Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Bali Information Needed

Recommended Posts

There isn't much information on here about Bali, and now I can't find a post that I found earlier this year that I found helpful.  I was looking for a thread in which a driver was recommended for touring around the island.  In addition to the driver recommendation, there were comments from other people who had used this driver, some general information about touring around the island, and a link to a video and blog that I was hoping to look at for ideas and inspiration.  Did this thread disappear, or was it taken off for some reason?  It's now finally getting close to my cruise date, and I want to hire a driver and make some plans before it's too late.  Therefore, if anyone can point me to that post, I would be grateful.  If not, if you could provide basic information on the following, I would really appreciate it:

 

What is the cruise port in Benoa like (wifi? port terminal? taxis available? drivers available? shops available?)

What is the airport like - very congested? Allow extra time? Wifi?

In the absence of recommendations for a driver that I can arrange from home in advance, how do you hire a driver?  Should this be done before you arrive in Bali?  Is there a limit to how far the driver can travel?  Is there a standard price or standard hours?  Can you use the person for multiple days, even if you want to move from one city to another?  How do you know if the person's English (or your desired language) is good?  

 

Thank you for any help you can give me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a link to the driver Dewa - it was the driver mentioned in the post and the driver I used. Contact by email or use WhatsApp. 

taxis will be available but I will recommend the driver rather than taxi.

I did arrange everything from home. Transfers to/from hotel as well as tours.

I did send a list with the sights I wanted to see and then Dewa arranged the day tours. Just let him know where and when.

i do have a blog from my Bali stay - however still in Danish Language - many pictures from the sights - hope to translate the blog soon - use Google translate.

Airport is rather basic - but not very different from other smaller airports - experienced no problems except my power pack was confiscated in security (too powerful)  . No additional time needed and WiFi available.

I’m happy to answer your Bali question.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Bali many times, once on a cruise, the other times flown there. I usually organise a driver in advance, I use Yan Bali Tour Service and organise it through facebook messenger. In general Indonesian people are so lovely and speak fairly good English since so much of their economy is based on tourism. Driver prices are usually per day (8 hours) or per half day but if you want to travel a long way they may charge a bit more. If you have a list of places you would like to see a driver can help you organise the best way to see, any tickets needed and timings and you can book them for as many days as needed but if they are busy they usually have other drivers they can organise, you just pay cash to the driver at the end of the day. The cruise terminal in Bali was fairly basic, pretty sure it had wifi, a few small shops and there was a market just outside the fence.

 

The airport is recently renovated so much nicer now then it used to be, security  and customs lines move fairly quickly so dont need to allow extra time. If you are getting taxi on the street make sure it a proper metered blue bird taxi or agree to a price before you get in (some drivers will rip you off) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for the replies, info, link, etc.  Since I like to pre-plan, and because I'll have a number of days for touring, I'm going to hire a driver.  However, someone on my cruise is now asking if a driver can be hired on the dock once your cruise ship pulls up.  I assume that's possible, but does anyone know for sure?  

 

If anyone has gone to one of the dance performances, I'd love your impressions.  Part of me thinks I'll be too tired after touring, or that I'll find them a little too long, or too contrived or touristy to completely enjoy. The Kecak looks almost too dramatic, and the Barong I saw on Youtube too violent. But then part of me says I should go anyway.  

 

And what about food?  We can't afford to eat too much, or eat too many unfamiliar foods, and get bali belly before going on a cruise.  But how do you pick what you think might be the safest places to eat, and what to eat?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If anyone has gone to one of the dance performances, I'd love your impressions. 

I did enjoy both the Kecak and the Barong - If I should recommend one of the dances it would be the Barong - didn’t find it violent - found more history, action and references to the religion and temples in the Barong Dance.

 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

someone on my cruise is now asking if a driver can be hired on the dock once your cruise ship pulls up.

Yes, but you never know what you get - I would rather book a driver and plan the day in advance.

 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And what about food

Very good question - I’m always very selective when eating in places like Bali - however your driver might know good places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 1000s of Driver’s in Bali no matter where you go you can find drivers so there will be no issues finding someone at the port. I prefer to prebook someone who was referred so that you know it’s someone good & trustworthy.

 

With food, stick to cafe/restaurants that look clean, most places in tourist areas are pretty good now a days just avoid street food or anywhere that looks dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

There isn't much information on here about Bali, and now I can't find a post that I found earlier this year that I found helpful.  I was looking for a thread in which a driver was recommended for touring around the island.  In addition to the driver recommendation, there were comments from other people who had used this driver, some general information about touring around the island, and a link to a video and blog that I was hoping to look at for ideas and inspiration.  Did this thread disappear, or was it taken off for some reason?  It's now finally getting close to my cruise date, and I want to hire a driver and make some plans before it's too late.  Therefore, if anyone can point me to that post, I would be grateful.  If not, if you could provide basic information on the following, I would really appreciate it:

 

What is the cruise port in Benoa like (wifi? port terminal? taxis available? drivers available? shops available?)

What is the airport like - very congested? Allow extra time? Wifi?

In the absence of recommendations for a driver that I can arrange from home in advance, how do you hire a driver?  Should this be done before you arrive in Bali?  Is there a limit to how far the driver can travel?  Is there a standard price or standard hours?  Can you use the person for multiple days, even if you want to move from one city to another?  How do you know if the person's English (or your desired language) is good?  

 

Thank you for any help you can give me. 

Hello IWantToLiveOverTheSea,

I really don't know what happened to my account but some of my posts got deleted without explanations...

 

I posted this post a few minutes ago.  I hope it will help you.

 

The Canadians!😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I have contacted Dewa (your driver, forget his last name!) and he responded back to me. He was very responsive to my questions, and is free when we need someone.  Therefore, we're now all set to use his services in Bali for trips from the airport to Sanur, up to Ubud for a few days, and then to the cruise port in Benoa.   Thank you for recommending him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done port stops in Bali and and Lombok (across the bay) . We paid $80 dollars for a full day private tour 2 passengers, and $120 for 4 passengers. They used smaller Toyota Vans 7 passengers and the drivers were good. Payment was at the end of the day no prepayment asked for, but we did reserve the tours before the cruise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 7:53 AM, Expat Cruise said:

We have done port stops in Bali and and Lombok (across the bay) . We paid $80 dollars for a full day private tour 2 passengers, and $120 for 4 passengers. They used smaller Toyota Vans 7 passengers and the drivers were good. Payment was at the end of the day no prepayment asked for, but we did reserve the tours before the cruise.

 

May I ask what type of currency you paid for your tour with and also for your tips.    Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, compozer said:

May I ask what type of currency you paid for your tour with and also for your tips.    Thanks

Fees were quoted in US Dollars.  Many third world  Asian countries like payment in Dollars. Places like Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan want local  currency.  Our last trip we had 5 cars with 2 to 4 people in them, our car (four guests) we tipped $20.00. This was Lombok in March 2019, but did the same type of trip and pricing in Bali before.  The driver was very happy with $20 dollars.... he told us we were the first tour they had done since the Earthquake the Summer before.   Sadly  the day after we left they had another Earthquake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, compozer said:

May I ask what type of currency you paid for your tour with and also for your tips.

I did pay driver in USD  - did pay entrance fee to sights in local currency in addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...