Gave Cagney's another chance - some improvements (steak still sucked)

PortFees45

I don't know why I went back after all the gross meals I've had there recently, it's just I so very much like the IDEA of a great steakhouse at sea. 

The "standby steak" incident really had me soured on Cagney's, but I gave them another go, with some pleasant surprises. 

The shrimp cocktail was upgraded for sure. It wasn't the same shrimp you get at the buffet on seafood night slimed in that lemon olive oil stuff. These were big fat red and white tiger prawn type things. They were pretty overcooked and didn't have a lot of taste on their own, but visually they were stunning. 

I then REALLY enjoyed the crab cake. Previous crab cakes from Cageny's were obviously canned. This was real LUMP crab meat, fresh. I could have eaten two more. 

The filet is a lost cause. Overcooked, and it just tasted like a piece of dry sirloin. NCL is just serving cheap, nasty filets in Cagney's. Avoid them. 

• Like 2

Well, I understand your history and feel for you.  Since we have specialty dining and Platinum meals on upcoming b2b cruises on the Sun, we will be going to Cagney’s.  All told, we have specialty dining 9 of 12 nights, so we will likely hit all the venues.  Usually there are Cagney’s appetizers we’d enjoy.

If the quality of the filet has declined, can anybody recommend entrees that have been decent lately?  We are not picky eater and would be happy to try something new.

Have to admit, I haven't been to a Cagney's yet but all of the negative reviews have swayed me away.  That and the fact that I like to try things that I have never had before when I go on cruises.  I can make my own steak, whether it is cooked as good or not.  I really want to try the surf and turf but we are going to get it at Ocean Blue instead.

10 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

The "standby steak" incident really had me soured on Cagney's, but I gave them another go, with some pleasant surprises. 

Which ship?

3 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

yep...the filets they use now are vile

All the good filets are sent to Le Bistro and the Haven 🤣

• Haha 1

On our last NCL cruise, Cagney's was definitely the worst of the specialty restaurants we ate at. It started at the hostess stand when a cruiser leaving complained about how bad her meal was and that she sent it back and the replacement was equally bad. She was upset because she had more reservations at cagney's later in the cruise and wasn't sure if she would come back. There were two of us and each ordered a filet medium. One came out med well and one came out med rare. I prefer on the rare side and the other person preferred on the done side so we were able to make due. After hearing the other woman complain we didn't see any reason to be optimistic if we sent them back. In general everything lacked flavor though. There was certainly nothing special about the steak. Equivalent to outback.

On my last Pearl cruise, I went to Cagney's twice while sharing with another Platinum. I always order a ribeye.  Both times I had to send it back because it was overcooked. Luckily, the replacement was good enough.

Edited by IrieBajan54
layout

The new addition 18 oz Angus T-bone is available at Cagney's, Cucina and Le Bistro.  On a crew challenge I ordered it and must say it was very flavorful with the grilled marks giving that taste.

I also ordered an excellent filet at La Cucina.  The green peppercorn sauce with it (fortunately on the side) was way too salty and I did mention that but the steak itself was tender, not stringy or gristly and done perfectly (rare as requested).

Heard many good comments on the new t-bone.  At our table one guy had the prime rib (didn't it disappear from the menu at some point and reappear?)  and raved about it.  At that dinner I chose the surf & turf as the lobster tail has reemerged and both filet and tail were very good.  BTW, the SDP covers that choice.

My forever favorite at Cagney's is the lamb chops and I got a nice rack of them but they had a lot of gristle.  

Had not been to Cagney's for several cruises but on the Dawn B2B made it there 3x.  Thought the ahi tuna appetizer (like cubed poke) was really good.  The OMG cheesecake is nice! 

I've never had a horrible meal at Cagney's and have probably eaten there about 8 times, last on the Sun in May. It's similar to an Outback rather than a high-end steakhouse, in my opinion. I always order the filet and decided to try the NY Strip once and it was not very good. I miss the Brussels sprouts that they used to have--they were amazing! Will be eating here 2 times on upcoming cruise and hoping that the experience is better than what people have been saying its been lately.

I personally think, the Outback has a better steak........

Its not that Cagney's is a bad meal it's just that paying the up charge on top you expect a good steak.   You don't expect a Ponderosa meal.   I feel like the downgrades in the entire meal at Cagney's makes it really hard to want to go back.   NCL isn't going to be able to justify all the additional uncharges in Specialty Dining while at the same time reducing the quality.

Ive been around NCL a long time.   Even way back when the food was great, then the decade or so when the food was terrible, really terrible....this is when the term "subjective" was born relating to NCL food.    "subjective" is the term used for when the food has downgraded so significantly that it legitimately sucks.    We've been thru those years with NCL.    Fortunately we are no where near those terrible years with Cagney's steaks or any of the other food.    The food is really still good but it is reaching a point between the increased uncharge and the downgrade the food that it makes you re-consider Specialty Dining across the board.

I also think the Teppanyaki needs a big upgrade across NCL.   The NCL product doesn't compare even to a strip mall teppanyaki restaurant on land.   Certainly not the high end meal that it used to be on the ships.   I know it's still popular but it's just not the product worthy of the high uncharge any longer.   It needs a big re-vamp and improvement too.

Edited by Vyhanek
Reason?...I need a reason to edit?! wth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

The new addition 18 oz Angus T-bone is available at Cagney's, Cucina and Le Bistro.  On a crew challenge I ordered it and must say it was very flavorful with the grilled marks giving that taste.

I also ordered an excellent filet at La Cucina.  The green peppercorn sauce with it (fortunately on the side) was way too salty and I did mention that but the steak itself was tender, not stringy or gristly and done perfectly (rare as requested).

Heard many good comments on the new t-bone.  At our table one guy had the prime rib (didn't it disappear from the menu at some point and reappear?)  and raved about it.  At that dinner I chose the surf & turf as the lobster tail has reemerged and both filet and tail were very good.  BTW, the SDP covers that choice.

My forever favorite at Cagney's is the lamb chops and I got a nice rack of them but they had a lot of gristle.  

Had not been to Cagney's for several cruises but on the Dawn B2B made it there 3x.  Thought the ahi tuna appetizer (like cubed poke) was really good.  The OMG cheesecake is nice! 

I had the T-bone on the Sun last week, it was very good.  It was an insert to the Cagney's menu and the waiter recommended it as the best steak they serve.

Not sure if the OMG cheesecake is what I had, but it was sea salt caramel cheesecake and was excellent!

Edited by Mike_DeA

These are disappointing comments. We are on the Epic in a few weeks and have at least 7 specialty dinners out of 16 nights. When we were on the Epic 4 years ago Cagney’s was our favorite. The food at Le Bistro was good, but I hate all the noise from the atrium. Will never understand why they didn’t put doors on Le Bistro. Guess we’ll stay away from the filet. 

The 8 oz filet is now $42, including tip, that NCL pockets.  The prices in Cagney's are ridiculously high now and the quality is taking a nosedive.  Pretty much the same thing in all the specialty restaurants these days.  I guess with the free SDP and ignorant orange card holders, NCL is making a slick buck.

• Like 1