Cruise Critic Community
nordski

Pursuit: Venice to Rome, Completed 2nd leg of B2B

I commented on our first leg of a B2B on Pursuit that was Croatia intensive.

Some thoughts on the second leg:

1/ Service remained exemplary. No issues at all, although the gentleman on the toaster in Windows may have to reconsider his new "system".

Once more, the Head Waiters and supervisory staff were seemingly everywhere to monitor the servers. 

2/ The Azamazing Evening in Koper, featuring a local acapella chorus Perpetum Jazille, was outstanding. It was heavily praised by staff before we went and they proved worthy of the created anticipation.There are some YouTube videos if you wish to sample their skills.

3/ We continued to be impressed by the talents of Asst. CD Amanda Poulson  in The Cabaret and pianist Maryfer in The Den.

4/ The White Night activities delivered more energy than that on the first leg. I hate to think it, but the Canadian contingent on this leg reverted to its usual 3rd place  in the league table surpassed again by citizens of the UK. Apparently you shouldn't invite us to a party if you want 'the good times to role".

5/ The cruiser of this itinerary was the 8 year old daughter of one of the Head Waiters. We saw her at breakfast on the second day and her eyes couldn't have been wider. From then on she was little Miss Polite Energy. She was one of the first dancers on the floor during White Night. Memorable!

Some Minor Issues:

1/ The process to sign in cruisers for the second leg floundered a bit because of the numbers involved. Efforts were immediately undertaken by Geeta (sp?) the Concierge  to rectify the problem but, since some wanted to go out early to see Venice,  inevitably frustration developed.

2/ The process to sign up for WiFi was changed. We did not receive an initial PIN number to access the service and initial confusion, at least in my mind, ensued. I assume they will continue to use this new system and that even I will eventually grasp how it is supposed to work. The primary issue for us was how to use our Loyalty Points to help pay for access throughout the cruise. I also thought that system was very, very quick to dump me off if there was even a short period of non use.

Major Issue:

On the first night of the first leg we experienced considerable rattling in our VX stateroom at the rear of the ship. Even the rattles seemed to have rattles :). With strategic use of wads of Kleenex and rolled up wash cloths and towels, and by leaving certain doors open (including that of our safe), we lessened the issue. Unfortunately, the problem returned on about 4 nights of the second leg.

Since it was likely a function of the ship's speed, this no doubt reflected the distances we were covering between ports. 

We could also mostly mask the problem with ear buds and soothing music or podcasts. Or even listing to BBC 4 as the Shipping Forecast seemed peculiarly relaxing.

I also thought the engines were rather noisy in the corridors of Deck 6 Aft. However, this may have been a sign that we were a bit traumatized.

I don't think anyone else has complained about this and perhaps increasing age has made us more aware. But we have never experienced the like, and if I remember Phil's (excitedof harpenden) comments accurately about his sensitivity to noise, this is definitely a stateroom that some should avoid.

I will post details on the Stateroom List.

Thanks....Hope it isn't Cabin 7121..😟

Posted (edited)

I noticed a lot more noise and rattles on Pursuit than Journey and Quest and this I think has a lot to do with the way the ship was maintained in its previous life in the hands of P & O. I moved cabin three times on one cruise because of noise and banging from underneath the cabin. And yes. I am a bit of a pain when it comes to noise. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I second Phils comments, 7000 on Pursuit was so rattling.  Yet others who had been on in on Journey and Quest had no issues.  I won't book it again

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I noticed a lot more noise and rattles on Pursuit than Journey and Quest and this I think has a lot to do with the way the ship was maintained in its previous life in the hands of P & O. I moved cabin three times on one cruise because of noise and banging from underneath the cabin. And yes. I am a bit of a pain when it comes to noise. 

Phil 

You had a very colourful and unforgettable phrase to describe your sensitivity to noise, including a reference to a moth.

Thanks for your comment.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I second Phils comments, 7000 on Pursuit was so rattling.  Yet others who had been on in on Journey and Quest had no issues.  I won't book it again

Much as we loved Pursuit, If we were going back  we would be very careful about location.

Midship would be a priority.

With the creation of the "plus" category it seems necessary to book early to try to control where we will be on the ship. In the North American market we are easily able to rebook to keep the preferred stateroom and to take advantage of sales.

For example, on a cruise next summer that spends two nights in beautiful Edinburgh, under the present Double Upgrade offer we save $3,000.

I realize that that strategy is neither viable nor wise in all markets.

7 hours ago, Fatfish said:

Thanks....Hope it isn't Cabin 7121..😟

No it wasn't, and the last thing I want to do is to create alarm amongst those who have cruises booked.

Most of the cruise was excellent, and perhaps most of the rattle problem merely reflects the sensitivity of an aging couple.   :).

Overall we had a great time as I indicated.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I think you may be correct about P&O maintenance. HD  Ryzsard commented that they were surprised at the mechanical state of Pursuit when Azamara took it over. Is there discussion about extending Pursuit's dry dock? Could this be the reason?

We mentioned the problem on the mid cruise questionnaire but received no response. This was not surprising as the ship was full and, outside of our band aid solutions, I'm not certain what could be done.

In the context of Pursuit's condition when acquired, Ryzsard also commented that any addition to the fleet would be a new build. But there are executives in Miami who may have the final say on that.

2 hours ago, nordski said:

You had a very colourful and unforgettable phrase to describe your sensitivity to noise, including a reference to a moth.

Thanks for your comment.

You got it!  But this moth was a bit of a headbanger!🤕

Phil 

Thanks for your second-leg comments, nordski. I hung on your every word. 🤣

Fortunately, I do not eat toast, and my cabin in May will be midship, so I hope your vibration issues aren't a problem for me. But as you suggested, I may be too busy drinking Guinness to notice.

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Thanks for your second-leg comments, nordski. I hung on your every word. 🤣

Fortunately, I do not eat toast, and my cabin in May will be midship, so I hope your vibration issues aren't a problem for me. But as you suggested, I may be too busy drinking Guinness to notice.

Thanks for the thanks, but if I accept the truth of your first sentence I’m fearful that your judgement is questionable and your trust misplaced. 😄

“Too busy drinking Guinness” will only be true if the glass is in your hand while you are shopping, but I know that you are a master  multitasker.

Your itinerary is very alluring and the toast and vibration issues should be negligible. 

But surely you need a Canadian guide in Northern Ireland who lives near a town called Orangeville and in a County where there used to be more Orange Lodges than primary schools.

The fee is negotiable.

Edited by nordski