Cruise Critic Community
mayabee

Royal Caribbean or Celebrity?

I’m looking for advice and recommendations for Australia & New Zealand cruises in December. We have narrowed it down to Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. There will be four adults and two kids (both will be around 12 months old). What's the weather like in December? Did the cruise feel too long? We’ve never done more than a nine day cruise and that was before children.  Also, which cruise is more kid friendly?  We've sailed on RC before, but never tried Celebrity. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic mayabee 😀

You might be better asking the which cruise is best question in the Australia & New Zealand Cruisers forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

But I will give you a little bit of info about New Zealand:

The weather in New Zealand in December ( I use to live in NZ), is normally unsettled, and you could and can get rain or it could be nice and sunny.

Also the temperature in New Zealand can be all over the show in December, with the south Island still been cool/cold while the North Island could be warmer or it could be the other way around!

Australia will be a bit warmer then New Zealand, but they could also be a bit wet or a mix bag.

I would be prepared for all weathers, from rain, to cool weather.

Also if the weather gets very windy / stormy don't be surprised if you miss a port or two.

Royal Caribbean has more activities/family things (though 12 months old are a bit young for those), whereas Celebrity is more sedate. That's the main difference and probably the best thing to help you choose, if everything else (itinerary, price, timing) is similar.

Posted (edited)

12 months old is a bit young, but shouldn’t be a problem.

Royal Caribbean has good child care called adventure ocean . You can leave the kids there and go see a show.

I’d suggest ovation,has a massive adventure ocean.

I love the longer cruises,especially NZ.

Most people with young ones like to feed them in the cabin,where it’s peaceful.Both charged for room service .So try to get a cabin close to the buffet and one of you can whip up and get something for them.Take some plastic containers so you can have some snacks in the fridge.

Edited by Chiliburn

I would check with both cruise lines what facilities are available for child minding of twelve month old babies before you make a decision on cruise line. 

I personally think cruising with a twelve month old baby is no holiday for the parents.  At that age, I would consider an island holiday, such as Fiji/Cook Islands, where the staff love looking after babies.