what do you put on your luggage tags?

racnwdow

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My business cards did not have any personal info other than my name.They had names of the companies I worked for . The only way a business card should have any personal info is if one is self employed,which I gather you are.

Mine have a business address not my home address.  They do include my phone and email because in our modern and technologically-advanced global society both are exceedingly helpful if people want to get in contact with you which is among the primary reasons to have and hand out business cards in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nobody ever heard of identity theft at the time.

Identity theft occurs when someone uses another's personally identifying information, like their name, identifying number, or credit card number, without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes. The term identity theft was coined in 1964.

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

In addition to Google:

Have I Been Pwned

I tried looking up the story but either it was not widely reported or is buried super deep amongst the more recent news. But since I didn't come across any repeated situations it probably means it wasn't that profitable a business model. 

Being a victim of a crime does make you hyper vigilant so I understand why you would react that way. But at the end of the day one has to live their life and the fact is we are always giving personal information to many companies that the sell it on to other companies. If you have ever thrown out a computer or mobile phone some organised crime gang will have gone through it looking for information. If you have ever bought anything online that information is sold on to data companies. Even information you give to the government the companies that run the software usually have the right to take portions of data and sell it to research companies and in amongst all that are organised crime gangs from around the world who are breaking into these data banks and stealing all the information. You luggage tag is the least valuable source of information and most likely your luggage tag information is already in the database of the airline since when purchasing a ticket you have to give your name, address, phone and email. 

I never buy anything on line and never have.I have a cell phone solely for use in an emergency,example,I have had 36 falls.The last one I was on my floor with a broken wrist/hand and did not have the strength to get up on my own. I had the cel phone in a pocket on my person and even though the pain in my hand was intense I was able to get it into the pocket to call for help.

4 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Mine have a business address not my home address.  They do include my phone and email because in our modern and technologically-advanced global society both are exceedingly helpful if people want to get in contact with you which is among the primary reasons to have and hand out business cards in the first place. 

As I previously stated when I was last employed there were no cell phones,no e-mail .Business cards were exchanged as a form of introduction.

4 minutes ago, clo said:
Identity theft occurs when someone uses another's personally identifying information, like their name, identifying number, or credit card number, without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes. The term identity theft was coined in 1964.

I accept that even though that was not something I heard of in 1964.When I last had a business card it was before the use of credit cards,cell phones,the internet and anything else that present day business cards have. It was used solely as a method of introduction.Example, my father used one when he was employed in 1921.To reiterate or iterate I never heard the term identity theft till about 20 years ago.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:14 AM, racnwdow said:

What do you put on your luggage tags?  I used to put home address, phone number, name.  But traveling without my husband and times a changing, I am not sure I want all of that out there for anyone to see.

Name, address and contact number for general tags, just a name for cruise tags (as they already have the other relevant info).

3 hours ago, clo said:

The term might have been coined in 1964 but identity theft has been around since ancient Egypt😂. If you worked for the Pharoah you would get a cartouche which was I guess was the equivelant of having a company credit card. People would make fake cartouches and go up to businesses pretending to be so and so jeweller to the Pharoah and they need a hundred emeralds and they show the cartouche to prove the business will be paid of course business doesn't get paid the owners complain to their representitive who then relays it back to the royal court and if so and so sculpture couldn't prove that they had not abused their cartouche they ended up executed for the crime😥. Thousands of years on nothing much has changed considering in the majority of cases the victim of ID theft ends up worst off than the perpetrator😳.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

I tried looking up the story but either it was not widely reported or is buried super deep amongst the more recent news. But since I didn't come across any repeated situations it probably means it wasn't that profitable a business model. 

Don't know of it was ever publicized.  I got the story from a neighbor who is a (recently retired) NY/NJ  Port Authority Detective.  (Police officer) The subject came up at a dinner party when he ADAMANTLY said never to put your home address on your luggage tags.  

On 10/2/2019 at 3:46 PM, herbanrenewal said:

As someone who has experienced both lost and delayed luggage on different occasions I now put my hotel address or cruise ship on the luggage tag when journeying to my destination. I'll have an itinerary with all destinations and dates if multiple overnights in different locations inside a clear plastic luggage tag holder. On the way home I just use my address.

This way I have at least some hope of having my luggage catch up to me.

Of course meds, grooming essentials, and at least one change of clothes is in my carryon.

This is what we do too with a statement "full itinerary in outer pocket"

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never buy anything on line and never have.I have a cell phone solely for use in an emergency,example,I have had 36 falls.The last one I was on my floor with a broken wrist/hand and did not have the strength to get up on my own. I had the cel phone in a pocket on my person and even though the pain in my hand was intense I was able to get it into the pocket to call for help.

Sounds like one of the alert fobs would be better for you.  You fall, THEY CALL YOU.

My Dad (92) has one.  Every so often he bumps it and gets a call from the company.  We know it works.

As for not buying online, that is your choice.  But for those of us who work, it is WONDERFUL.

And yes, I have had credit cards hacked.  Most times, the credit card company contacts me.  But either way, we go over recent charges, they remove the fraudulent ones, they cancel the card, and send me a new.  No big deal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FredT said:

Don't know of it was ever publicized.  I got the story from a neighbor who is a (recently retired) NY/NJ  Port Authority Detective.  (Police officer) The subject came up at a dinner party when he ADAMANTLY said never to put your home address on your luggage tags.  

Well that explains why I couldn't find it but since the operation didn't get any bigger than this one man it seems it wasn't that successful, otherwise it probably would make the news and like I said it doesn't seem to have been repeated. All the articles about what cameras catch baggage handlers do it is always them stealing from luggage not taking pictures of luggage tags. So it does seem to be really rare, probably too rare to worry about. Your luggage is probably more likely to be lost than your tag photographed.

Edited by ilikeanswers

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As I previously stated when I was last employed there were no cell phones,no e-mail .Business cards were exchanged as a form of introduction.

Well then considering your lack of familiarity with the modern world perhaps you might refrain from declaring people who use business cards in the manner for which they are intended as either brave or foolish.  

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Sounds like one of the alert fobs would be better for you.  You fall, THEY CALL YOU.

My Dad (92) has one.  Every so often he bumps it and gets a call from the company.  We know it works.

As for not buying online, that is your choice.  But for those of us who work, it is WONDERFUL.

And yes, I have had credit cards hacked.  Most times, the credit card company contacts me.  But either way, we go over recent charges, they remove the fraudulent ones, they cancel the card, and send me a new.  No big deal.

Yes to all of these.

My late MIL, known for stubbornness refused to use one of those "help I've fallen" apparati.

We buy a tremendous amount online and, yes, we've been hacked also although not from online things.  But since we put every cent we can on our credit card, we now use one for online purchases, reason being if we have to get a new card, we don't have to go through the hassle of changing everything over to the new one...and always missing one or two.  PS  We're in our 70s 🙂

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The term might have been coined in 1964 but identity theft has been around since ancient Egypt😂. If you worked for the Pharoah you would get a cartouche which was I guess was the equivelant of having a company credit card. People would make fake cartouches and go up to businesses pretending to be so and so jeweller to the Pharoah and they need a hundred emeralds and they show the cartouche to prove the business will be paid of course business doesn't get paid the owners complain to their representitive who then relays it back to the royal court and if so and so sculpture couldn't prove that they had not abused their cartouche they ended up executed for the crime😥. Thousands of years on nothing much has changed considering in the majority of cases the victim of ID theft ends up worst off than the perpetrator😳.

It was pure hell for me and it happened twice,once internet and the other time bank.I had to change everything that I do and everything that I say.

2 hours ago, FredT said:

That was also told to me by a Port Authority Detective who is a family friend .

Have a nice day

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I cannot do the alert fob because they would call the police who would break down the door.I have a cousin who is with the Rescue Squad of the fire dept who has access to my residence.Thanks for the thought.

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Well then considering your lack of familiarity with the modern world perhaps you might refrain from declaring people who use business cards in the manner for which they are intended as either brave or foolish.  

I never implied that I was not familiar with the modern world.If you live in 2019 and are not cognizant of everything then something is wrong.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes to all of these.

My late MIL, known for stubbornness refused to use one of those "help I've fallen" apparati.

We buy a tremendous amount online and, yes, we've been hacked also although not from online things.  But since we put every cent we can on our credit card, we now use one for online purchases, reason being if we have to get a new card, we don't have to go through the hassle of changing everything over to the new one...and always missing one or two.  PS  We're in our 70s 🙂

I hope nothing bad ever happens in that regard to you young people.

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never implied that I was not familiar with the modern world.If you live in 2019 and are not cognizant of everything then something is wrong.

Risks are measured against reward.  The security risk of my using a business card in a luggage tag when I've freely handed them around the world in the course of business is insignificant relative to the reward.   And business has been quite rewarding. 

A couple of years ago I had these made.  Mainly to give to people that we meet whether traveling or not.  Once we no longer had "business cards," we liked these.  On the back is Bob's name, cell # and email and mine.  We also put them on and in our luggage.

20191007_101929 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Risks are measured against reward.  The security risk of my using a business card in a luggage tag when I've freely handed them around the world in the course of business is insignificant relative to the reward.   And business has been quite rewarding. 

Good for you