Martinique passport required

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

Not that it's any great loss, but there are new requirements.

Officials in Martinique have informed us that all cruise visitors must have a valid passport in order to go ashore.

https://cruiseradio.net/a-passport-is-now-required-to-visit-this-caribbean-island/

46 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Interesting, was not aware of that.  Thanks for posting.  Wonder if any other Caribbean islands will follow suit.

Martinique is not an independent country. It's an overseas department of France, as is Guadeloupe, which I've seen elsewhere as adopting the same passport requirement.  It's a unique situation and I wouldn't expect any other island to be doing this. I suspect it was a decision made by France, not Martinique and Guadeloupe, because they aren't self-governing. Martinique and Guadeloupe are actually part of the EU.

Martinique and Guadeloupe were never part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which permits US citizens on certain cruises to travel without a passport. Presumably until now it was allowed because of an informal agreement.

Not many Royal Caribbean cruisers will be affected by this requirement as there are only about a dozen port calls in Martinique scheduled for Royal Caribbean ships through the end of 2021, all on Southern Caribbean cruises departing from San Juan. Royal has no port calls scheduled for Guadeloupe.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Martinique is not an independent country. It's an overseas department of France, as is Guadeloupe, which I've seen elsewhere as adopting the same passport requirement.  It's a unique situation and I wouldn't expect any other island to be doing this. I suspect it was a decision made by France, not Martinique and Guadeloupe, because they aren't self-governing. Martinique and Guadeloupe are actually part of the EU.

Martinique and Guadeloupe were never part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which permits US citizens on certain cruises to travel without a passport. Presumably until now it was allowed because of an informal agreement.

Not many Royal Caribbean cruisers will be affected by this requirement as there are only about a dozen port calls in Martinique scheduled for Royal Caribbean ships through the end of 2021, all on Southern Caribbean cruises departing from San Juan. Royal has no port calls scheduled for Guadeloupe.

Interesting that other Caribbean islands which are territories of EU nations, which are many don't adopt this policy..

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Interesting that other Caribbean islands which are territories of EU nations, which are many don't adopt this policy..

The other Caribbean islands are no longer territories of EU countries and have far greater degrees of self governance, essentially making them independent nations. While many of them still retain a relationship to the countries that formerly ruled them...for example they may be represented in foreign affairs by the former ruling countries, and there still may be a "governor" appointed from Europe and they may recognize any monarch if the former ruling country has one, they are not at all comparable to the French West Indies islands, Martinique, Guadeloupe and St. Martin.

Guadeloupe and Martinique are actual French departments . The euro is their currency, they are considered an outermost region of the EU, their residents are citizens of France and have full French political and legal rights. Saint Martin, while also part of the EU has a slightly different status as an overseas collectivity of France, which makes it semi-autonomous. Guadeloupe, Martinique and St. Martin are the only Caribbean islands that are outermost regions of the EU, not any of the other Caribbean islands that were once territories of European countries.

My only surprise is that passports aren't a basic requirement of cruising like they are for air travel.  Still trying to figure out why the cruise industry is getting this pass versus the airline industry.

Any day that pass will be revoked.  It's just a matter of time.    

8 hours ago, twangster said:

My only surprise is that passports aren't a basic requirement of cruising like they are for air travel.  Still trying to figure out why the cruise industry is getting this pass versus the airline industry.

Any day that pass will be revoked.  It's just a matter of time.    

Very simply, there are thee reasons why cruising has an exception.

1. DHS has determined that US citizens on closed loop cruises are not a security risk.

2. The Caribbean island nations, Canada, and Mexico agree they are not a security risk, coupled with the fact that many Caribbean islands' economies are heavily dependent on tourism and want to make it as easy as possible for US cruisers to visit their islands.

3. The cruise lines themselves want to make it as easy as possible for people who are not regular international travelers and therefore don't have a passport to avail themselves of the cruising product and have successfully lobbied for the exception.

There is not one iota of evidence that this exception will be eliminated. It's been in effect for more than a decade and there hasn't been a single indication the US government wants to change it. Let's not forget that it wasn't that many years ago when you also could fly to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean without a passport. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Very simply, there are thee reasons why cruising has an exception.

1. DHS has determined that US citizens on closed loop cruises are not a security risk.

2. The Caribbean island nations, Canada, and Mexico agree they are not a security risk, coupled with the fact that many Caribbean islands' economies are heavily dependent on tourism and want to make it as easy as possible for US cruisers to visit their islands.

3. The cruise lines themselves want to make it as easy as possible for people who are not regular international travelers and therefore don't have a passport to avail themselves of the cruising product and have successfully lobbied for the exception.

There is not one iota of evidence that this exception will be eliminated. It's been in effect for more than a decade and there hasn't been a single indication the US government wants to change it. Let's not forget that it wasn't that many years ago when you also could fly to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean without a passport. 

So a US citizen on a cruise isn't a security risk but a US citizen driving to see Niagara Falls for a few hours is?

Caribbean Islands don't set DHS policy.  The last thing DHS has on it's mind is the well being of Caribbean nations.

As you noted it wasn't that long ago that a passport to drive to Canada and back wasn't needed,  but now a passport is required to drive to Canada. 

A cruise would be a simple way to slip a bad hombre into the country.  Fake family goes on a cruise,  one bad hombre changes places with someone who looks very similar at any port of call and arrives back into the US with only a DL, BC and fake family as cover.  

It's just a matter of time before passports are required to cruise, just like driving to Canada.  Tens of thousands drive across the Canadian border daily, all with passports.  It might not be next year or the year after that, but at some point for cruising convenience won't trump security as it does today.

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's just a matter of time before passports are required to cruise, just like driving to Canada.  Tens of thousands drive across the Canadian border daily, all with passports.  It might not be next year or the year after that, but at some point for cruising convenience won't trump security as it does today.

I am praying for sooner rather than later 

Cruises to Alaska that begin or end in Seattle do not require a passport.  

Cruises to Alaska that begin or end in Canada require a passport.  No escaping it.   

Somehow the latter execute just fine and everyone deals with it.   

You are visiting a foreign country and then returning to your country of citizenship.   I really don't understand why obtaining a passport is such hardship for so many.  

Edited by twangster
1 hour ago, twangster said:

So a US citizen on a cruise isn't a security risk but a US citizen driving to see Niagara Falls for a few hours is?

The ID requirements for crossing the border to Canada are similar to those for a closed-loop Alaska (apparently some Alaska excursions REQUIRE a passport though) or Caribbean cruise.  You'll need a passport, passport card, realID ID-compliant DL  or enhanced DL to cross into Canada to get the view from that side. So, no, someone driving to Canada to see Niagara Falls for a few hours is NOT more of a security risk than someone on a closed-loop cruise.

I have an enhanced DL from my state (NY).  When I cruised from LA to Vancouver (Canada), if I booked a flight from Seattle instead of Vancouver I could have made my trip without taking my passport as the enhanced DL is sufficient to cross the border to/from Canada on land or at seaport entry.  Since I booked my flight from Vancouver I needed my passport for entry to the US by air.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

The ID requirements for crossing the border to Canada are similar to those for a closed-loop Alaska (apparently some Alaska excursions REQUIRE a passport though) or Caribbean cruise.  You'll need a passport, passport card, realID ID-compliant DL  or enhanced DL to cross into Canada to get the view from that side. So, no, someone driving to Canada to see Niagara Falls for a few hours is NOT more of a security risk than someone on a closed-loop cruise.

REAL ID is not sufficient to travel to Canada.  Otherewise, there would be no EDL.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Caribbean Islands don't set DHS policy.  The last thing DHS has on it's mind is the well being of Caribbean nations.

WHTI is a DHS program.

DHS wanted this, as it lowers their load in dealing with cruises.

A cruise would be a simple way to slip a bad hombre into the country.  Fake family goes on a cruise,  one bad hombre changes places with someone who looks very similar at any port of call and arrives back into the US with only a DL, BC and fake family as cover.  

Maybe after the wall is up. Otherwise, it is easier and cheaper to just have them come across the southern border.

Or, unless they are already a known bad person, just enter legally.

Edited by SRF

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

DHS wanted this, as it lowers their load in dealing with cruises.

Passports simplify processing of passengers returning to the country.  

Guests using DL/BC often have much longer face time with agents upon their return. 

Why does DHS not want people to use passports?

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I am praying for sooner rather than later 

Me too!

Can you imagine we won't have all these discussions "Do I have to have a passport"? 🙂

Once in 10 years 100+ dollars (once in 5 for kids) shouldn't be a problem for cruise passengers.

Edited by Tatka
25 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@FLACRUISER99 The passport/visa requirements are listed here on the tourism section of the website:

https://www.martinique.org/experience/informations-pratiques

Don't need Visa

Passengers requiring a visa must hold one of the following:

• a currently valid Schengen visa, regardless of the terms of the visa and the issuing country
  • a valid visa for the United States
  • a currently valid residence permit issued by a member state of the European Union, the European Economic Area, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco or San Marino
  • or a currently valid residence permit issued by Canada, Japan, or the United States of America
Need Visa

Passengers with the following nationalities may enter Martinique without a visa:

• Citizens of the European Economic Community
  • Citizens of the United States
  • Citizens of Canada
  • Citizens of Japan

For passengers not fulfilling the above requirements, a visa waiver (special authorization) can be issued in their favor by the Prefecture of Martinique (French Government Administrative Office). To that end, a separate list with full details (names, dates of birth, passport numbers etc.) as well as the copies of related passports, will must be sent to the Prefecture 48 hours prior to ship’s arrival by the designated ship’s agency. If the list is received after this 48 hours delay, the passengers concerned must stay on board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After reading this in English, I believe that what will happen is that Royal will require (Celebrity/Royal both) you to present your passport to Guests Services to do the check and submit this information to Martinique within their 48 hour guideline.  Once completed they will let you know to come back to retrieve your passport.  This happens when you are sailing into the French Polynesia islands on Transpacific sailings.

Edited by Plum Happy
16 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Me too!

Can you imagine we won't have all these discussions "Do I have to have a passport"? 🙂

Once in 10 years 100+ dollars (once in 5 for kids) shouldn't be a problem for cruise passengers.

I too hope the rules change to where a passport us required to cruise out of the US.  We are the only country, I believe, where a passport is not required for such travel.

Having said that I can see why the cruise lines are hesitant to let it happen.  If you have a family of 4 that does not have passports you have just raised the cost of that cruise by close to $500 In order for them to get passports.  For some that extra expense, and time to get the passports for the kids, puts the cruise out of reach which is now a lost customer to the cruise line.  One day it will change but I fear it will be a while.