Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Sign in to follow this  
Lindy028

Hotel recommendations for pre cruise Dubai

We are cruising from Dubai next year and are looking for a 1 night pre cruise hotel. Never been to Dubai before so any recommendations would be much appreciated. We will have a full day and night in Dubai as we arrive on an overnight flight. 

12 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

We are cruising from Dubai next year and are looking for a 1 night pre cruise hotel. Never been to Dubai before so any recommendations would be much appreciated. We will have a full day and night in Dubai as we arrive on an overnight flight. 

Hyatt Regency Dubai is nice and close to the pier.

25 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Taxis are readily available and cheap.  Traffic can be horrendous though.

Yes we were warned about the traffic, we land on Monday morning at approx 8:30, I presume the traffic will be horrendous at that time. Good to know that taxis are readily available and cheap. 

In Dubai no one walks taxis are everywhere including taxis only for ladies. 

We are staying on the QE2 for one night prior to our cruise, which incidentally is permanently moored at the cruise terminal.

mklions

11 hours ago, mklions said:

We are staying on the QE2 for one night prior to our cruise, which incidentally is permanently moored at the cruise terminal.

mklions

We read about this on another board, had no idea the QE2 was there, will take a look, thanks.

I would also suggest considering the 'Arabian Courtyard Hotel' which is in the older part by the Creek and Dubai Museum.  Excellent standard of hotel with lots to see/experience nearby and the gold souk is over the creek which you can cross by their water taxis (try a search - very different).  that hotel is not well placed if you want to do the modern high rise stuff though.  Prices are very reasonable and we found their executive room (and exec lounge) very good as well.  You will find a beer costs about £12 in Dubai (and other alcohol likewise), so bear it in mind if you like a tipple.

There is a taxi rank at the airport.  The cream taxis with various colour roofs are the standard taxis, so normally advised.  I think the black cars cost more.  Hotel ports can ring for a standard taxi for when you depart, but check you do not need to order a bit earlier. 

Edited by tring

tring, thank you so much for all that information, it is very helpful. We do like a tipple, and £12 is a bit eye watering for a beer, as we are only there for one night we‘ll probably give it a miss. Will take a look at the hotel you suggest, it sounds like it may suit us.

Hilton Dubai Creek.  

I stayed there a few years ago.  It was well located near the tourist areas new and very clean.  As others have mentioned taxis are very cheap clean, think London black taxis with out the price not NYC taxis.  The cab drivers speak very good English and are usually excited to practice it on you, and will be very chatty in a friendly way.  

Also a word of warning,  under cover cops are everywhere you are very safe but DO NOT SWEAR, or get confrontational with the local Emirati.  It will end very badly for you if a cop sees this.  Other than that it is a very interesting place enjoy.

DPR

1 hour ago, Dred pilot Roberts said:

Hilton Dubai Creek.  

I stayed there a few years ago.  It was well located near the tourist areas new and very clean.  As others have mentioned taxis are very cheap clean, think London black taxis with out the price not NYC taxis.  The cab drivers speak very good English and are usually excited to practice it on you, and will be very chatty in a friendly way.  

Also a word of warning,  under cover cops are everywhere you are very safe but DO NOT SWEAR, or get confrontational with the local Emirati.  It will end very badly for you if a cop sees this.  Other than that it is a very interesting place enjoy.

DPR

Thanks for all the information, it all helps us to make the most of our short stay, just wondering if we should maybe do 2 nights pre cruise. 

2 days is plenty, I would recommend seeing the old town, burj khalifa observation platform (tallest building in the world), Dubai Mall, have afternoon tea at the burj al Arab (the famous sail shaped hotel), 

5 hours ago, Lindy028 said:

tring, thank you so much for all that information, it is very helpful. We do like a tipple, and £12 is a bit eye watering for a beer, as we are only there for one night we‘ll probably give it a miss. Will take a look at the hotel you suggest, it sounds like it may suit us.

Lindy.  You can buy an amazing amount of duty free booze on arrival at Dubai airport.  I think it may be 3 litres per person?  The shop is just before you exit the ‘duty’ area on the left before going through the doors into arrivals.  

If you do the Burj al Arab, lunch at Al Muntaha on the same floor as afternoon tea is better value in my opinion.  If you do Burj Khalifa, I would suggest booking tickets for sunset.  Go up in daylight and watch the sunset.

8 hours ago, tring said:

I would also suggest considering the 'Arabian Courtyard Hotel' which is in the older part by the Creek and Dubai Museum.  Excellent standard of hotel with lots to see/experience nearby and the gold souk is over the creek which you can cross by their water taxis (try a search - very different).  that hotel is not well placed if you want to do the modern high rise stuff though.  Prices are very reasonable and we found their executive room (and exec lounge) very good as well.  You will find a beer costs about £12 in Dubai (and other alcohol likewise), so bear it in mind if you like a tipple.

There is a taxi rank at the airport.  The cream taxis with various colour roofs are the standard taxis, so normally advised.  I think the black cars cost more.  Hotel ports can ring for a standard taxi for when you depart, but check you do not need to order a bit earlier. 

I was very pleased to read that you recommended the Arabian Courtyard hotel. Our TA has booked us in there for one night in late March prior to the cruise to Athens. Our friends who are flying in from a different airport are also booked in. 

We’ll be fine doing without alcohol. 😉

The Arabian Courtyard has a lovely English pub where we had an evening meal with beer and wine at a very reasonable price. It is ideal for the museum and the creek. I’m sure you will have a great time.

2 hours ago, cinnamon said:

I was very pleased to read that you recommended the Arabian Courtyard hotel. Our TA has booked us in there for one night in late March prior to the cruise to Athens. Our friends who are flying in from a different airport are also booked in. 

We’ll be fine doing without alcohol. 😉

We booked independently, but there was a post cruise group booked in.  We had an email a couple of days before we arrived asking if we wanted to be put in a different hotel of theirs.  We looked it up and found it was a small, authentically historical style but with no A/C, so we said "Thank you, but no thank you".  When we arrived we had been upgraded to the executive room.  We were also allowed use of the lounge for breakfast, and soft drinks/snacks during the day, but not the two alcoholic drinks per person which are available in the evening if you have full executive status.  Hence I cannot comment on the normal restaurant for breakfast, which is what we had originally booked.

It was our first visit to Dubai and we spent 3 nights there on a stop over on a long haul journey, but had a great time within the locality and just going over the Creek by water taxi.  We will be in Dubai for 4 nights after a cruise from Sri Lanka in February, but have booked into a different area to do the more modern things and the mosque.  We would very happily return to the Arabian Courtyard another time.  It was recommended to me on a cruise forum, so perhaps they do a lot of bookings with agents dealing with cruises.

Enjoy your stays everyone,

Barbara  

Edited by tring

16 hours ago, tiggertom said:

The Arabian Courtyard has a lovely English pub where we had an evening meal with beer and wine at a very reasonable price. It is ideal for the museum and the creek. I’m sure you will have a great time.

On our most recent visit to Dubai we also stayed at the Arabian Courtyard and dined in the English pub each evening. Found it to be good value and a great location

Would use it again.  On a cruise at the moment and having problems with CC, hope that this makes sense! 

Since my suggestion of The Arabian Courtyard Hotel has been added to by a couple of other posters, I thought it worth mentioning for anyone looking at more than an overnight there that we had a cultural lunch and talk in a location very near to the hotel, which has very good reviews on Trip Advisor:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g295424-d11470697-Authentic_Emirati_Cultural_Meal_and_Talk_in_Old_Dubai-Dubai_Emirate_of_Dubai.html 

They only do certain days for certain meals (not all are lunches) and a guided walk around a reconstructed historic area of the meal venue, again all within 0.2 mile of that hotel.  We did not go on the guided walk but did explore that area.  It really was an excellent experience and the food was really good in a very clean environment and run by people who were obviously well educated.

The following link gives more information about the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding as well as lists which say what is nearby to the venue (which means those places are also near the hotel mentioned).  https://www.dubai-online.com/sights/smccu/   Be aware though that the Jumeirah Mosque is NOT in the immediate area of the Arabian Courtyard Hotel and neither are the modern parts of Dubai which some people particularly want to visit.  We booked the meal through their own website, having originally found the reviews etc. on TA, but it is also offered by Viator. 

Edited by tring