Cruise Critic Community

We're scheduled for the June 4/14 2020 cruise to Alaska. Any suggestions re: clothing.

Plan to layer your clothing.  Have rain gear to keep you dry.  And, don't stress about "if it will be enough".  

As rkacruiser said, "Layer your clothing.  Bring rain gear." 

If you are doing excursions or walking around the ports, you will want to have a good pair of shoes for walking. I wore my trusty runners and DH wore his Blundstone leather boots. 

I would also bring a pair of gloves if the weather turns cooler or if you go on a glacier tour.

Sunglasses would also  be helpful for eye protection.

If you 'forget' something important, the ports have clothing stores with all sorts of clothing for you!

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

Have done many Alaska cruises and concur with other posters, layers are the answer however one item I always take, which has been a life saver at times, is a wool scarf. It takes little space in the luggage and can be used in a variety of ways to block out any really inclement weather or the ice cold wind you sometimes experience at the glaciers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marybon said:

We're scheduled for the June 4/14 2020 cruise to Alaska. Any suggestions re: clothing.

I would bring some . . .

My father and brother swore by their waterproof jackets/hats instead of fussing with umbrellas.

Edited by rdsqrl

2 hours ago, marybon said:

I agree layers layers layers.  🥶

If you like to hike or walk a lot, don't forget the water bottle.  Mt. Roberts is beautiful.

My musts for Alaska are gloves, a knit hat, and good binoculars--one pair per person.

umbrella's should be banned from cruise ships and excursions ...

bring disposable rain jackets/ponchos  ... cost about a buck each at a $ store ...

There's a LOT of great information on packing and other topics on the Alaska board (in the ports forum). Have fun planning!

bring a pair of waterproof shoes.  I have a pair of Merrills walking/sneakers.  They keep the wetness out and off my feet.  

Of course clothing in layers is good, but I'd also check the weather forecast a little closer to sail date than today. 😉

15 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

. . .  Mt. Roberts is beautiful.

Yes it is!  The last time we sailed in Alaska we docked right below it, so I took the opportunity to ride up to the top.  It was a gorgeous sunny day (in May) and I loved walking around up there (it's fairly flat) and being on eye level with soaring eagles!  Other times we've been in Juneau, the ceiling was pretty low so wouldn't have very good visibility up there.

Not exactly clothing, but highly recommended to bring a pair of binoculars or a very big camera zoom lens. Chances are they will help you be able to see wildlife from the ship pretty easily during Glacier Bay day.

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

umbrella's should be banned from cruise ships and excursions ...

And your reason is why?