4 hours ago, CruiseHealing said:

Now that the Celebration has made a few trips to Freeport, what is open in the Port?  

I suggest you call BPCL for that info. Try the web site an see what they offer for the tours and hotel stay.

5 hours ago, ew101 said:

I wonder if Freeport will re consider the practice  of only opening the village of shops when the "bigger" ships are in port?    

We always walk to it. I have already suggested some sort of shuttle form the BPCL ship to the shops. Even a golf cart shuttle. They can use all the customers they can get. It is a short walk and we have no problems with it. But I am sure others might have. Before BPCL the other company did dock on the other side. Opposite of where they dock now. So you got off at the shops. Because the access to the shops is not direct. That is probably why they are not open. Not many walk to it. Nothing is mentioned on the ship about the shops either. You are told there is nothing to do at the pier. Those that stay on the ship may not know how to get to the shops or do not know about them. So easy to see from the ship. My wife will always buy something. All the stores are nice and most of the time live island music.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, CruiseHealing said:

Now that the Celebration has made a few trips to Freeport, what is open in the Port?  

Here ya go.

Freeport Harbor: Shops, eat and drink visit the straw market. A short walk

Port Lucaya and nice free beach. Requires a shuttle to town.

Bike & Beach Tour

Swim With the Pigs & Beach Tour

Grand Lucayan Resort & Snorkel Adventure

Jeep Adventure & Beach Experience

Snorkel Adventure

Grand Lucian resort & Dolphin Close Encounter

Parasailing

Pelican Lake Kayak

Grand Lucayan resort & Glass Bottom Boat

Jet Ski Tour & beach Day

“For the day”

Viva Wyndham resort

Grand Lucayan resort

Beach Getaway

Deep Sea Fishing

Beach Get away & Sunset sail

Freeport Harbor Businesses sign.jpg

I like that little marketplace but I can’t walk that far because my knees are bad. I always get a taxi to take me over but like you guys said it’s not always open. I’ve stayed at Port Lucaya so many times it holds no interest for me. My fun is just getting away from West Palm Beach and being out on the ocean. I’m definitely going to take that Nassau cruise. 

2 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

I like that little marketplace but I can’t walk that far because my knees are bad. I always get a taxi to take me over but like you guys said it’s not always open. I’ve stayed at Port Lucaya so many times it holds no interest for me. My fun is just getting away from West Palm Beach and being out on the ocean. I’m definitely going to take that Nassau cruise. 

It is always open whenever there is another ship in the port. Carnival etc. So when we do a BPCL one we see when another ship will be in the port when we are.

Just now, twodaywonder said:

It is always open whenever there is another ship in the port. Carnival etc. So when we do a BPCL one we see when another ship will be in the port when we are.

Another thought for them. Have those electric two wheel scooters available to rent to go there.

From what I have learned where the BPCL ships dock, a shuttle from their dock to this shopping area would be greatly appreciated by me.  My long distance walking days are over, I think.  When I visited that marketplace on a Carnival cruise to Freeport, I really enjoyed my time ashore and certainly did contribute to the country's economy.

I just got back yesterday and this time Lacaya was closed as well as the straw market. They didn't tell me that when I booked the cruise. All that was available at no charge was the few vendors right outside of the port doors. There was a beach excursion available for a price, but that was it. No "excursions" to speak of due to the hurricane last month.

1 hour ago, nursejane72 said:

I just got back yesterday and this time Lacaya was closed as well as the straw market. They didn't tell me that when I booked the cruise. All that was available at no charge was the few vendors right outside of the port doors. There was a beach excursion available for a price, but that was it. No "excursions" to speak of due to the hurricane last month.

If there are no other ships in the Freeport port where the ship docks, the straw market and stores there are always closed.

Seeing as though there is not much to do on the island, one would think they would open the straw market. If nothing is open and excursions aren’t offered, they should go to another island. Guests do no need to be freely roaming around the island where people have no homes etc 

We need to hear frame someone who recently cruised to Freeport with another ship like Carnival Docked there on the same day. You can easily see the straw market and the shops there from the Grand Celebration.

Again. No other ship. It will be closed.

With no other port other than Freeport offered and Freeport is really not ready for cruise guests, why not offer a "Cruise to Nowhere" with the time spent at sea enjoying the amenities of the ship?  Something in my memory bank, though, is reminding me that such a cruise is no longer legal.  

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Carnival has announced that Pride will be there tomorrow (Oct. 11) and Elation on Sunday.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21699-carnival-to-resume-calls-to-grand-bahama.html

But, what will be the guest experience?  I surely hope it will be a good one.  More for the benefit of the $$ spent by the guests for the benefit of the citizens of Freeport than for the benefit of the cruise line guests.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

With no other port other than Freeport offered and Freeport is really not ready for cruise guests, why not offer a "Cruise to Nowhere" with the time spent at sea enjoying the amenities of the ship?  Something in my memory bank, though, is reminding me that such a cruise is no longer legal.  

You are correct. No longer legal.

Beginning in 2016, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection cracked down on the enforcement of maritime laws, and foreign-flagged ships could no longer sail without calling in a foreign port along the way. The new push focused on immigration laws concerning D-1 visa holders, a type of working visa often held by cruise ship crew members. According to the Immigration and Nationality Act, “a D-1 visa holder is eligible to serve as a crew member on a vessel only if the crew member 'intends to land [in the United States] temporarily and solely in the pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from the United States with the vessel.” So even though cruises to nowhere enter international waters, legally the cruise is not considered to have left the US because the ship never touches a foreign country or territory.

We’ve come up with some substitutes from the ports that used to be the most popular for cruises to nowhere, even though nothing can truly replace their ease and affordability.

• 6 months later...
On 10/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Carnival ships will be in Freeport on October 15,17, (18th - 2 ships), 20, (24th - 2 ships), 25, and the 27. There may be ships there before the 15th but I have no way of knowing. If any, Those would have stared there cruise before today.

Hi ! I was curious how long of a walk it is to Port Lucaya from where Carnival ports their ships. Or a cab ride, and how much?  I've never been to Freeport and wanting to do something other than a cruise ship excursion.  We are looking for a beach day.  Thank you for posting the port shop map and listing what's available.

Do NOT pay for transportation on the ship. To expensive. The ride is only $10.00. There are a lot of places right by the ship. See attached. Then if you want to go to town take the cab. There is a nice free beach at the end of town past the police station. A very short walk from where the cab will drop you off. Lots of nice stores in town and the rum drinks are very good in both locations.

Freeport Harbor Businesses sign.jpg

24 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm looking at Google Maps and found the Lucaya Police Station. Is the Lucaya Beach Resort the free beach you referenced? I also see The Grand Lucayan Resort.  Thank you for your help!

I do not know the name. The information I gave you was from my son when he went there with his son. He told me it was a very nice clean beach and they both had a good time there. So I personally have not been to that beach. As far as I know it is a public not a private beach. I have been to Port Lucia several times.. One time that we were there the school children were holding a dancing show in the main square. It was really beautiful and they were dressed super nice. The town is very small but nice to see. The people are very nice also. A lot do not like going because there is not much to do in Port Lucia. We enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good to know!  Hopefully our September 2020 cruise wont get canceled and we will be able to check out Freeport.  Thank you for your help!!

September should be a go. If you are not looking for major attractions, I am sure will will like the laid back atmosphere.