Cruise Critic Community
nonno25

Gluten free dining on Edge

My wife requires a gluten free diet for medical reasons. On our past Celebrity cruises we have always used the MDR but our next cruise will be Aqua Class on the Edge. I have read that in Blu they will bring her the menu so she can order for the next evening. However, what is the process if we wish to take advantage of the other dining rooms? 

Speak to the Blu MaitreD a day or so ahead of time so they can Info the other dining room of your requirements. Having said that unless you are going to Murano, or invited to Luminae, we would stick with Blu

Just realized you are on the Edge so no Murano, personally I would stick with Blu.  For breakfast & lunch (didn’t try at dinner) the buffet has a lot ofGF options.

Edited by jelayne
Addition

Jelayne,  I am going on The Edge in May (Aquaclass) and would be interested to hear which gluten free selections from Blu or the buffet you found tasty / memorable.  Unfortunately, my health requires that I avoid gluten. It is not a choice. 

I cruised the Edge earlier in the year and a preview cruise GF/Celiac. For the buffet, I never actually ate off the buffet but used it as a reference and had someone bring me the food from the back. I honestly can’t think of anything memorable. As for memorable, there is a garlic dip from the trio of dips in the Tuscan restaurant that is amazing. You can request that in blu or wherever you are dining. There is also a pork shank that was amazing. I tried to have it remade in Luminae without much luck. I think one night in our next cruise, I will go to the Cosmopolitan for it. It’s on the floating menus that go to all the restaurants. There was also an amazing pasta Carbonara that was memorable that could be made GF by request. Celebrity is the same as other lines with their ‘allergy’ meals, you’ll place an order the night before for the next nights meal. There are things that are naturally GF on the menu for the first night.  

On 12/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

Jelayne,  I am going on The Edge in May (Aquaclass) and would be interested to hear which gluten free selections from Blu or the buffet you found tasty / memorable.  Unfortunately, my health requires that I avoid gluten. It is not a choice. 

My wife and I was on Edge December 1-8 this year, and my wife eats gluten-free due to medical reasons. I don't know if it's directly memorable, but in the Oceanview Cafe you can order all their pasta dishes with gluten-free pasta, likewise they can make gluten-free pizzas at the pizza station. There are always 2-4 gluten-free desserts/cakes (at least during lunch, and I suppose also during dinner). Furthermore, in OCV all dishes are clarly marked with allergens shows as small icons. They also have gluten-free toast bread and raisin toast bread (factory-produced) on request, which she enjoyed every day for breakfast.

In the MDRs you can request and order from the next day's menu across all four MDRs (and I suppose you can in Blu/Luminae as well), which allowed my wife to have an amazing gluten-free pasta carbonara -her favourite dish overall- in Tuscan one evening. Since she ordered it the night before, they had time to cook and prepare gluten-free pasta for her.

Edited by mikkelhansen

Thank you so much for these reports!  My daughter is also gluten free (and dairy free) due to celiac and allergies.  We have had really good luck on Disney cruises and have read that Celebrity does a similarly good job (RC was bad) so we are excited.  We are used to using the buffet as a reference for her and then the team brings a "clean" version from the back so happy to hear that is the procedure on the Edge as well.  We cruise next week and I'll report back afterward for those interested.  

Thank you for this information! I'm sailing on Celebrity Millennium AQ in April and have pretty severe gluten, shellfish, and peanut/legume allergies. (as well as intolerances to red meat, raw tomatoes, and apples).  It's helpful to know I can request the menu the day prior (my only other cruise on Oceania did this as well).  Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

On 12/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Has anyone done Eden gluten-free? Were they as good at being able to accommodate? (With advance notice, I know.)

w - You will find Eden's Chef and staff AMAZING!!!!

It is a five (5) course meal and when I tell you they presented five (5) different vegan dishes, they did and then some!

Let the Maitre d'/Hostess or even if you go earlier in the day when they are prepping, to let them know you will be dining there the next evening, something fantastic will be made for you!

If you can, ask to have Miloz be your server, he will take good care of you as well...

bon appetit and bon voyage

6 hours ago, VioletView said:

Thank you for this information! I'm sailing on Celebrity Millennium AQ in April and have pretty severe gluten, shellfish, and peanut/legume allergies. (as well as intolerances to red meat, raw tomatoes, and apples).  It's helpful to know I can request the menu the day prior (my only other cruise on Oceania did this as well).  Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

We had a galley tour on Millennium a couple of weeks ago, the degree to which they keep all 'special' orders separate in their own kitchen section to control cross-contamination risks was good to see.

Posted (edited)

Also, anyone who sails The Edge can let the Maitre d' or Host/ess know first day that it can be the Chef's choice of what to prepare can go a long way to alleviate having to choose each night for the next night meal..

That is, if one does not have specific items they want to have the next night.

When I was sailing her in November, I left food prep to the chef(s), that way I did not have to think about asking or choosing something from the menu the night before.

This approach worked even in the Specialty Restaurants.

Some nights I had to let the server know it was chef's choice, but not an issue as I do like the surprize of presentation and creativity, too.

I cannot stress enough that on The Edge, as far as food goes, you will be taken care of. Might there be issues along the way from time to time, quite possible, yet my experience has not uncovered that, yet.

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953