Cruise Critic Community
LLeon

Fairsky to Fairstar Help needed please

Hi Brainstrust,

I was booked on the Fairsky for a cruise in June/July 1977. As we all know she was put out of commission

in June 1977 thanks to a wreck. I was transferred to the Fairstar as a replacement cruise in July 1977 from

memory. Does anyone know which was the cruise info for that cruise? If you have any info on dates, destinations or

length of cruise it would be most helpful. 

I'm afraid like many passengers on that cruise it's all a bit fuzzy and I didn't keep any memorabilia to jog the memory.

Over to you guys.....

Thanks,

Leon 

I hope you receive some responses to your post.  I don't recall Fairstar having sailed in North American waters.  Fairwind and Fairsea as well as a newer vessel called Fairsky did sail in North American waters.  Fairsky did have some engine difficulties, as I recall, but I don't remember the time frame.

I see you are a new member to Cruise Critic.  Welcome!

Posted (edited)

RKA is correct.  Fairwind and Fairsea were the two ships in American service in 1977.  Fairsky did not appear until the 1984...and was sold to Princess when Princess bought Sitmar in 1988 and was renamed Sky Princess.  I believe Leon was transferred from Fairwind to Fairsea or vice versa.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RKA is correct.  Fairwind and Fairsea were the two ships in American service in 1977.  Fairsky did not appear until the 1984...and was sold to Princess when Princess bought Sitmar in 1988 and was renamed Sky Princess.  I believe Leon was transferred from Fairwind to Fairsea or vice versa.  

This is the best news I have had all day!  My memory is still intact!  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is the best news I have had all day!  My memory is still intact!  Thanks!

LOL LOL LOL!

Hi Rkacruiser and cgtnormandie,

Thanks you for your replies.

The Fairsky and Fairstar worked mainly out of Sydney Australia doing booze cruises of the South Pacific. I don't think either of them worked any of the American ports. The Fairsky had an incident with a submerged wreck which holed it and rendered it uneconomical to repair.

I was booked on the next cruise of the Fairsky so I was moved (along with all the other bookings) to the Fairstar's cruise to the South Pacific in July/August 1977. Needing the info on that cruise if anyone can find it??

Thanks,

Leon

Thank you for the welcome too.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:15 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Related, but does not address your question...I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

Ahh, I am showing my age!  I hope you find all you seek regarding your request.

Have a blessed evening,

Marne

On 10/8/2019 at 1:03 AM, marne001 said:

I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

A bit of envy on my part because when Sitmar introduced her, I was very interested and hoped to sail on her.  As Sky Princess, her schedule and my schedule never intersected and I lost that opportunity.  

On 10/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, LLeon said:

Hi Rkacruiser and cgtnormandie,

Thanks you for your replies.

The Fairsky and Fairstar worked mainly out of Sydney Australia doing booze cruises of the South Pacific. I don't think either of them worked any of the American ports. The Fairsky had an incident with a submerged wreck which holed it and rendered it uneconomical to repair.

I was booked on the next cruise of the Fairsky so I was moved (along with all the other bookings) to the Fairstar's cruise to the South Pacific in July/August 1977. Needing the info on that cruise if anyone can find it??

Thanks,

Leon

Thank you for the welcome too.

Mystery solved Leon!  You were in Australia!!  The Fairsky I and Fairstar were the lesser of the Sitmar fleet.  I believe they were employed as migrant transports from UK to Australia and subsequently went into cruising.  

On 10/8/2019 at 1:03 AM, marne001 said:

Related, but does not address your question...I was on the Sky Princess in 1990 and it was wonderful.  A true ocean liner experience and the last steam ship operated under Princess in North America.

Ahh, I am showing my age!  I hope you find all you seek regarding your request.

Have a blessed evening,

Marne

Hi Marne,

You were on the Fairsky II which was a new ship when you sailed on her...and was later sold to Princess.  

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Mystery solved Leon!  You were in Australia!!  The Fairsky I and Fairstar were the lesser of the Sitmar fleet.  I believe they were employed as migrant transports from UK to Australia and subsequently went into cruising.  

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Marne,

You were on the Fairsky II which was a new ship when you sailed on her...and was later sold to Princess.  

Great research CGTNORMANDIE!  I never knew that there had been a Fairsky I.  Thanks for the information!