Sail away balcony vs mini suite on Epic

Hey Everyone, just getting ready to book on the Epic for January and I'm torn.   I was about to book a BX balcony but after looking at a few reviews I am feeling like they stick you with the balcony with an enclosed area with only a small hole to see through.  I don't mind at all a lifeboat below.   So, I looked at the mni suite, which doesn't seem to be any larger, other than the shower.  I'm finding mixed reviews about them.    My question is:   what are the chances of getting a good balcony with the sail away or do I have a better chance at a good balcony with a sail away mini suite?   Any opinons?     I know that some will say if the balcony is important then pick it yourself....   however, working with Canadian money, I am trying to stretch where I can.   Thanks for your imput! 

1 hour ago, dblws said:

Hey Everyone, just getting ready to book on the Epic for January and I'm torn.   I was about to book a BX balcony but after looking at a few reviews I am feeling like they stick you with the balcony with an enclosed area with only a small hole to see through.  I don't mind at all a lifeboat below.   So, I looked at the mni suite, which doesn't seem to be any larger, other than the shower.  I'm finding mixed reviews about them.    My question is:   what are the chances of getting a good balcony with the sail away or do I have a better chance at a good balcony with a sail away mini suite?   Any opinons?     I know that some will say if the balcony is important then pick it yourself....   however, working with Canadian money, I am trying to stretch where I can.   Thanks for your imput! 

Hi.

sail away is the luck of the draw, depending on availability you may get a good location or not. I for one have booked four sail away. 2 inside sail away and 2 balcony sail away. With the inside sail away, i received  1 mid ship on the 9th deck and 1 forward deck 11. Balcony sail away i received mid ship both times. My experience with sail away has always been good but not so much for others. When it comes to mini suites, hmmm is a little more tricky, since some can be under the buffet or near the outside pool. I wish you good luck.

Edited by spanishguy1970

We just had a BX assigned on Escape (not Epic but maybe this post will help.) We got an excellent BB cabin location on deck 13... two passenger decks were above and several more were below. Was forward of the forward elevators but not near the bow. I would have picked this location if I could have.

Was assigned at 19 days out.

My 2 cents also. After over 20 cruises i have decided to try sail away. We are very picky about location so this was a big step.  I will say every location has been awesome. I did have a price reduction on one cruise so that puts you back to being reassigned a cabin. Still another good location.  It amazes me how i pay 600.00-800.00 more for 2 people to pick my own location that is no better.lol

our December cruise is paid off and there was a nice price reduction so for 20.00 PP we went from balcony to mini suite. Again we waited for location.  Got mid ship deck 14 on Getaway.  We do prefer near elevator but we will libe with this.

BTW the mini suites are a tiny bit larger. The bathroom has two sinks. I was very happy with the balcony on Breakaway. Love the cabin layout compared to older ships.

good luck whatever you do but i will continue to try sailaway until i get a cabin from hell.lol we have a cruise for December 2020 also and the sailaway balconies were sold out VERY fast. So this is very popular.