Hull Balcony on the Joy?

nyc2pdx

Thoughts on hull balcony?  Considering an upgrade to an H8, but notes on the plans that it has a Steel Hull Balcony (it is right under the bridge-deck 13).  I don't think I would mind it...but wanted to get some thoughts on those who have experienced it.

I've seen some pictures of what it could look like.  

Edited by nyc2pdx

HULL Balcony sometimes referred to or characterized as PRIVACY.

Benefits of a HULL BALCONY is you are sheltered from the elements and have a degree of privacy -

your cabin neighbors having to risk falling overboard to lean over and view into your cabin.

For photo opts will require having the camera held out beyond the steel structure to have photos

without the steel bulkhead framing.

Wind and rain sleet snow gloom of whatever unless directed directly at you will not have any effect

on your use of the cabin although it maybe troublesome to open/close the balcony door.

Cabin interior space not substantially effected.

Balcony dimensions maybe somewhat smaller.

There maybe limited use of deck furniture - lounge chairs etc.

These type of cabins are usually found on higher decks where the deck above extends out over the

ceiling of your deck. Beware maybe a noise factor from above - check the deck plan.

These balconies are suitable for foul weather cruises - Caribbean and Mediterranean sun drenched

cruises not so much.

18 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

HULL Balcony sometimes referred to or characterized as PRIVACY.

Benefits of a HULL BALCONY is you are sheltered from the elements and have a degree of privacy -

your cabin neighbors having to risk falling overboard to lean over and view into your cabin.

For photo opts will require having the camera held out beyond the steel structure to have photos

without the steel bulkhead framing.

Wind and rain sleet snow gloom of whatever unless directed directly at you will not have any effect

on your use of the cabin although it maybe troublesome to open/close the balcony door.

Cabin interior space not substantially effected.

Balcony dimensions maybe somewhat smaller.

There maybe limited use of deck furniture - lounge chairs etc.

These type of cabins are usually found on higher decks where the deck above extends out over the

ceiling of your deck. Beware maybe a noise factor from above - check the deck plan.

These balconies are suitable for foul weather cruises - Caribbean and Mediterranean sun drenched

cruises not so much.

Thanks very much for the info!  I went with it in the end.  It was for an H8 on the Joy, with a hull balcony.  From the pictures I can see online, I can see the balcony under the bridge and it looks like the one Two Wheels posted above.  Here is a photo I found (I marked the balcony) from the Bliss (which I think is the sister ship to the Joy?  The room suite is the same on the Joy per the deck plans).  It looks like there is a bar across the middle and glass underneath.

I see it this way-I will have access to the Haven, so I will probably spend most of my time there 🙂

norwegian-bliss-wyland-hull-artwork.jpg