Neptune Suite guarantee

twentyknots

If you're thinking about a guarantee for a NS, the only minus is if you have a strong opinion about where you want your cabin to be. Many people love the corner afts for the large balconies and wake views. Others don't want the aft Neptunes because of the long distance to the Neptune lounge and because there's less motion midships if you get rough weather. Some people worry about the Neptunes by the glass elevator because of people going by and able to see your balcony, although people I've met who had those cabins weren't bothered. There are no bad Neptunes on Zuiderdam in terms of the rooms themselves. The only issue would be if you have strong preferences about location. 

The only NS I would avoid would be the spa SQs on the Pinnacle class ships. Too far forward (motion) and balcony is small compared to other Neptunes.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you're thinking about a guarantee for a NS, the only minus is if you have a strong opinion about where you want your cabin to be. Many people love the corner afts for the large balconies and wake views. Others don't want the aft Neptunes because of the long distance to the Neptune lounge and because there's less motion midships if you get rough weather. Some people worry about the Neptunes by the glass elevator because of people going by and able to see your balcony, although people I've met who had those cabins weren't bothered. There are no bad Neptunes on Zuiderdam in terms of the rooms themselves. The only issue would be if you have strong preferences about location. 

The only NS I would avoid would be the spa SQs on the Pinnacle class ships. Too far forward (motion) and balcony is small compared to other Neptunes.

I did a guarantee and I do not want the spa SQs, what should I do?  I am ok with movement but my sister in law is not.

I won't do a guarantee again FWIW.

I've done several Neptune guarantees on Pacific Coastals where a guarantee was the only thing available.  Never had a bad cabin.  How could you?  It's a Neptune suite.

32 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I did a guarantee and I do not want the spa SQs, what should I do?

Call your TA or PCC and see if you can change it to a specific SC cabin. That should be the same price as your guarantee.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I did a guarantee and I do not want the spa SQs, what should I do?  I am ok with movement but my sister in law is not.

I won't do a guarantee again FWIW.

Are you on K'dam or NS? They're the only ships with SQs. On the other ships the Neptunes are all along the sides or aft. Nothing at the front. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I can confirm this comment. Ended up with an SQ on Nieuw Statendam last Christmas due to a last minute booking (had to cancel our 14 month reservation since we didn't think one person's vacation would work out--but then it did). Cabin was absolutely huge with a window facing the front of the ship which was really nice BUT the balcony was tiny. We could just barely find space to stand at the railing with two chairs and footrests on the deck. Motion wasn't too much of an issue in the Caribbean and it was nice being close to the Retreat cabanas. Thank goodness I had booked two cabanas for the family. But never again a Neptune guarantee on those big ships.

• Like 1

I just talked to my TA and he said more than likely they won't give me SQ but who knows.  I said SB would be good and SA.

He also said to contact guest services if the motion is a problem.

I did find out I have 600$ OBC😁!  I am cancelling everything I booked.😉

BTW, if I upgrade they were going to charge me an extra 600$, no way..

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

@Judyrem That's what I thought, too. Even had an SA Neptune assigned to us one week out which was changed to the SQ two days later.....

And HAL considers that an upgrade! I just did a quick dummy booking and the SQ was $100 more pp (7 days) than an SA. That's a surprise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And HAL considers that an upgrade! I just did a quick dummy booking and the SQ was $100 more pp (7 days) than an SA. That's a surprise. 

I know, it’s nuts.  I’ve never been able to figure that one out 😉 

My biggest fear on a guarantee NS would be a HC cabin.

I do not like the Neptune suites right next to the glass elevators.  Nor do I like the spa ones on the bigger ships.  For our upcoming back to back on the Oosterdam I did not want a guarantee so because I wanted to be in the same cabin we ended up booking an SB which is fine.  I also marked it do not upgrade as what HAL thinks is an upgrade, I don’t.   The aft Neptune was available for our back to back (which I’d love) but hubby doesn’t want aft cabin.  

Very often HAL only lets you book the SC category as a "guarantee".  Recently I got very lucky and was able to book a specific SC on the Oosterdam, right next to a SA cabin, on deck 7.  Surprising, as this is on a Pacific Coastals cruises, which others have pointed out are often only sold (for all Neptunes) as a Guaranteee.

I marked my reservation "do not upgrade" as IMO it is in a better location than most of the SBs, which is very likely where I would be upgraded too (due to HAL's aggressive upsell program, most of the SA's are taken before the free upgrade process starts (I have seen this on several cruises)).  The point is, you really do need to do your homework on the various deck plans before you book your Neptune cabin (or any cabin for that matter).

• Like 1

The purpose of the guarantee is so they can give you a room where they want to put you.  If you don't like those terms, then you should never book a guarantee because once it's assigned, you're stuck with it.  I like that Celebrity typically assigns guarantees pretty far out, so you have the opportunity to call and ask for another room if you don't like it.  Doesn't work all the time, but it's helpful.  HAL waits until the last minute and even then, they have the right to switch you around as needed.

• Like 2

We always book the cabin we want.  We cancelled the December Zuiderdam cruise with cabin 5191 for several reasons.  We had a good price along with $900 in OBC plus 2 free speciality dinners and $100  drink cards.  I happened to be on the HAL site yesterday and checked the price of the cruise that we had cancelled.  The NS guarantee was $1662 less than the price we had, but none of the extras.  Even so, that's still ~$600 less than what we were going to pay if we had kept it.  When I selected 5191 the price jumped $1300.  Big jump for that SB cabin.

• Like 1