Cruise Critic Community
rede2go6464

surf vs surf and stream package

I am not tech savvy, so forgive me if this is a silly question. We will be sailing on the Liberty and I don't believe they have the free texting app?

What is the difference between the surf and stream package and just the surf package? All I really need is to be able to text message the other 3 people in my group.

My understanding is that I can get one of the packages for 4 devices (either surf or surf and stream) and then give the password to 3 others in our group and we can communicate.

I've already purchased the Unlimited Beverage Package for everyone (without any type of internet) but I'm thinking of changing ONLY  mine to Unlimited Beverage plus Voom, just so we can text among us. I don"t  understand if I need/want the surf  OR  surf and stream. Is the "stream" part only so that I can watch videos and stuff? We are all adults and none of us plan to be doing any business while we are sailing, if that helps. If I change mine to Unlimited Beverage with Voom, does the person sharing my cabin keep just the Unlimited Beverage (without voom)?

Thank you for your patience on this, and any help.

8 minutes ago, rede2go6464 said:

What is the difference between the surf and stream package and just the surf package?

About 8x in download speed, though that may not translate to very noticeable diff in actual performance. No text feature in RCI app yet for Liberty. You can check status of features here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZ1gCFtt1eiX1OWw9q-8tnEU5uQCWIjBwQt-w3t040s/edit#gid=1881900306

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, rede2go6464 said:

... I don"t  understand if I need/want the surf  OR  surf and stream. Is the "stream" part only so that I can watch videos and stuff?  ...

For the use you mention, Surf is fine.

I cruise often and am Diamond on RC and always get the Surf and Stream package..I am wondering if the basic one (SURF) is fast enough to handle Facetime video calls?   I don't stream movies or anything like that. 

Cruising on Mariner of the seas soon,

THANKS

5 minutes ago, jaxflygirl88 said:

I cruise often and am Diamond on RC and always get the Surf and Stream package..I am wondering if the basic one (SURF) is fast enough to handle Facetime video calls?   I don't stream movies or anything like that. 

Cruising on Mariner of the seas soon,

THANKS

Facetime is video streaming.

We used the Surf and Stream package on the Liberty in July. It was OK at the start of the week, and it seemed to get progressively slower later. Most of the time, our group was able to use it to effectively exchange messages using Messenger. However, one night even that experienced delays of an hour or more. On that cruise, at least, even the faster package was barely adequate. It did, however, usually let us exchange messages.

Thank you all for your help!  Not sure which I'll get, but at least now I know the difference. As Host Clarea mentioned, I believe that the Surf (Voom) will be adequate for my purposes. 

On 10/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, rede2go6464 said:

We are all adults and none of us plan to be doing any business while we are sailing, if that helps. If I change mine to Unlimited Beverage with Voom, does the person sharing my cabin keep just the Unlimited Beverage (without voom)?

If you change yours to Beverage+Voom, your roommate can keep the Beverage-only package.  

However, if you do this, you'll only get access for one device at a time so you won't be able to text each other.  

What you want to do is keep the Beverage package you have, and then add a Voom Surf for Four Devices.  This way you can all be connected at the same time and send messages back and forth.