Koningsdam adrift for an hour in Med on Friday

bennybear

The problem was electronic, the TVs were down earlier that morning.  

The flip side is the new systems allowed us to visit Santorini when other ships cancelled as we were safely able to maintain our position near the port in windy conditions.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Maybe HAL should add the listening capabilities to the app.   Just pick up your phone and hear the announcement.  Maybe I will write them and make that suggestion. 

Or even better, have it recorded and available for replay on the app. No need to have multiple versions, just the ability to replay the last captains (or CDs) announcement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

not our first cruise and hopefully not our last

I love your signature tag! On our last cruise, one passenger wore a t-shirt emblazoned: "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." 

I hope you will always have a next cruise.

16 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We always listen to the noon reports (if in our cabin at the time) on the TV channel that shows the front of the ship.  You should always memorize that channel number to get to the important announcements in a hurry.

New information. Thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

The problem was electronic, the TVs were down earlier that morning.  

The flip side is the new systems allowed us to visit Santorini when other ships cancelled as we were safely able to maintain our position near the port in windy conditions.  

Trust me, the TV's, other IT or electronic systems, and the engine room automation/navigation automation have nothing in common.  Whether this was caused by the dynamic positioning controls (which I doubt, being at sea), or the engine room automation, I can't say, but I would suspect that it really had nothing to do with electronics, and a lot to do with high voltage electrical equipment.  Likely one diesel generator tripped off line, overloading the remaining generators, and they tripped off before a standby diesel could come on, and something in the automation logic kept the standby generator from coming on, or the engineers took it off right away until they could determine the cause.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

On all HAL ships, there is a speaker in your cabin, usually right behind you in the headboard.   Older ships (way back) had volume controls and music channel selectors.  But they cannot take the chance that you have your speaker turned fully down or on the wrong channel to hear an emergency message from the bridge.  So, all volume controls and selector switches are gone.   For routine messages from the captain or CD, you have to tune your TV to the appropriate channel to hear the message, or prop your cabin door open a bit.   But for emergency messages, even emergency drills for the crew, you WILL hear the message, no doubt about it.   It will blast into your cabin loud enough to wake anyone.   A perfect example is if you stay onboard on a port day and you decide to take a afternoon nap.  You will be rudely awakened by 7 blasts over the speaker in your cabin announcing a crew emergency drill.   You can go back to sleep, but you will be awakened again when the drill is terminated.

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

On all HAL ships, there is a speaker in your cabin, usually right behind you in the headboard.   Older ships (way back) had volume controls and music channel selectors.  But they cannot take the chance that you have your speaker turned fully down or on the wrong channel to hear an emergency message from the bridge.  So, all volume controls and selector switches are gone.   For routine messages from the captain or CD, you have to tune your TV to the appropriate channel to hear the message, or prop your cabin door open a bit.   But for emergency messages, even emergency drills for the crew, you WILL hear the message, no doubt about it.   It will blast into your cabin loud enough to wake anyone.   A perfect example is if you stay onboard on a port day and you decide to take a afternoon nap.  You will be rudely awakened by 7 blasts over the speaker in your cabin announcing a crew emergency drill.   You can go back to sleep, but you will be awakened again when the drill is terminated.

Those older speakers with the channel and volume controls always had an "override" where the bridge switched the feed to all the speakers, and it bypassed the volume and channel controls, and broadcast at full volume.

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Trust me, the TV's, other IT or electronic systems, and the engine room automation/navigation automation have nothing in common.  Whether this was caused by the dynamic positioning controls (which I doubt, being at sea), or the engine room automation, I can't say, but I would suspect that it really had nothing to do with electronics, and a lot to do with high voltage electrical equipment.  Likely one diesel generator tripped off line, overloading the remaining generators, and they tripped off before a standby diesel could come on, and something in the automation logic kept the standby generator from coming on, or the engineers took it off right away until they could determine the cause.

Thanks for the explanation because I was wondering why the back-up systems which the newer ships have (in fact, Captain Al's blog went into great detail about NS's multiple systems) weren't alleviating the problem.  You answered my question.  Thanks.

How scary for passengers.  Glad it turned out well.  I agree that passengers needed to be quiet when the captain was speaking about the emergency.  Not being able to hear must have been frustrating.  Of course, some people believe that their conversations should take precedence over everything else, even an emergency message.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, RuthC said:

I was on the Rotterdam when it got whacked by an 80' wave. People in the dining room were toppled over while sitting in their chairs. Walking was taking your safety in your hands, especially for those who have difficulty walking. 
It was dangerous. 

Holy Cow!😳

Thats a a lot of wave!

Edited by TiogaCruiser

We were on the Rotterdam and during dinner there was an emergency situation due to a fire on board.  It was quickly contained and the Captain kept us informed with updates.

What really irritated me was that everyone was quiet during the first announcements given in English but, as soon as the Captain switched to Dutch, everyone started talking.

English is my native tonque, but there were elderly Dutch people sitting next to us who had limited English.  Because they couldn’t hear the Captain’s announcements in Dutch due to the coversational roar, I ended up translating the important information for them.

Please keep in mind that especially in Europe when many Dutch are on board, not all speak English well enough to understand everything.  In a real emergency it’s in everyone’s best interest that all passagers understand the instructions.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lunar Dragon said:

We were on the Rotterdam and during dinner there was an emergency situation due to a fire on board.  It was quickly contained and the Captain kept us informed with updates.

What really irritated me was that everyone was quiet during the first announcements given in English but, as soon as the Captain switched to Dutch, everyone started talking.

English is my native tonque, but there were elderly Dutch people sitting next to us who had limited English.  Because they couldn’t hear the Captain’s announcements in Dutch due to the coversational roar, I ended up translating the important information for them.

Please keep in mind that especially in Europe when many Dutch are on board, not all speak English well enough to understand everything.  In a real emergency it’s in everyone’s best interest that all passagers understand the instructions.

You are expecting passengers to be considerate of their fellow passengers in today's "Me First" environment.

This brings to memory a very old Perry Como song, "Dream On, Little Dreamer, Dream On" !!!

19 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Holy Cow!😳

Thats a a lot of wave!

It was. It breached the watertight doors on Upper Promenade, and cascaded down the stairs in front of the stage. Bingo was canceled the next day, as the carpet was so wet. The gangway (I think that's what it was), that was stored on an outside forward deck, broke loose and smashed against the superstructure---leaving a large dent in it. I have pictures of the wave hitting the windows on the Bridge. 
What a mess in the shops, as everything went flying. 

It was an extremely dangerous situation for everyone who had to walk anywhere, and especially so for those with mobility problems. The next night, since the seas were still pretty bad, the tables weren't set for dinner. We were given utensils as we needed them. 

6 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

You are expecting passengers to be considerate of their fellow passengers in today's "Me First" environment.

This brings to memory a very old Perry Como song, "Dream On, Little Dreamer, Dream On" !!!

😁😁😁  I live in hope........

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:18 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

We always listen to the noon reports (if in our cabin at the time) on the TV channel that shows the front of the ship.  You should always memorize that channel number to get to the important announcements in a hurry.

Is that true for all ships ??

7 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Is that true for all ships ??

No,  not on Pinnacle, you have to go to forward camera, takes a minute or two to get there.  Frustrating that you always miss the first part.

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, chengkp75 said:

It depends on what switches are thrown on the bridge to direct the messages to various areas of the ship.  True emergency messages will be sent to all cabins.

You can also hear it on your TV if you have it on the correct channel.  Can't remember if it's the "View from the Bridge" or the one that shows the map.  Of course, if it's not already on, the announcement may be over by the time you realize one is happening and find the remote.  :-)

On 10/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, RuthC said:

It was. It breached the watertight doors on Upper Promenade, and cascaded down the stairs in front of the stage. Bingo was canceled the next day, as the carpet was so wet. The gangway (I think that's what it was), that was stored on an outside forward deck, broke loose and smashed against the superstructure---leaving a large dent in it. I have pictures of the wave hitting the windows on the Bridge. 
What a mess in the shops, as everything went flying. 

It was an extremely dangerous situation for everyone who had to walk anywhere, and especially so for those with mobility problems. The next night, since the seas were still pretty bad, the tables weren't set for dinner. We were given utensils as we needed them. 

You & others had a  horrific experience .  It would scare any one for a ship to get hit that hard  Sorry it had to happen