Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tidecat

Is 2022 the end of the line for the Carnival Fantasy?

Recommended Posts

I see the latest cruise open for booking on the Carnival Fantasy is December 28, 2021, which would return to Mobile on January 1, 2022.

 

I could see one of three things happening:

 

1) Fantasy goes into drydock as early as January 2 (January 7 would be more likely), and the ship returns to service in Mobile two weeks later.

2) Fantasy goes into drydock, but is moved to a different port upon resuming service.

3) Fantasy is laid up, and awaits a buyer if she hasn't already been sold.

 

All of the other Fantasy-class ships are open through April 2022. Given that Fantasy's last drydock was in January 2019, she will be due again in January 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another thing to consider is it could be too early to be releasing itinerary/bookings. For most cruises, the trend has always been they are released a year and half in advance. The full 2022 schedule should be released by like Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that Carnival does not have an agreement in place with the Port of Mobile for 2022. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, evandbob said:

Long overdue......

Even though the probability is extremely low, if even greater than one percent, this wouldn’t be soon enough to get rid of that rust bucket.

 

We’re probably just waiting on contract negotiations with the port.

Edited by xDisconnections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they are taking time to repair the damage from her recent "scrape" in the Panama Canal?  That was quite an impressive crunch into the sidewall there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked and you can book all the way until April 2022. I guess they updated it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VolzCruiser said:

I just looked and you can book all the way until April 2022. I guess they updated it. 

It looks like a couple of few individual sailings are still missing, but nothing that suggests timing of the dry dock.

 

I guess we're not getting any changes before October 2022 when the next XL ship begins service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tidecat said:

I guess we're not getting any changes before October 2022 when the next XL ship begins service. 

Most of the time, a dry dock is for general maintenance... not massive renovations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Mobile city officials and Carnival Cruise Line officials will sign a contract extension keeping the Carnival Fantasy in Mobile for three more years on Monday. The ceremonial signing is set for noon aboard the Fantasy.

The three year-contract extension would keep the Carnival Fantasy in Mobile through November 2022.

Carnival resumed service in Mobile in 2016. Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson has been an advocate for the city’s relationship with Carnival saying it brings tourists to Mobile.

The contract agreement also outlines the Carnival Fantasy’s schedule through December 2020

 

https://www.wkrg.com/top-stories/mobile-city-council-to-vote-on-contract-extension-with-carnival-during-tuesdays-meeting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anything larger than a Fantasy-class ship go out of Mobile? The Fantasy will be 32 years old in 2022. It can't have much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toad455 said:

Can anything larger than a Fantasy-class ship go out of Mobile? The Fantasy will be 32 years old in 2022. It can't have much longer.

The problem with Mobile is that they built a too small parking garage.  It can't even hold the car capacity for the Fantasy.  There is an overflow parking lot at auditorium across I10.  Don't see any remedy in sight.

Edited by Fla Senior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mobile had to do it all over again, the Convention Center should have replaced the Civic Center arena, and the Cruise Terminal should incorporate where the Convention Center is.

 

November 2022 will line up for some dancing of the ships after the second Mardi Gras-class ship comes online in October 2022. I wouldn't expect Mobile to move up a class, but I could see Mobile getting a newer Fantasy-class ship. There's a chance Imagination or Inspiration leave first, as it is easier to sell a 27-28 year old ship than a 32 year old ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tidecat said:

If Mobile had to do it all over again, the Convention Center should have replaced the Civic Center arena, and the Cruise Terminal should incorporate where the Convention Center is.

 

November 2022 will line up for some dancing of the ships after the second Mardi Gras-class ship comes online in October 2022. I wouldn't expect Mobile to move up a class, but I could see Mobile getting a newer Fantasy-class ship. There's a chance Imagination or Inspiration leave first, as it is easier to sell a 27-28 year old ship than a 32 year old ship.

 

Must not be that easy to sell a 27-28 year old ship. They have been trying to sell the Fantasy for the last couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several of the Holiday class ships are still sailing. 30 years is not that old for a ship. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Fantasy class ships have not been part of any refurbs has to say something to their longevity. Who knows if 2022 is the year. By 2022, Carnival will have 3 new ships in their fleet from what they have today, pretty big ones at that. I wonder if they will replace. I wonder if the Fantasy will be repurposed for more exotic itineraries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2019 at 11:50 PM, tidecat said:

I see the latest cruise open for booking on the Carnival Fantasy is December 28, 2021, which would return to Mobile on January 1, 2022.

 

I could see one of three things happening:

 

1) Fantasy goes into drydock as early as January 2 (January 7 would be more likely), and the ship returns to service in Mobile two weeks later.

2) Fantasy goes into drydock, but is moved to a different port upon resuming service.

3) Fantasy is laid up, and awaits a buyer if she hasn't already been sold.

 

All of the other Fantasy-class ships are open through April 2022. Given that Fantasy's last drydock was in January 2019, she will be due again in January 2022.

 

Don't plan on Fantasy going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...