Cruise Critic Community
wesport

Rebooking after final payment

We have a future cruise coming up that we may have to cancel for health reasons. Not a done deal yet.  Its the 10 day panama canal in and out of Fort Lauderdale.  Not a done deal yet, but may happen next week. Has anyone been able to rebook the identical itinerary or new itinerary at a higher rate in the future?  Have all the paper work organized just in case, but its like writing a book. Would be easier to just to take a later cruise and pay the additional monies, but rules are rules. 

You need to contact HAL or your TA, people who know about your booking.  Explain the circumstances and see what happens.  You will receive the best advice there- not here where there will be many conflicting opinions and not facts.  I do hope you have travel insurance.  Happy Cruising. 

2 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

Have insurance, but seems like it would be easier just to take the same itinerary at a later date. 

2 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

You need to contact HAL or your TA, people who know about your booking.  Explain the circumstances and see what happens.  You will receive the best advice there- not here where there will be many conflicting opinions and not facts.  I do hope you have travel insurance.  Happy Cruising. 

No one here is going to be able to give you a good answer.  They may make an accommodation based on your specific circumstances, understanding that they may not because they don't have to.  

I suggest starting by reading the terms and conditions on your specific booking. There are different cancellation policies, and these can be tied to how many days til embarkation, destination, length of cruise, and if you booked under a special fare. 

For example I'm after final payment but in the phase where canceling would forfeit only my deposit, whereas the next phase is something like 50% of the cruise fare.

knowing what the penalty is, and whether there's another deadline coming up might help inform your decision (and also helps clarify what you're asking for). E.g. Asking them to cut you slack when your cancellation penalty is a $1 deposit vs 50% of your cruise fare could be very different scenarios.  

Hope the health issues resolve!!!

The rules are pretty straight forward when youi have not taken out trip insurance. You can rebook anjy cruise that is equal to or more than the current booking AND has the same cancellation penalty.  This means the cost per person per cabin (not including port fees and taxes) must be equal or higher.  I was at 50% cancel fee date  (no insurance) and I was able to take my fare and apply it to a different cruise and making up the difference in price from signature suite to neptune.  I really do not think they make exceptions.  Hope this helpsl