Cruise Critic Community
need2cruisesoon

Discovery Princess: Wow Another Royal Class Ship That Is Built on Aging Platform.

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Did you do it via the web or via an Ocean app.  The app does not Show folio but the web Caribbean.princess.com

My next cruise isn't for 3 more days so I can't show you until then 😔

You can only check your folio while on board the ship.  I was on CB in Feb and could check my folio.  I went down to guest services and asked them why I could no longer check folio's on the tv.  They said that since the ships went to medallion net the folio's were avail on smart phones and tablets via the ships intranet

On 10/9/2019 at 10:20 PM, zalusky said:

How about video chatting on your TV back home

That would require a TV with a built-in camera, and "smart TVs"  have been easily hacked in the past.

Why risk the chance of someone watching you in your cabin without your knowledge or consent?

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

You can only check your folio while on board the ship.  I was on CB in Feb and could check my folio.  I went down to guest services and asked them why I could no longer check folio's on the tv.  They said that since the ships went to medallion net the folio's were avail on smart phones and tablets via the ships intranet

So those that choose to put their electronics away while on a cruise are somewhat inconvenienced because they choose not to carry phone or tablet. I myself do carry my phone. I have no problem with that. With that said, do you see how they (Princess) assumes that everyone that comes on board will carry their phone with them?  It is the way of the world now. 😐

2 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

So those that choose to put their electronics away while on a cruise are somewhat inconvenienced because they choose not to carry phone or tablet. I myself do carry my phone. I have no problem with that. With that said, do you see how they (Princess) assumes that everyone that comes on board will carry their phone with them?  It is the way of the world now. 😐

For the disconnected, you can inquire at the PSD or use a self-serve kiosk nearby.

greenie082756,   you can walk down to customer service everyday and request a paper copy of your folio.  For me it is quicker to access my folio on my ipad in my cabin

35 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

greenie082756,   you can walk down to customer service everyday and request a paper copy of your folio.  For me it is quicker to access my folio on my ipad in my cabin

I am aware of the kiosk for account info. Also if that is "out of order" you can go to the always pleasant and courteous <grin>   <story for another time> passenger services desk and ask for a print out as well.

Yes, paper options are available for those who want to go without phones / tablets. My point is that Princess is pushing the electronic option much more than the paper one. Like I stated earlier, I do carry my cell phone with me on the ship. I do like the electronic version on the ship (Medallion). Its just the agenda..

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

My next cruise isn't for 3 more days so I can't show you until then 😔

I wish my next one was in another three days 😪. It seems ages since we were on the Caribbean Princess. Have a great cruise.

Here is an example of the nuisance we have to deal with our CPAPs each night.   The nightstands clearly have power to run the lights.  Why can’t they have outlets and redo the lights to be in the back instead of taking the whole nightstand.  And most people I talked with had CPAPs. 

Having fun typing this as we try to dodge hurricane Melissa outside of Boston.  Going to come in late tomorrow.

image.jpg

OMG that's a mess!! So glad I just need 1 plug anywhere in the room

On 10/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Don't get it, Princess orders another Royal Class ship the 6th in a series as such. 

When she is released for inaugural cruise the ship will be 11 years old of an ancient design that is anything but spectacular.(yawn) Kinda like Oldsmobile in the 70's.

Can somebody at Princess think out of the box and come up with "innovation" in a ship design? Something will make me remember the ship after I disembark....

Gee, how "old" does that makes the Ruby, the Star, the Golden and some of the others and they seem to be pretty full a lot of the time?  Since those ships were launched 11, 17, and 18 years ago this year that means they're even older right now than the new Royal class will be when it's launched and they seem to be doing pretty good. Periodic upgrades seem to work pretty well to keep the ships in shape it seems.  If even the new Royal class ships seem so ancient and "anything but spectacular", maybe you should try a different line or two? Older doesn't necessarily mean bad or uncomfortable.

Tom

15 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Probably because you never were able to check your folios on the tv on Princess.

20 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

That would require a TV with a built-in camera, and "smart TVs"  have been easily hacked in the past.

Why risk the chance of someone watching you in your cabin without your knowledge or consent?

I believe that chance to approximate that of winning the big jackpot in the lottery. If they did that in my cabin they would be subject to the horror of watching me lounge about in my boxers. For more intimate encounters of the cabin variety one could always drape the duvet over the TV; and as always line your hats with fresh tin foil. 😁

9 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

I believe that chance to approximate that of winning the big jackpot in the lottery. If they did that in my cabin they would be subject to the horror of watching me lounge about in my boxers. For more intimate encounters of the cabin variety one could always drape the duvet over the TV; and as always line your hats with fresh tin foil. 😁

In this case tin foil is of no help. The hacking of "smart tvs" is well documented. Any camera connected to an intranet or internet is vulnerable.

17 hours ago, zalusky said:

Here is an example of the nuisance we have to deal with our CPAPs each night.   The nightstands clearly have power to run the lights.  Why can’t they have outlets and redo the lights to be in the back instead of taking the whole nightstand.  And most people I talked with had CPAPs. 

Having fun typing this as we try to dodge hurricane Melissa outside of Boston.  Going to come in late tomorrow.

The lights on the nightstand are 220v, so while I believe most CPAP power supplies are 100-240vac, you would need to ensure that.  And, wow, 6 USB devices charging!

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The lights on the nightstand are 220v, so while I believe most CPAP power supplies are 100-240vac, you would need to ensure that.  And, wow, 6 USB devices charging!

2 phones, 2 iPads, 2 watches. 🙂. Seniors today.   And yes cpaps work fine with 240v as is the usb charger.

4 minutes ago, zalusky said:

2 phones, 2 iPads, 2 watches. 🙂. Seniors today.   And yes cpaps work fine with 240v as is the usb charger.

No cpap but have the same amount of gadgets plus a kindle when we travel   Thinking about only taking one of the ipads next trip.