Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
furloughedagain

2019 Transportation from Fort Lauderdale to Miami and back?

I’m sure that this has been asked several times, so please forgive me for asking again. I wanted some current information. What is everyone doing for transportation between Fort Lauderdale hotels and the port of Miami? We are flying Southwest into FLL and spending the night there, and trying to decide between Uber or Lyft to the Port of Miami the next morning, or a business that specializes in that kind of transportation? Same question at the conclusion of the cruise in the other direction?

thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, furloughedagain said:

We are flying Southwest into FLL and spending the night there, and trying to decide between Uber or Lyft to the Port of Miami the next morning, or a business that specializes in that kind of transportation?

Flip a coin between those choices.

1 hour ago, furloughedagain said:

I’m sure that this has been asked several times, so please forgive me for asking again. I wanted some current information. What is everyone doing for transportation between Fort Lauderdale hotels and the port of Miami? We are flying Southwest into FLL and spending the night there, and trying to decide between Uber or Lyft to the Port of Miami the next morning, or a business that specializes in that kind of transportation? Same question at the conclusion of the cruise in the other direction?

thank you in advance!

I would always use SAS at FLL to travel to Miami and stay there overnight. SAS will also take you from Miami pier back to FLL.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Pull up both Uber and Lyft when you're ready to go and check which is cheaper.  When I did this jaunt the prices were within dollars and cents of each other.  It was just about $40 after tip in a regular Uber between the two.

We've done Larry's Limo, Taxi, SAS, and Uber.

• Uber by far was the most economical.
  • SAS was fine but there was one couple on the shuttle that began to panic when the shuttle began stopping at almost every POM terminal to pickup others. They were afraid of missing their flight.
  • The taxi was about $85 one way but that was 3 or 4 years ago.
  • Larry's was the most expensive. More comfortable than a taxi and friendlier driver. Probably comparable to an Uber XL ride but pricier.

We've pretty much relegated ourselves to Uber X. No worse than a taxi but less expensive. Last one way trip was $37 before tip.

We have used SAS several times and cannot recommend them enough.  The last time we used them, in July 2019, we flew in the day before our cruise to FLL and stayed at the Embassy Suites.  SAS picked us up at 11am the next morning, made 2 other stops in Fort Lauderdale, and we arrived at the Port of Miami and were on our ship by 1pm.  On the way back, we called them when we were in line at customs.  They picked us up within 10 minutes and we were at FLL by 11am.  We purchased the round trip on line and we were quoted $20pp for the round trip.  If we pre-paid, it was $30 for both of us, round trip.  Both drivers were wonderful and we had a great experience.  Would use them again in a heart beat

We are using SAS next week. They will pick us up at a hotel near FLL & drop us off in Miami. Once the ship returns they are picking us up and taking us back to the original hotel. Normally it's $15.00 per person each way but with prepayment it was $10.00 per person.

We have used SAS several times to go from FLL to the port in Miami (and back again to FLL), most recently January 2019.   I recommend them with a few disclaimers.  First, they load up their vans with many people going to different hotels, different parts of the airport  and different port areas.  I can understand someone worrying that they wouldn't make their flight!  The good news  is that their drivers seem to be very familiar with the airport and port areas (which can be confusing if your Uber driver has never driven in the Miami port area!).

Secondly, the vans are sometimes overcrowded, meaning that on one occasion a young woman had to sit on her husband's lap (not enough space to give her a seat).  Finally, if you have an infant or young child with a car seat, you will not be able to use your car seat and will have to hold the child in your lap.  I assume their vans are large enough that they are not required to put children in car seats as would be required in a car.  

In spite of this, I would use them again (unless I bring my grandkids!).