Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tomservo

Pinnacle Perks - will Royal keep them in the long run?

Recommended Posts

OP, you can get to P faster by booking JS as a solo. You get triple points for that. Twice I've even booked DH as a solo in an interior but he stayed with me (just get an extra key from GS). I did tell the cabin steward that nobody would be staying there...unless of course, DH needed to be sent to the doghouse for a time out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So there is hope of pinnacle after all.  🤣

 

I am not sure I can convince DW that cruising is a hobby lifestyle though.

 

jc

 

All kinds of lifestyles 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting to me that someone would actually set a goal to reach Pinnacle from the start.  There is no reason not to, but the number is so high with 1 point per night, unless you cruise solo or book suites. My husband and I are at 163 points now and with a cruise in May of 2020, we will reach 170. A future 7 night cruise will put us over the 175 mark for Diamond Plus, but it would not be in effect until the next cruise after it.  I plan to continue to cruise for all the reasons I love cruises,  but not for points. More power to the poster, though, if he is serious about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Let's see how the 50th birthday cruise plays out. After that I guess it will be Anthem and Allure TA's followed by Odyssey 

Very interested to see how it works this year over last year. I’ve heard reports of over 300+ Pinnacles going to be onboard. Do you have any info on the projected numbers?  I don’t know any Suite Guest from last year who is sailing this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

How do you know that the vouchers have not reduced lounge usage? It could be even worse!  😉 

You could be right. Maybe Royal needs to do what Celebrity has done.  During their Captain’s Club Cocktail hours, you can get unlimited drinks from the CC menu at any bar as well as the lounge CC is being held in. But they also have shorter hours than Royal.

 

Sherri🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Very interested to see how it works this year over last year. I’ve heard reports of over 300+ Pinnacles going to be onboard. Do you have any info on the projected numbers?  I don’t know any Suite Guest from last year who is sailing this year. 

 

I think I read 247 so far, but lots of time and cabins left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

When cruising switches from a vacation to a hobby/lifestyle,  the points rack up fast 

 

We went from 350 to 1050 in 3 and a half years

My husband tells friends and family that cruising is my hobby, we’ve been doing around 8 to 10 each year. We will never get to Pinnacle as we enjoy cruising together so no double solo points, I’m too cheap to book a suite, and about half of our cruises each year are on Celebrity.  We are over 500 points now but happy being d+.

 

Sherri🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

To the OP, what in life do you expect to be the same 20 years from now as it is today?

Lots of things stay static in 20-30 year increments. When were low fat diets introduced, 70's-80's? It's been 40+ years since then, and even with tons of evidence to the contrary over the last 10-20 years the idea is still prevalent.

 

The main question I'm asking is whether or not the Pinnacle perks are feasible or sustainable in the next 10-20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

When cruising switches from a vacation to a hobby/lifestyle,  the points rack up fast 

 

We went from 350 to 1050 in 3 and a half years

 

Wow!! Don't you get a free Jr suite at 1400 or something? Do you cruise other lines or only RCI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

I think I read 247 so far, but lots of time and cabins left

Yes. Lots of cabins and lots of Suites available last I checked. Something like 8 CLS last week and more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KansasK said:

It is interesting to me that someone would actually set a goal to reach Pinnacle from the start.  There is no reason not to, but the number is so high with 1 point per night, unless you cruise solo or book suites. My husband and I are at 163 points now and with a cruise in May of 2020, we will reach 170. A future 7 night cruise will put us over the 175 mark for Diamond Plus, but it would not be in effect until the next cruise after it.  I plan to continue to cruise for all the reasons I love cruises,  but not for points. More power to the poster, though, if he is serious about this. 

 

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding parts of my post, or I'm not explaining it correctly. I'm not saying that I will work tirelessly and only sail on RCI to achieve Pinnacle status, and that's my main and only goal. All I was trying to say was that if at some point down the line decades from now I hit 700 nights with any one cruise line, it might make more sense to go with the one with the best top tier perks, thereby giving a *slight* advantage to RCI for future bookings. Right now I'm more inclined to book with NCL, but if I found 2 itineraries that were similar on similar ships with similar prices, I would give the tiebreaker to RCI. The other half of my question was whether or not the Pinnacle perks will be as attractive 20 years from now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big problem with Diamond Lounges getting overcrowded, is too many people that have not earned their own points from cruising.  Those over 18 that may have only been on one or two cruises earned their parent's points and keep their instant diamond status.  They marry and have kids and they get the same status, and it goes on and on, even if they remarry, it still goes on.  That's a lot of people, that could have earned the status, from one person, sailing on one cruise.  Those over 18 should go back to the points they actually earned, once they reach their 18th birthday.  If they did this, they should raise the age to 21 or 22.  The average age of a child out of school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, island lady said:

 

Oh boy...bring on the popcorn.  🤪

I'll have a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Noticed your photo has changed,I hope your lovely cat is okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

I think you are right.  On our recent Harmony B2B, the first week had over 1000 diamonds, 500 D+ and 50 pinnacles.  The diamond lounge was packed each night, overflow was in the jazz club and it, too, was packed  until about 730.  Numbers must have been down the 2nd week as it was possible to find an empty seat in the lounge around 7pm but we did not attend the top tier event so have no idea what totals were.  We noticed quite a few pinnacle pins in the diamond lounge and wondered if the suite lounge was overcrowded.

 

As the numbers continue to grow, I think Royal is going to have to change the perks. Giving the 3 drink vouchers has not decreased overcrowding in the lounges and I don’t see Royal being willing to continue opening areas for overflow that could be used to generate revenue.

 

Sherri🙂

I think the answer is to give Diamond's up to 4 drinks and 1 speciality coffee to use any time of day and any unused carried forward to the next day.

Diamond+ get 5 drinks and 2 speciality coffees any time of day and any unused carried forward also.

Pinnacles get a new loyalty lounge.

Suite guests get a dedicated Suite Lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomservo said:

 

Wow!! Don't you get a free Jr suite at 1400 or something? Do you cruise other lines or only RCI?

 

1050 was a free balcony, we just took it this August. JS at 1400. We should earn that by the end of 2021. 

Really need to slow down though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Very interested to see how it works this year over last year. I’ve heard reports of over 300+ Pinnacles going to be onboard. Do you have any info on the projected numbers?  I don’t know any Suite Guest from last year who is sailing this year. 

I wouldn't book a Suite for this sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grapau27 said:

I think the answer is to give Diamond's up to 4 drinks and 1 speciality coffee to use any time of day and any unused carried forward to the next day.

Diamond+ get 5 drinks and 2 speciality coffees any time of day and any unused carried forward also.

Pinnacles get a new loyalty lounge.

Suite guests get a dedicated Suite Lounge.

I believe the separation of Suites Guests and Pinnacles is a GREAT idea. 

 

What would you suggest for the SL/CK situation on Oasis Class ships?  Celebrity, doesn’t mix top tiers with Suites. Suites have their own dining area. Pinnacles have been spoiled with CK access (so have Suites). Not to mention the unlimited FREE beer and wine access 11-11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe the separation of Suites Guests and Pinnacles is a GREAT idea. 

 

What would you suggest for the SL/CK situation on Oasis Class ships?  Celebrity, doesn’t mix top tiers with Suites. Suites have their own dining area. Pinnacles have been spoiled with CK access (so have Suites). Not to mention the unlimited FREE beer and wine access 11-11. 

Pinnacles would get free access to a speciality restaurant rather than CK.

Pinnacles could have 6 free drinks in any bar plus their own loyalty lounge and 3 speciality coffees any time of day and any unused to be carried over to the next day.

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have wondered if it’s in a cruise lines best interest to reduce elite benefits. I mean if you have one room left to sell, wouldn’t you rather fill it with a newbe who is more likely to spend on “the new” be it casinos, excursions, dining rather than the jaded elite who has done  it in the past and brags of not spending on board. It might be in the lines best interest to in effect “fire” this elite as a customer. Thoughts?

Edited by MrMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrMan said:

I have wondered if it’s in a cruise lines best interest to reduce elite benefits. I mean if you have one room left to sell, wouldn’t you rather fill it with a newbe who is more likely to spend on “the new” be it casinos, excursions, dining rather than the jaded elite who has done  it in the past and brags of not spending on board. It might be in the lines best interest to in effect “fire” this elite as a customer. Thoughts?

They are still getting the sale of the cabin.

Get better products in shops to sell and enhance further the specialy restaurants to encourage people to book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gaylemh said:

The big problem with Diamond Lounges getting overcrowded, is too many people that have not earned their own points from cruising.  Those over 18 that may have only been on one or two cruises earned their parent's points and keep their instant diamond status.  They marry and have kids and they get the same status, and it goes on and on, even if they remarry, it still goes on.  That's a lot of people, that could have earned the status, from one person, sailing on one cruise.  Those over 18 should go back to the points they actually earned, once they reach their 18th birthday.  If they did this, they should raise the age to 21 or 22.  The average age of a child out of school.

 

But those instant Diamonds probably won't be turning Pinnacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pinnacles would get free access to a speciality restaurant rather than CK.

Pinnacles could have 6 free drinks in any bar plus their own loyalty lounge and 3 speciality coffees any time of day and any unused to be carried over to the next day.

 

What's with all the carryover. That idea is likely DOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe the separation of Suites Guests and Pinnacles is a GREAT idea. 

 

What would you suggest for the SL/CK situation on Oasis Class ships?  Celebrity, doesn’t mix top tiers with Suites. Suites have their own dining area. Pinnacles have been spoiled with CK access (so have Suites). Not to mention the unlimited FREE beer and wine access 11-11. 

 

Limit the visits to CK, but they would need to go back to the original 2 menu set up. I'm certain that Royal never expected Suite or Pinnacle passengers to eat every single meal in Coastal Kitchen. It was just supposed to be an extension of Dynamic Dining.

 

Even on a busy day onboard, the wine and beer time aren't overloaded. It just makes a nice place to have lunch and hang out.

SL is only a zoo between 4 and 8

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Perks always change. Depending on who you speak with some change is bad, some change is good. 

 

For the most part,  I've found most changes to the C& A program to be positive.

Glad you have. I have seen nothing but diminishing perks one way or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

 

What's with all the carryover. That idea is likely DOA

It is all about making an alternative to the unlimited drinks in the overcrowded DL.

Some people might have 3 drinks one day but might have 5 or 6 the next day so the carried over makes the perk more attractive and you don't lose out for not using your allowance the previous day.

We would be happy with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...