Any longer you would need a full visa. 

Quickly, electronically 

To apply for and get an electronic travel authority, visit eta.immi.gov.au.

Update: From October 27, 2008, eligible passport holders from the European Union and other European ETA eligible countries should apply for an eVisitor instead of an ETA. The eVisitor is for travelers seeking to visit Australia for business or tourism purposes for up to three months.

The times you would need an Australian visa (instead of an ETA) to travel to Sydney and other parts of Australia is when you are traveling on a cruise ship, you want to stay in Australia for more than three months, you hold a passport of a country not eligible for an ETA, or if you plan to stay permanently.

If you were thinking of becoming an Australian resident, see what's needed at the Department of Immigration site.

38 minutes ago, aztek519 said:

Hello All, 

Thanks!

The ETA will suffice as long as you are not staying over 3 months

If travelling using  passport from a visa waver country, (incl USA) all you need is an ETA. An ETA is electronically attached to your passport....    Apply on line and issued almost immediately..

Official government site    for Australia       https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas    

Official government site for New Zealand    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

(By the way, AU and NZ passport holders need the USA version (ESTA) if they are visiting USA as tourists)