Cruise Critic Community
wkrobi

Carnival funnel question

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

Nah, I think that it is the cost of regulatory compliance - and the subsequent arm wrestling over jurisdiction.  That's what put the NS Savannah out of business.  Trust me, the regulations are numerous, and sometimes not as clear as one would hope.  Plus, imagine the cost of manning the engineering section for one of those beasts!  Those of us in nuclear power don't work for table scraps.  And, it's because of our backgrounds and training.

The Savannah was never intended to make a profit, and she never did.  Her cargo spaces were too small for the size of the ship.  And I know several guys in the nuclear power field, who came from maritime academies, and the median pay for a nuclear power engineer is about what the median is for US licensed marine engineers.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Savannah was never intended to make a profit, and she never did.  Her cargo spaces were too small for the size of the ship.  And I know several guys in the nuclear power field, who came from maritime academies, and the median pay for a nuclear power engineer is about what the median is for US licensed marine engineers.

They worked too cheaply!  Unless a Marine Engineer (US licensed) makes more than I last heard.

A non-licensed operator (commonly called an Equipment Operator or Auxiliary Operator) will make around US$75K to start, and rapidly work up to over US$100K in just a few years.  An operator holding a USNRC Reactor Operators license starts at around US$115K.  An operator with an SRO license will start at around US$140K.  How does that compare to the Marine Engineer pay structure?  I didn't think that Carnival, or nearly any other cruise line would pay along those lines, but I could be wrong.

10 hours ago, DryCreek said:

They worked too cheaply!  Unless a Marine Engineer (US licensed) makes more than I last heard.

A non-licensed operator (commonly called an Equipment Operator or Auxiliary Operator) will make around US$75K to start, and rapidly work up to over US$100K in just a few years.  An operator holding a USNRC Reactor Operators license starts at around US$115K.  An operator with an SRO license will start at around US$140K.  How does that compare to the Marine Engineer pay structure?  I didn't think that Carnival, or nearly any other cruise line would pay along those lines, but I could be wrong.

No, international officers don't make quite that much, but the senior, European officers make about 70% of that.  Notice that I said "US licensed marine engineers".  We make comparable to what you quote, as I said.  A junior engineer, starting out, makes 6 figures.

This thread has got to be one of the most informative lessons I've learned about cruising on CC,   thanks mainly to Chengkp75.

Amazing that data was actually exchanged, without any name calling, popcorn fetching and provocation that pops up in threads about dress codes, priority, rule bending, etc.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

This thread has got to be one of the most informative lessons I've learned about cruising on CC,   thanks mainly to Chengkp75.

Amazing that data was actually exchanged, without any name calling, popcorn fetching and provocation that pops up in threads about dress codes, priority, rule bending, etc.  Thanks!

You forgot tips😎

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, international officers don't make quite that much, but the senior, European officers make about 70% of that.  Notice that I said "US licensed marine engineers".  We make comparable to what you quote, as I said.  A junior engineer, starting out, makes 6 figures.

Now if they would just make some commercial nuclear ships.  Surely working merchant marine had to be better than on a submarine in the U.S. Navy.