Cruise Critic Community
sexyaznboy

Would you take this upsell?

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, I'm booked into an obstructed balcony on Regal Princess and just got an email to a minisuite for 199US/289CDN (I'm Canadian so it would be the latter).  I never have been in a minisuite before but I don't want to get used to being spoiled😂 .Would you guys take the offer?

Edited by sexyaznboy

first off ... is this a 7 day in December ? ... or other

If total for the cabin would probably take it but two things you are not telling us

How long is the cruise and is this the total extra cost or per person?

Hey there, yes 7 day Caribbean in December.  The minisuites go far way more than that amount so on paper its a good deal.

Just now, Micahs Grandad said:

If total for the cabin would probably take it but two things you are not telling us

How long is the cruise and is this the total extra cost or per person?

I mentioned, 289 CDN per person.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, sexyaznboy said:

Hey everyone, I'm booked into an obstructed balcony on Regal Princess and just got an email to a minisuite for 199US/289CDN (I'm Canadian so it would be the latter).  I never have been in a minisuite before but I don't want to get used to being spoiled😂 .Would you guys take the offer?

Read the fine print on the upsell offer re: Canadian $$ quotes.  I suspect you will pay even less - here's what mine said last week: 

*CAD pricing is an estimate only as exchange rates vary. Actual CAD pricing is based on the exchange rate used at the time the booking was originally made. Speak to an Upgrade agent at the number listed above for actual pricing.

Edited to add that if  you're interested in taking the offer, call right away because they usually have a limited number of upsells available and they send out more offers than they have cabins available.

Edited by azbirdmom

23 minutes ago, sexyaznboy said:

17 minutes ago, sexyaznboy said:

I mentioned, 289 CDN per person.

No you didn't say it was per person.  That would be too much for me to take the upsell.  

Just now, vjblk said:

No you didn't say it was per person.  That would be too much for me to take the upsell.  

Oops sorry you are right, its per person.  Thanks for your opinion!

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Read the fine print on the upsell offer re: Canadian $$ quotes.  I suspect you will pay even less - here's what mine said last week: 

*CAD pricing is an estimate only as exchange rates vary. Actual CAD pricing is based on the exchange rate used at the time the booking was originally made. Speak to an Upgrade agent at the number listed above for actual pricing.

Edited to add that if  you're interested in taking the offer, call right away because they usually have a limited number of upsells available and they send out more offers than they have cabins available.

Thanks for pointing that out to me!

I wouldn't take it at that price but you may like it. It's $82.57 a day extra for a regular Mini. If it was club class it would be a better deal. 

2 minutes ago, sexyaznboy said:

Oops sorry you are right, its per person.  Thanks for your opinion!

how much is the current price difference in your OB and the mini ?

and how important is the shower/tub combo to you ... along with "extra" sitting space

I'd pass but that's just me. Only you can decide if it's worthwhile to you.

I would take it for the extra space in the room and the shower/tub combo. If you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room, than it may not be worth it. The extra space in the bathroom may spoil you completely.

I would pass however we did take an upgrade to a mini suite from a regular balcony. That was for a 19 day cruise and it came out to about $12 a day for each of us.  We decided that since it was a very long cruise we would have more time to enjoy the cabin. We did. 

It is your decision if you think you will spend that extra time in the cabin or not.

Thanks for everyone’s opinion. The price online is about 650 more per person over what I’m paying now so it is a good deal' however, I may have better things to do with the 400 dollars ☺️

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sexyaznboy said:

Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Yes, go by the USD price.  I have no idea why Princess is sending these notices out with a CAD rate of 1.45.  Totally ridiculous when their current rate is 1.30 and CAD has not been near 1.45 for years.  IDK why they cannot be accurate.  Either make sure they are going to charge you the correct USD rate (what you booked under) or insist on paying in USD.

ETA:  As @cruzsnooze pointed out, it could be a great deal if a Club Class Mini.  Why not ask them and then if not see if you can get a CC Mini for same price?  $200/pp is just under $30/pp/day and I would put a value on having CC dining perk.

Edited by steelers36

We had this very same upsell offer a few weeks ago (though ours was from a regular balcony to a Mini) Turned it down right away, to us, not worth the extra $300 per person.

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

We had this very same upsell offer a few weeks ago (though ours was from a regular balcony to a Mini) Turned it down right away, to us, not worth the extra $300 per person.

Yes, we did, too, bout ours was $199 per person.  Not interested in paying $400 for it.

I wouldn't take this one. It might be worth it to you, but it wouldn't be to me.

I have a feeling this is the same deal, 199 USD per person would be 400 USD but in Canadian dollars it would almost be 600 CDN. Seems rather steep even though it’s cheaper than what is online

$400 on a 7 day cruise buys maybe 5 drinks per day. With 2 of us it's not hard to go through 5 drinks a day. I'd rather pay the bar bill and keep the original cabin.

1 hour ago, sexyaznboy said:

I have a feeling this is the same deal, 199 USD per person would be 400 USD but in Canadian dollars it would almost be 600 CDN. Seems rather steep even though it’s cheaper than what is online

A number of us all got upsell offers around the same time. Our offer was $US199/pp, but was converted by Princess, at their high exchange rate, to $C289/pp