Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, villager70 said:

You are correct that the compass now says formal but it is  a real joke. We were on Harmony for 11 days during the hurricane repo  3 weeks ago and just got off her yesterday going west again for 7 days. Both nights  I have never seen so many shorts, tee shirts and a few ball caps worn  on both formal nights. only saw a couple black tie and some suits and sport coats but mostly  shirt and trousers for men  and ladies slacks and tops. I don't do the tuxedo anymore as mine shrunk in the closet and seldom bring a sportcoat. I wear long sleeve dress shirts,short sleeve  dressy pullover, sometimes and island shirt and kaki pants or haggar dress pants and   fine for all nights. I don't know why they print that in the compass as people with shorts ,caps etc walked right by Miguel, matrade, Revelino, ast mat,  Kiran ,food and beverage director,  and four of five head waiters Jay,Yasser,Daniel and a few more. I think it's just a  unwritten company policy now  and none of the powers to be want to confront anyone and get a negative report. They also had dress in specialty listed as formal and it has always been dressy casual. I think  the key is SUGGESTED not mandatory.   I am leaving on Adventure in 18 days and it will be  dressy shirt and  sport trousers for nights and shorts for the other daily meals

What's wrong with dressing in your best attire? What happened to looking your best and feeling you best when you are with the one you love. If  your suit or tux is too tight, get it tailored. You will always look better dressed in good fitting, fine clothes. Make an effort. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BytheC said:

What's wrong with dressing in your best attire? What happened to looking your best and feeling you best when you are with the one you love. If  your suit or tux is too tight, get it tailored. You will always look better dressed in good fitting, fine clothes. Make an effort. 

 

If dressing up is what you like, nothing wrong with it.  And if what you like is being laid back and casual and are more the shorts and polo kind of person, nothing wrong with that either.

 

Glad Royal has adopted this approach - people should enjoy their vacation as they prefer

Edited by Maverick61
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a great cruise!  We love the Harmony-sailed on her in March and will again in January- not sure if I like the idea of sailing out of Orlando- as it is far from the cruise terminal and the airport is busy- but we are meeting Family at Disney after the cruise. We enjoy dressing up as we do not do so at home- except for weddings and other formal occasions.   But as a previous poster said- clothes have to fit you correctly!  Sometimes we have to buy new clothes when we cruise "too much".  

 

 Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gelynia80 said:

Mrskc08, i love your dress. Im bringing a formal dress for our cruise and im so excited to dress up!

Aww, thank you so much. My hubby actually picked it out and purchased it WITHOUT me at the store. Can you believe that? It was something out of my comfort zone, but I had recently lost over 70 pounds and feeling fabulous. I have since lost over 20 more pounds and just bout a dress on Friday for our upcoming cruise that is definitely out of my norm, but can't wait to wear it!

 

11 hours ago, BytheC said:

What's wrong with dressing in your best attire? What happened to looking your best and feeling you best when you are with the one you love. If  your suit or tux is too tight, get it tailored. You will always look better dressed in good fitting, fine clothes. Make an effort. 

Agree with this 1,000%!!

 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Have a great cruise!  We love the Harmony-sailed on her in March and will again in January- not sure if I like the idea of sailing out of Orlando- as it is far from the cruise terminal and the airport is busy- but we are meeting Family at Disney after the cruise. We enjoy dressing up as we do not do so at home- except for weddings and other formal occasions.   But as a previous poster said- clothes have to fit you correctly!  Sometimes we have to buy new clothes when we cruise "too much".  

 

 Enjoy your cruise.

We love sailing out of Canaveral, with the exception that sail away can be quite boring compared to Ft. Lauderdale especially when there are plenty of ships in port and there is a "train of cruise ships" going out of the port. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BytheC said:

What's wrong with dressing in your best attire? What happened to looking your best and feeling you best when you are with the one you love. If  your suit or tux is too tight, get it tailored. You will always look better dressed in good fitting, fine clothes. Make an effort. 

 

 

It's not that I can't get it tailored and we don't make and effort. We  have cruised  six times this year and  have seven more booked including our 50th anniversary 8 day in Jan. making  76 cruises for us. Im with the one I love every day and don't need to  put on my tuxedo to prove it  or try to impress others. If you notice  in my photo I can still wear it.  Matter a fact the last time I  had it on I had  cruisers around me wearing shorts.

    If you want to dress  formal or casual you can do so but don't get on these boards with your 7 or 8 posts  and tell people to make and effort. Many cruiser  that sail now don't wear suits or have one and many of our cruisers who FLY  now have such tight luggage restrictions and pricing they leave the dress up home. If it  bothers you   about the dress I can give you a couple lines where it is mandatory for a coat & tie.   

 

Cruising  the way we want to in Florida

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Is American Icon My Time or Traditional dining?

American Icon for all breakfast , at sea lunches, and on Harmony they use it along with two other levels at dinner. That why My time doesn't start until 6pm on Harmony.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I really don't think she meant anything rude about saying "make an effort". Remember, sometimes the written word can be taken in the wrong context. Anyway, just my thoughts.

 

You are wrong IMO.  Read her whole post.  The whole thing was judgemental and rude

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I really don't think she meant anything rude about saying "make an effort". Remember, sometimes the written word can be taken in the wrong context. Anyway, just my thoughts.

I agree. I don't think she meant anything rude at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

 

If dressing up is what you like, nothing wrong with it.  And if what you like is being laid back and casual and are more the shorts and polo kind of person, nothing wrong with that either.

 

Glad Royal has adopted this approach - people should enjoy their vacation as they prefer

Here here!  My wife and I enjoy dressing up for formal night, but I don't understand getting bent out of shape if others choose not to.  Certain people just look for reasons to be upset about something, and I think this is a prime example of that.  Have another drink and just enjoy yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Harmony this past July and it was full. We never felt the crowd until we went to the Wind Jammer. They have made it almost impossible to enjoy it with the NEW wash station. People us it as a social place to stand and talk wait for the rest of their party and all of this is after they have washes their hands. Vey frustrating. Other than that we had a fantastic cruise! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

We board on Sunday!!  I see that the first formal night is night #2.  Do you know when the second formal night is?  Thanks and have a great rest of your cruise!

It’ll be your second sea day, probably day 6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

I see that the first formal night is night #2

Where did you see that information? From the past compass from Harmony's same itinerary,  The first formal night is Night 3 on our sea day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Where did you see that information? From the past compass from Harmony's same itinerary,  The first formal night is Night 3 on our sea day.

I think I got that wrong.  In this thread the OP said "Just received our day 2 cruise compass and dress code is formal".  They must mean the compass they got on day 2 and not for day 2.  I don't think formal night would be our CocoCay day.  So are we looking at nights 3 and 6 then?  That makes more sense.  Sorry for the confusion!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

I don't think formal night would be our CocoCay day.  So are we looking at nights 3 and 6 then? 

Yes I agree. It makes sense as it would be easier to get all spiffy after a day at sea than a sun and sand day at the beach. I was going off several of the Harmony compass's posted on recent CC reviews. 3 and 6 will be perfect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RickAinley said:

When we did it couple of weeks ago it was Tuesday and Saturday nights, both sea days. 

That would make it Nights 3 and 7.  Did they really do it on the last night of the cruise?  Thanks for the help.  We've got a free (included) meal at a specialty restaurant but we can't book it until we're onboard.  So I'm just trying to figure out what day would be best.  Sounds like maybe our St. Martin day (Thursday, night 5) would be best if we want to avoid formal night or we do night 3 if we want it on formal night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

That would make it Nights 3 and 7.  Did they really do it on the last night of the cruise?  Thanks for the help.  We've got a free (included) meal at a specialty restaurant but we can't book it until we're onboard.  So I'm just trying to figure out what day would be best.  Sounds like maybe our St. Martin day (Thursday, night 5) would be best if we want to avoid formal night or we do night 3 if we want it on formal night.

It was night 3 & 6, I am looking at the Compasses from both of our weeks.

 

Sherri🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...