Cruise Critic Community
abpplh

Camera suggestions for cruise

I have already posted this in the Camera Board but was looking for fellow RCCL passenger feedback.  We will be on the Adventure in December.  I am looking for a digital camera that is waterproof and takes decent indoor photos.  Not looking to break the bank as it is for my 9 yr old.  Appreciate any feedback fellow cruisers can give me.

Thanks in advance!

iphone in a ziplock bag?

The people on the camera board can probably give much better ideas.

I picked up a Canon D30 from Amazon for cruising.

Waterproof to something like 30 meters.  Also shock proof.

It takes good pictures.

I got a floating strap, so if I let go in the water, it floats.

Posted (edited)

@SRF  - does it take pretty good indoor pics too?  That model seems to be discontinued.

Edited by abpplh
added on to post

Following.  Our kids are asking for a waterproof digital camera for our upcoming cruise.  We don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on it but would like fairly good quality. 

I too got a Canon underwater camera that took great inside pics as well.

If you kids have a cell phone, I would also suggest buying a lifeproof case for it and then you get everything in one!

I bought an Olympus TG-5 ladt Spring. It is rated the most rugged at the under $400 level. Takes beautiful pics above and below water. I think the TG-6 may be out now. 

My son's GoPro Hero5 Black took much better videos on the same snorkel trip, and is slightly cheaper (but add-ons and extra battery are expensive). Its forte is videos, not stills, from what I understand. The learning curve may be easier but the controls are not intuitive.

I recommend putting two float straps on if you get a heavier camera. My first time out, my wife asked why my camera was floating away--one float became detached but the other one worked.

Also, buy a lens cover if you get the Olympus. The lens glass is exposed and can get scratched.

Make sure you always rinse the camera in fresh water after it is underwater, but DO NOT OPEN the battery or SD card door until it has been wiped dry. The one thing an underwater camera is not warranted against is water damage. Go figure (and read the 1-star reviews of a bunch of them on Amazon).  This is the one purchase where a 3rd party damage policy is necessary--Amazon's covers "liquid" damage.

You can also buy cheaper ones from both companies. I think there is an Olympus in the 130 range, but it didn't meet my desires for adjustable settings or telephoto.

I recently saw someone talking about a GoPro knock-off camera at Costco for under $40.  I know nothing about it.  Assuming it takes decent images, it might be a good option for a 9 yo.  

Otherwise I think I would do a search on one or more camera sites for underwater point and shoot cameras.  Stick with a name brand and you should be good. 

Cellphone or if you want good underwater pictures, pick something up on board.  They usually have good deals.  Have a great trip.

I have a bright yellow Fuji XP, good to 33 ft. waterproof, and 5 ft. shock proof, also dust proof and freeze proof to 14F.  It takes very good pictures indoors and out with a 5X wide optical zoom.  It was under $100 and comes with a great little case.  The only con I have, if you drop it in the water, it will sink, so I'm getting a floating strap for it.  Hope your son has fun picture taking!

2 hours ago, Noodles84 said:

I have a bright yellow Fuji XP, good to 33 ft. waterproof, and 5 ft. shock proof, also dust proof and freeze proof to 14F.  It takes very good pictures indoors and out with a 5X wide optical zoom.  It was under $100 and comes with a great little case.  The only con I have, if you drop it in the water, it will sink, so I'm getting a floating strap for it.  Hope your son has fun picture taking!

Sounds like a good one for the OP's son.  

Fuji XP130 is a nice camera  for around $150.  The Panasonic TS30 is also good right around $120  

Both will fill the bill for a 9-year-old and won't hurt your wallet too much.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, abpplh said:

@SRF  - does it take pretty good indoor pics too?  That model seems to be discontinued.

I haven't done many indoor, but it seems fine.

OK, it is the Powershot D30, it is still listed on the Canon site, but not available through them. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras/waterproof-cameras/powershot-d30

I am sure that Canon will be coming out with a replacement.

If not the Canon, any of the top brands would be fine (Nikon, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Olympus).  I would stick with one of the known camera companies.

I am a Canon person (I probably have 10+ Canon cameras and MANY lenses). 

On 10/3/2019 at 6:48 AM, SRF said:

I picked up a Canon D30 from Amazon for cruising.

Waterproof to something like 30 meters.  Also shock proof.

It takes good pictures.

I got a floating strap, so if I let go in the water, it floats.

Good point.  Many people realize too late that underwater cameras generally do not float.  

DON

Posted (edited)

I have a FujiFilm XP-10 that would be a perfect option.  I'm sure it's a different model new these days as I bought mine off a friend in 2014 for $50 (she only bought it for snorkeling in the Galapagos).  I'd look on Amazon, or even eBay for something like that. 

If you have a locally owned camera shop, you could ask them to call you if someone is trying to sell or trade in a camera that fits your requirements.  They'll mark it up a bit, but you'll know it works, and usually they'll give you a short warranty.

Edited by ducklite

There are several still cameras rated to shallow depths, i.e. well under 100 meters, and a nine-year-old isn't going scuba diving.

If you are thinking about the Go Pro sort of camera, you can look at the Intova cameras as well.  Cheaper than Go Pro and do the same things.  Waterproof to far deeper than a nine-year-old is going to do, but they do do videos primarily and kids tend to like that as it will record all manner of activities.

If you have a more modern iPhone and it hasn't been repaired, dropped probably good for kid.   They do sell them < 100 buck plastic things for phones that aren't waterpoof.

To bhe honest if you buy a custom camera it will be expensive and offer very marginal advantage, the biggest one is the lens focal length, but for waterproof camera they are mostly limited range zoom.   Phones iterate their designs and chips and have much larger volume to amortize their R&D so in the past 10 years they've killed the P&S and most of the DSLR too, they are that good now with the last two generation of phones from Apple or any other major manufacture, they are as good to better and allow quick seemless transfer of pictures, sometimes all the camera companies have failed.