Port of Barcelona

TNT5197

58 minutes ago, TNT5197 said:

Is there any grocery stores within walking distance of the port open on Sundays?   Or convenience stores just to pickup snacks.  Thanks.

Yes and no, 

yes there is plenty of spots along the main road including a open market. You should have no problem finding some snacks.

however, nothing is technically walkable from the ship. You will first hop on the cruise bus, the bus will then grab guests from next ship in line. This does take a few minutes, but you are dropped off at the base of the main touristy are. (Google maps, look for the second smaller circle. I forgot name of touristy street, starts with a R, Rambla or something... do a quick google search) the cruise bus is 3euros one way or 4 euros return trip. 

There were several shops within the terminal (duty free) where you could pick up snacks. 

When we disembarked the Epic on a Sunday, we saw at least a dozen people walking over the bridge with their luggage.  I'd say  at least 20-30 minutes to get off the pier and to a shop.

I'd suggest getting your snacks prior to arriving at the pier, or, take your chances that the duty free will have what you need.

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Last time i was in Barcelona,it was not allowed to walk inside the port area due to safety reasons. SO you might have to take the shuttle bus to get out of the port.

Interesting.  We have walked in and out of the port many times with no issues.  In fact, the guard at the Security Gate (to the Quai Adossat) usually does not even bother pedestrians (I once had to flash my cruise card).  DW and I enjoy the walk between the port and town (the large bridge has protected sidewalks on both sides).  The Quai Adossat can handle 4 cruise ships.  It is not uncommon to see some of the crew using their bikes to get in and out of the port and you will often see other crew members (and some cruisers) jogging.  If ships dock at other parts of Barcelona then there are various pedestrian restrictions depending where they dock.

There is also a public bus line that goes to the Quai Adossat (the bus stops are just on the other side of the street from the terminals) which can be used as alternative to the shuttles provided by most ships.  We have seen shuttle lines over an hour long (on some large ships) which is another reason we often prefer to walk.  It takes us about 25-30 min of fast walking to get to the base of the Ramblas.  The walking distance (and time) really varies depending on which of the 4 docking positions your ship uses.  The pier is about a mile long and its more then half a mile longer from the more distant Pier D then Pier A.  (see the linked diagram)

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/cruise-port/map-of-barcelona-port.html

The FAQs on this same link can be very helpful.

Hank

Thanks for the Info. We were told that walking is not allowed and were told to either use a cab or one of the shuttle busses. Interestingly this info came from the cruise line directly.(as they did not only suggest their own busses but also the public bus i was sure that this info is correct)

Next time if the weather is fine and i am in the mood i will walk.

There is Carrefour express 5-7 min walk from Colon monument. Open all day Sunday. I don't remember anyone prohibiting walking from cruise terminal to Colon. But it's couple of kilometers at least.

Also if coming by taxi to port from either airport or hotel can definitely ask driver to stop by Carrefour express. Find closest relevant location on Google map. Most open on Sunday but not Carrefour Market (bigger stores) which are closed. All Carrefour stores take CC.

• Like 1