Cruise Critic Community
uncleg

Half Moon Cay versus Princess Cay

Here's the deal, promised my niece a cruise when she graduated from high school, she been wanting to cruise since she was a little girl, but her age, timing (aka Travel ball) never allowed for it to happen.  Anyway the only thing she wants to be able to do is be able to see her feet through the clear blue water. LOL  We are looking are  cruises now and I know what to expect from Half moon Cay, but not Princess Cay, are they comparable?  Which is better?

Princess Cay is more rocky and if you are looking for the best beach, I think I would go HMC.  If possible get a cruise that stops at HMC and Grand Turk.

Posted (edited)

No comparison with Half Moon   The beach is maybe 50 yards wide and rocky.

We avoid Princess cay or if we have to go there stay on the ship, not a beach port but a cabana look at the view port.   JMO

Princess cay would remind me of the beach at Tygart Lake 🙂  Yep from Fairmont Originally 🙂 

Edited by Tyhunt

We have been to both HMC and Princess Cay within the past month, and HANDS DOWN Half Moon Cay wins. I was sooooo disappointed with Princess Cay, the beach was rocky.

Read my lips....

Half Moon Cay

The beach on Princess Cay is rocky (watershoes!) but the water is clear and beautiful.

The beach on HMC is like heaven.

Since your niece wants to see her feet through clear water then I would pick HMC (unless she has Hobbit feet then PC would be no problem).

Like an other poster said try and find a cruise that includes Grand Turk if possible.

Ugh.  Dislike Grand Turk very much.  At least, around the port area.

Anyway, yes HMC all the way.

Now, there's nothing wrong with Princess Cays for a beach day, but I'm not a swimmer so the rocky beach doesn't impact me.  If you go there, do wear water shoes, though.  At the end of the month, I'm going to try going away from the main area on PC and see if I like it better down there.

I'm not even a beach person, but HMC is just so gorgeous!

Posted (edited)

I will agree with the others HMC beats Princess Cay by a long shot. When my DW and I went we were so let down by the beach. I wonder what is the reason that Princess doesn't do anything to improve this? I am sure a lot of it environmental but I got to think they could do something. 

Edited by VolzCruiser

Posted (edited)

I've never been to HMC. But, I was just at Princess Cays last week. And I just don't get what people mean by the beach being rocky and having to wear water shoes. I didn't wear any and it was fine. We went down the beach and chose chairs close to the Sanctuary area. It was all soft sand walking down into the water and once we waded/swam out. 

Now, there were rocks on the beach and in the water, but they were large and easily avoided. It was also not crowded at all and I thought the scenery was amazing.

08.thumb.jpg.8967c88b6a5a8c23cc379d61fbc90724.jpg

Edited by MisterOJ2

On 10/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, NCTribeFan said:

Ugh.  Dislike Grand Turk very much.  At least, around the port area

The only thing we like in GT is diving the wall, it is an amazing dive. Our divemaster killed at least 15 Lionfish, pretty cool. We take a morning dive and back to the ship around noon and relax on the empty Serenity area.