Cruise Critic Community
Vineyard View

All day catamaran vs railroad with sail return

We are contemplating a DIY in St Kitts

A full day sail including Nevis

A railway/train ride with sailing return. 

We have ave never been to St Kitts. I would appreciate some thoughts around these options. Thank you

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We are contemplating a DIY in St Kitts

A full day sail including Nevis

A railway/train ride with sailing return. 

We have ave never been to St Kitts. I would appreciate some thoughts around these options. Thank you

Unless you are considering a private charter there could be no DIY options, as a shared Cat sail will be booked out by the cruise ship.

Also, the train will be booked by the cruise ships, with no DIY options.

If you have no wish to take a ship tour, then you have two good beach options.

Sunshine's on Nevis or the Marriott, both being T'erd free zones.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Thank you. Yes, I found out that train or cat are cruise ship controlled in this port. 

We are signed up for the cat, but when we board I am going to see if they will tell me how many others are and make a decision whether to cancel. 

I guess I was trying to decide between the all day cat vs the train plus sail back option, or whether to grab a cab to Romney manner and then a beach would be most enjoyable. 

I generally avoid ship excursions but this port has it somewhat locked down. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Yes, I found out that train or cat are cruise ship controlled in this port. 

We are signed up for the cat, but when we board I am going to see if they will tell me how many others are and make a decision whether to cancel. 

I guess I was trying to decide between the all day cat vs the train plus sail back option, or whether to grab a cab to Romney manner and then a beach would be most enjoyable. 

I generally avoid ship excursions but this port has it somewhat locked down. 

Knowing ships look to maximise their profits, they will go to the maximum allowed under the Cat Licence.

As a guide the type of Cat used by ships, and they (head office bean counters) will have a costings minimum of 35 up to a legal max of about the low/mid 50's

One thing for certain, there will always be a stampede for a front positions on the webbing.  Then they stand up to take photographs, thereby blocking the view for others.

Fabulous photographs of rows of a varied assortment of rears.

Then another stampede, with sharp elbows at the ready bun fight, when food/drinks are served.  Just sit back and watch it. 

Best take a seating position a the stern of the ship, no views blocked and when the Cat serves the food/drinks, it will be on your deck right in front of you.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Sounds like so much fun - not. We are the only ship in port and once on board if there are these quantities of people booked we will cancel. It’s a shame that ST Kitts has this situation locked locked down. 

Thank you for your honesty on expectations 

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Sounds like so much fun - not. We are the only ship in port and once on board if there are these quantities of people booked we will cancel. It’s a shame that ST Kitts has this situation locked locked down. 

Thank you for your honesty on expectations 

A small tip.

Book, then check the day before the tour with the Tours Office as to how many booked, if too many, cancel.

If you cancel, then just do a beach stay at the Marriott as no T'erds

Here is TTE's definitive protocol for the Marriott.

I've have never made reservations once on our visits to the Marriott, when are you going?? Between now and Christmas you won't need anything but a smile and a credit card for your $35.00(Please don't pay the booking fee.) day pass at the St. Kitts Marriott. 

It's this simple, when your taxi drops you off in front of the Marriott, you walk directly towards the concierge desk to your left with a big smile, credit card in hand, they're going to ask you what ship you are on, IF you happen to be cruising on a Carnival Cruise Ship, lie😄 and tell them your cruising on either a Princess, Royal Caribbean or even Holland America if you have too, hand them your credit card when she hands you your receipt walk over to the elevator get in it and hit THE BEACH button, walk out and go have a great day! 

First thing's first, go back to the bar order a good bloody mary and get a tab started, yep break out that credit card again. 😁

You'll figure out the rest.

If you have 4-5 people in your group I would not only consider a day room, I would do a day room same price altogether you get a nice room for the day to keep your stuff and go and get out of the sun for a few it's nice, only way to go 4 or more. 

Have fun!!

Thanks for this information. I need to cancel 3 days in advance for a refund so will check out the numbers. I read good reviews about the Marriott  

Is Romney Manner worth a side trip? 

11 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks for this information. I need to cancel 3 days in advance for a refund so will check out the numbers. I read good reviews about the Marriott  

Is Romney Manner worth a side trip? 

Yes, it's gardens and views are beautiful for photograph opportunities, but fabulous if you're into Gardens and plants.  Give the Batic store a quick look, just out of interest, and partake of the free rum tastings, which is slightly hidden.  Ask where it is.  Small Tips into the tips glass is usually rewarded with larger pours.

Think you'll do everything you want at Romney in just over a hour and a bit, but if seriously into flora and fauna it will need a full day.

Well we ended up taking a darned ship excursion. The first half was a catamaran that was very enjoyable in spite of a larger number of people than we prefer. 

However, the return trip was on the Railroad. My advice - don’t  waste your time. It was awful. There were only the first two rail cars with people - last two empty. We were directed to the first rail car behind the engine. We sucked up diesel fumes for two hours and the car was rocking so incredibly bad that it was impossible to get up and move. 

Another passenger in the second rail car said he noticed how much our car was rocking violently and was grateful he wasn’t on ours. So at the very least, do not get on the first car behind the engine. I felt sick from the diesel for hours after. It was expensive and a total waste of time. 

18 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Well we ended up taking a darned ship excursion. The first half was a catamaran that was very enjoyable in spite of a larger number of people than we prefer. 

However, the return trip was on the Railroad. My advice - don’t  waste your time. It was awful. There were only the first two rail cars with people - last two empty. We were directed to the first rail car behind the engine. We sucked up diesel fumes for two hours and the car was rocking so incredibly bad that it was impossible to get up and move. 

Another passenger in the second rail car said he noticed how much our car was rocking violently and was grateful he wasn’t on ours. So at the very least, do not get on the first car behind the engine. I felt sick from the diesel for hours after. It was expensive and a total waste of time. 

Note to self.  Next time, Romney Manor then Marriott.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:42 PM, Vineyard View said:

However, the return trip was on the Railroad. My advice - don’t  waste your time. It was awful.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but thanks for posting. I have considered that "Rail and Sail" over the years, but yours is not the only lukewarm review I've seen, and has convinced me to not bother. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle

Unless you have an affinity for railways (there is 100+ years of history with this one) I would not recommend. We felt like it was a really big missed opportunity of experiencing a lovely island.