Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
lisa6191

Specialty dining gratuity

So in another thread, someone pointed out that if you purchase your specialty dining in the cruise planner, there is no gratuity added, but if you wait to purchase onboard, they do add the 18% gratuity. Is this correct? If you purchase in the cruise planner, is there no gratuity added at any point unless you give one yourself voluntarily? It seems like it would be better to purchase ahead of time in that case, although I guess the price on board could go low enough to compensate for the extra 18%. I had been planning to just wait and see what we feel like doing on board, but maybe it's worth it to plan ahead.

Does anyone know if it works the same way for spa treatments?

Yes--no grats added in cruise planner, however, if purchase on board there will be  an 18% added.  Any grats if you book in the planner is at your discretion.

Not familiar with spa.

I have found the precruise offers online for dining packages are much better than booking on the ship.

It is different for spa.  It is best to wait till you are on the ship to book spa visits.   Especially if you are platinum member or higher as you will get 15 or 20% off when you book onboard but dont get that discount if you book online.

And if you book a spa visit on a port day they offer additional discounts.   I.e.  I was at port in nassau went out for a morning excursion then booked a pedicure for afternoon before we left port and got an extra 20% off.   

I always book on line and it states when you make the purchase that gratuity is included.  

It’s built in to the pre cruise price.  So on board you may not actually be saving a whole lotta dough

We had dinner one night last week at Hooked on Symphony. The gratuity was included but our waiter said we were welcome to add an additional gratuity if we wanted. Really?  We didn't.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, maxxboy said:

We had dinner one night last week at Hooked on Symphony. The gratuity was included but our waiter said we were welcome to add an additional gratuity if we wanted. Really?  We didn't.

If I had a waiter telling me that, I'd not tip one cent extra.  We do have the UDP and tip a minimum of $10 per person for dinner and $5 for lunch because we feel the service we have gotten is worth it.

We have never been told or even had anyone suggest an extra tip as that would mean to me, no extra tip.  I do what I feel is right, not what someone suggests to me.  JMO.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

If I had a waiter telling me that, I'd not tip one cent extra.  We do have the UDP and tip a minimum of $10 per person for dinner and $5 for lunch because we feel the service we have gotten is worth it.

We have never been told or even had anyone suggest an extra tip as that would mean to me, no extra tip.  I do what I feel is right, not what someone suggests to me.  JMO.

We also do many specialty dinners on every cruise and have never had a waiter ask for a extra tip.  I also always leave $10.00 cash at the end for two of us. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:09 AM, nelblu said:

Yes--no grats added in cruise planner, however, if purchase on board there will be  an 18% added.  Any grats if you book in the planner is at your discretion.

Not familiar with spa.

Service charge is included when booked online. 

This is the tip. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 7.20.59 PM.png

I'm probably in the minority but I tip well - especially if I plan on returning during the cruise. A steak dinner where I live is always at least $200 which means a stadard $40 tip. So maybe I don't do twice that much but I would do at least $25-30.  

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to tip an additional amount above the service charge that is included when purchased online.  

I think it is really important for people to fully understand that they have been charged a tip already. 

Be as grateful and generous as you can be! 

We were a combination of offended and shocked when our waiter said that. He was fine, the restaurant wasn't busy, food good.

2 hours ago, maxxboy said:

We were a combination of offended and shocked when our waiter said that. He was fine, the restaurant wasn't busy, food good.

It is extremely tacky and shows a lack of training.