Cruise Critic Community

I have hopefully a quick question... I tried to find the answer by searching first but when I couldn’t find it-I came here.  

Do we need a WiFi plan on board for the app to work?  I’m hoping to encourage my family to go WiFi free at least during the time we are on board.  

Blessings!

10 minutes ago, Bourbonandhorses said:

I have hopefully a quick question... I tried to find the answer by searching first but when I couldn’t find it-I came here.  

Do we need a WiFi plan on board for the app to work?  I’m hoping to encourage my family to go WiFi free at least during the time we are on board.  

Blessings!

You don't have to have an internet connection, but you do have to connect to the ship's wifi. The option to connect to paid internet is one of the functions of the Navigator App

If I remember correctly, you have your phone in airplane mode and the app works off the ships wifi, but there is no charge.  There is only a fee if you opt to use the internet.

I believe it was $99 to connect to the internet for our 12 day cruise.

No charge for Navigator usage but have to be connected to ship's wifi. Internet access will not work without payment of HAL's internet charges.

Question - when should I download the Navigator app?

6 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

You can download it at any time.  It will only "activate" with cruise information when you are on board.  It will allow me to log in using my HAL account login information and it gives me the countdown to my next cruise and access to generic information about cruising on Holland America.  

22 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Might as well do it now ... one less thing to do on embarkation day.

12 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Might as well do it now ... one less thing to do on embarkation day.

Is it on the HAL website or ??

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Is it on the HAL website or ??

The app store.  Or android equivalent. 

Does anyone know if the connection for your app also allows your phone to keep “real time”? 

I like to use the alarm “vibrate only” feature on my workout days. But I discovered in the Mediterranean that my phone was not close enough to land to keep time. And I did not know about the App back then.

Thank you for any info....

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Does anyone know if the connection for your app also allows your phone to keep “real time”? 

I like to use the alarm “vibrate only” feature on my workout days. But I discovered in the Mediterranean that my phone was not close enough to land to keep time. And I did not know about the App back then.

Not sure if it keeps your phone on real time.  I have always just gone in to my phone settings and manually changed the time.  

1 minute ago, Daisyloo said:

Not sure if it keeps your phone on real time.  I have always just gone in to my phone settings and manually changed the time.  

Thank you.

My phone stayed on "real time" while using navigator. I didn't try to reset it when we moved the clocks ahead or back an hour. So, it was real time, but not always ship time.

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

My phone stayed on "real time" while using navigator. I didn't try to reset it when we moved the clocks ahead or back an hour. So, it was real time, but not always ship time.

Thank you.

So it was aligned with the atomic clock?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

As soon as I board, I turn off the automatic updates for the time. 

Edited by dobiemom

The messenger does not, unless upgraded since last year, alarm you that there’s a message for you.

Just a note for using Navigator app first time. We couldn't connect to the app. We had downloaded it prior to embarkation and the reason we couldn't connect was because we had to log off first to connect and sign in again once on the ships intranet. Sounds odd but after waiting in line at guest services about the issue the very kind representative said "oh I see, just sign/log off and restart the app" and voila! Hope this helps if you find yourself frustrated when trying to connect.